Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After a long haitus from this site, I have finally returned. I have some pictures to share at the bottom, but right now, life is hectic in the new home and my first time being a home maker...

So Paris started his little "hip-movement" dance about 2 wks ago. He humped an Alaskan Husky (a boy at that...sheesh!) The husky towers over Paris and it's funny to watch Paris humping whatever he could get to, that includes TAIL, side of the stomach, and hind legs. Last night, I woke up to the sound of paper rustling in the play pen (I have it next to my bed). Behold, Paris had bunched up his blankey somehow and was getting real real busy with it.

Another thing I have noticed is his feistiness! He barks at absolutely everything! Not just a bark, but the bark plus angry growl, and more bark! I wonder if this behavior is attributed to his hormones going crazy at this point?

So I called my vet and scheduled an appointment for 9/20. They told me the following things (let me know what u guys think please
)

* No water, food after 8pm the night before. (can they live through the night?)

* I can't stay at the clinic to watch or wait. I must drop off before 9am and pick up the same night when they call me.

* I am getting the pre-surgery blood work done so that may lessen the chance of my baby not waking up post anesthesia?

* How do the Maltese dogs behave afterwards? Are there signs I should look for in case of complications or certain odd behaviors to expect?

I love my Paris very very much. He is my son, as I am sure most of us feel this way. Any experience you can share with me would be awesome.

here are some pictures as I promised. You can aloso see the husky in one of them too!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Hi, welcome back. I have never had a male dog so I don't have any experience to share. But I have heard that humbing is a dominancy thing not sexual. So when he humbs the husky Paris is trying to show him he (Paris) is in charge.

How old is Paris now? Lexi does the barking thing too sometimes. She started what I call her protective stage around 5 months old (about 2 months ago). She would bark and growl at everything. She is better now. She will usually settle down when I tell her it is okay.

This was the same with Lexi. She was fine. This is the same with humans.

* I can't stay at the clinic to watch or wait. I must drop off before 9am and pick up the same night when they call me.
Again, this was the same with Lexi. I dropped her off at 7:30 and picked her up at 4:30. I called at 2:30 and she was fine but they wanted to keep her until at least 4:00 for observation.

* I am getting the pre-surgery blood work done so that may lessen the chance of my baby not waking up post anesthesia?
I didn't get this done

* How do the Maltese dogs behave afterwards? Are there signs I should look for in case of complications or certain odd behaviors to expect?
Since I have never had a male dog I can not help you with this one.

I love the pictures! Paris is so cute. So is your husky.

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey was spayed today. She had the blood work before the surgery. The vet told me one of the reasons she likes the blood work done is first to make sure she is healthly and second if Lacey does develop a problem she will have blood work to compare to.

I have had two male dogs before Lacey. Male dogs seem to bounce right back from the surgery. Lacey is my first female dog. I dropped her off at the vet's at 8 am this morning. Called at 1:30 and was told she was fine. Picked her up at 4:30. She has been sleeping since I brought her home. Vet told me she will proberly sleep through the night. She is to stay quite and not get excited for the next 10 days.

Lacey has had no food since 8 pm last night and no water since 11 pm last night. She seems fine. Vet told me I could offer her a small amount of water at 9 pm tonight. If she keeps that down I can offer her 1/2 of the amount of food she usually eats.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We have not done this yet...but the food thing is fine. I take up Brinkley's food and water every night...sometimes before 8. He makes it fine through the night.

My vet also said drop in the morning-pick up in the afternoon.

Brinkley has had some odd behaviors lately that I am attributing to hormones.
He will have his done next month.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy did fine without the food and water.. he didn't even seem to miss it all that much.

I couldn't stay either and they kept Tuffy overnight so I didn't get him back until 11am the next day. They did call me after he was out of surgery to let me know he was fine.

I also opted for the blood work, it was about $25 extra but I felt it was worth it.

Tuffy acted the same, but I've heard that it takes months for them to actually stop making sperm and stuff and that you still need to keep him away from females because he can still get them pregnant. It's been about 2 1/2 months since I got Tuffy neutered and I am starting to see some of his behavior change, he seems to have mellowed out a bit and he isn't as high strung as before.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to all that shared their experiences with me. I just want him to be safe, above all else. He is my little boy~~~!

I can't wait for him to wear the satellite dish. I bet it would be really funny =)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Sep 9 2004, 04:07 PM
Hello all,

After a long haitus from this site, I have finally returned.  I have some pictures to share at the bottom, but right now, life is hectic in the new home and my first time being a home maker...

So Paris started his little "hip-movement" dance about 2 wks ago.  He humped an Alaskan Husky (a boy at that...sheesh!)  The husky towers over Paris and it's funny to watch Paris humping whatever he could get to, that includes TAIL, side of the stomach, and hind legs.  Last night, I woke up to the sound of paper rustling in the play pen (I have it next to my bed).  Behold, Paris had bunched up his blankey somehow and was getting real real busy with it. 

Another thing I have noticed is his feistiness!  He barks at absolutely everything!  Not just a bark, but the bark plus angry growl, and more bark!  I wonder if this behavior is attributed to his hormones going crazy at this point?

So I called my vet and scheduled an appointment for 9/20.  They told me the following things (let me know what u guys think please 
)

* I can't stay at the clinic to watch or wait.  I must drop off before 9am and pick up the same night when they call me.

I love my Paris very very much.  He is my son, as I am sure most of us feel this way.  Any experience you can share with me would be awesome.

here are some pictures as I promised.  You can aloso see the husky in one of them too!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8774
[/QUOTE]

Gigolo is also being neutered on 9/15. I've been through this before with my previous maltese, Geronimo, who was fine post surgery. Everything that you stated..no food, no water etc is fairly standard, My vet said he could have water in the AM, just no food. Doing the blood work pre op is what any responsible vet should do. I've heard that they tend to want to keep larger dogs overnight (until the anesthesia wears off) but our little guys..Gigolo is 3 lbs at 6 mos. they said I would most probably get to take him home. Your little guy should be fairly subdued, perhaps even sleepy, or quite the opposit..very "pissed- off" that you did the "snip, snip"..by the way, it isn't "snip snip." For all the squeamish men, read no further.....What actually happens is they made a small incision at the base of the penis and "work" the testicles up the base until they pop them out the incision!! Therefore no incisions on the scrotem. At least that was my experience with Geronimo and they said they still do it the same way!! Your baby will be fine! You may need some hand holding!!
Good Luck
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats exactly what happened with us. all 3 pre-blood tests were mandatory for us though. and ask for pain meds, some vets think thats optional.

you asked if you could watch the surgery?? why did they say no? i told cynthia that it would be super awesome if i had a viewing room (like in the movies) so that people can watch me do surgeries when i'm a vet. hopefully i'm that confident when the time comes.

good luck!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
by the way, it isn't "snip snip."  For all the squeamish men, read no further.....What actually happens is they made a small incision at the base of the penis and "work" the testicles up the base until they pop them out the incision!!  Therefore no incisions on the scrotem.  At least that was my experience with Geronimo and they said they still do it the same way!!  Your baby will be fine!  You may need some hand holding!!
Good Luck[/B]
Gigolo's Mom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8866

:eek: SQEAMISH MEN?! I should have stopped reading!
That is awful!!!! It seems like an awful long way from the base of his penis to his testicles! He is longer than some! Oh me! Maybe I will reconsider!
Not really, but that made my heart stop! And who said that the pain meds were optional? Cathy? I am assuming that is post-op pain meds? I would think they would def. need that for a day or two! Sheesh! I liked the "snip-snip" idea much better!!!! My poor baby!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this one vet said that females definitely need the pain meds for after the surgery....but for males it was optional.

one after sprite got her hernia correction, they didnt give me pain meds because they thought i didnt want it :eek: that freaked me out. we had to wait till 7am the next day to get pain meds. i was waiting at the door of the vets office!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I posted on another question about spay/neuter. We just had both done on Thursday (9-9) and the boy did so well. When we brought him home that night you would not have even known they did anything to him. The little girl had a few issues-
they did get pain meds and if you can get the chewable it is so much easier, Josie got chewable and Pudge didn't so I went back and got him chewables, they like the taste and it saves you from having to fight them to give it :wacko: Our litte boy tried to mount Josie that night after surgery
I checked with the vet and they said it can take a bit for them to get over this and that with our little girl having been spayed her urine was probably concentrated and that is what he was smelling and causing the "urge" :eek: Aren't they fun. I would not trade mine for anything....we also had the blood work, it gave peace of mind and a baseline in case future issues arise. Good luck...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dropped Gigolo off at the vet this AM to be neutered sometime today (hopefully sooner than later) because I did request to bring him home tonight..if he doesn't have to stay overnight why keep him in a cage in a strange environment. He obviously doesn't know what the vet's office is all about because he was very happy to have the tech take him from me and go "upstairs"!! He has only been there twice before and has only had 2 injections which I guess weren't traumatic for him. Still naive to the world around him. I remember that my previous maltese, Geronimo, was the same way until after a few shots & his neutering! I couldn't even walk with him in the direction of Lexington Ave near the vet's office ( I live in Manhattan) without him begin to shake! Don't recall Geronimo needing any pain meds, do recall that they suggest not to feed the animals until the anesthesia fully wears off. Wondering if they will give Gigolo one of those "lampshade collars" to keep him from licking the incision. Considering the surgeries that Geronimo had (including having his lung removed)..being neutered is like a walk in the park!!
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by Gigolo's Mom@Sep 15 2004, 09:39 AM
Dropped Gigolo off at the vet this AM to be neutered sometime today (hopefully sooner than later) because I did request to bring him home tonight..if he doesn't have to stay overnight why keep him in a cage in a strange environment.  He obviously doesn't know what the vet's office is all about because he was very happy to have the tech take him from me and go "upstairs"!! He has only been there twice before and has only had 2 injections which I guess weren't traumatic for him. Still naive to the world around him.  I remember that my previous maltese, Geronimo, was the same way until after a few shots & his neutering!  I couldn't even walk with him in the direction of Lexington Ave near the vet's office ( I live in Manhattan) without him begin to shake! Don't recall Geronimo needing any pain meds, do recall that they suggest not to feed the animals until the anesthesia fully wears off.  Wondering if they will give Gigolo one of those "lampshade collars" to keep him from licking the incision. Considering the surgeries that Geronimo had (including having his lung removed)..being neutered  is like a walk in the park!!
Gigolo's Mom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9245
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gigolo was neutered yesterday and I didn't want him to stay overnight at the vet, so I picked him up around 4:30PM. He whimpered when they handed him over to me but otherwise appeared ok. They told me try to keep him from licking the incision and to keep an eye out for any swelling and if there is to call them immediately! No pain meds or ointment on the incision. They also suggested that I put him on Adult formula dog food now as they tend to gain weight after this procedure. Gigolo is 6 1/2 months old and 3 lbs!! Also I shouldn't feed him for several hours and not to be surprised if he thows up!!

Got into my boyfriend's car and I didn't even get my seat belt fastened when Gigolo started squealing, crying, barking (he rarely barks) all at the same time. Just as I was opening the car door to take him back in to determine what was wrong, he quieted down. Drove to my apt with him in my arms with him making very low noises. I got out and wne upstairs with him, while my boyfriend was circling for a parking spot (a premium in Manhattan). I put him down in the den and he started the routine of crying, squealing.....I didn't know what to do first...should I call my boyfriend and tell him not to park and that we were going back to the vet or should I call the vet...I opted for the vet. managed to tell the receptionist what was happening (she could hear Gigolo in the background), then of course she puts me on hold. By the time the technician picked up the phone, Gigolo had quieted him down. I know the tech very well, as he also helped care for Gigolo's predecessor, Geronimo. He told me that Gigolo was going through what any dog who had anesthesia would experience...disoriented, a heightened sense of everything yet knowing that it wasn't normal.....So I said to him, "Oh, you mean he's stoned!" He laughed and said , "Exactly!" He furhered added that when the dogs stay overnight their owners don't see them experiencing this!! So Gigolo and I spent a very sleepless night....Into the crate at 7PM, out at 9PM. I took him to his wee wee pads but just stood in the kitchen ( on the strip of carpet that I put down when he first got home since he was sliding all over the ceramic tile!). I didn't even see that he urinated on the carpet (din't squat..just stood still), back into the crate, squealing again at 11PM, out of the crate into the kitchen to the pads, missed them, I gave him a little food and waited until 12:30AM to make sure he didn't throw up. Back into the crate at 12:30AM. Squealed again at 5:15AM..did the same routine, this time he made on the wee wee pads. Back into the crate until 9:20AM. No squealing but still subdued, low noises when I pick him up. Keeps his legs tightly closed (understandably) but everything looks ok so far. No bowel movement (not that I blame him).

Stitches come out next week!! Needless to say I'm not at work today and feel the sleep deprivation that I felt when I first brought Gigolo home!!! This too shall pass!
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
323 Posts
:wacko: I am glad your little guy is doing better, I can relate, ours just went through this last week ( I am grateful for a vet that understands my panic phone calls :eek: ) We took ours home that night also, and our little boy ate within 1/2 of being home and you 'd never know he had anything done, they are all so different you never know how they will respond, just like us humans. Hope he continues to improves..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update:

I cancelled the appointment because we had hurricanes here right before the procedure and Paris' had "runny poop."

I thought it over; wouldn't it be too harsh to withold food and water from him when he is already feeling so crappy? to top it off, he will have to leave the comfort of his home (and mommy's side) when he is sick? I finally just said, forget it, another time.

so I am calling them to see if anything is open for this month...

On another note, I got Paris micro-chipped. YAY! I only wish they would make something like doggy-loJack. My husband said that if people find Paris they most likely won't take him to be scanned because they would want to keep him for themselves (due to the cuteness and how much Maltese are in general.)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
parismom, i totally understand how you feel. i dont like leaving the dogs when they arent feeling well.
thats cool that he got microchipped though. lets hope there is a lo-jack some day. my sister also thinks that people will try to accuse of her stealing ellie and sprite--like while she's walking them. so at least she could call the cops to set them straight. <---sounds a little paranoid, but i'm sure it happens somewhere

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi everyone!

Paris had the surgery Wednesday (10/21). He was so afraid going to the vet's. It's strange because he's never been so nervous in the past... My husband and I joke about it now because my husband was pointing to Paris' testicles and saying "bye bye to these!" all week long. Wonder if Paris finally understood...lol

I dropped him off in the morning, and came back home because I was too anxious and nervous. Decided to sleep it off after my nth call to the Vet's office on his status. He was fine. Wokeup right before I had to pick him up to bring him home. When I saw him, he looked so sad! He gave me those, where where you mom eyes, and I just held him tight and said, it's ok. Mommy is here now and we are going home. We got some antibiotics and went on home. The first night he cried because he wanted to be with me... We had him sleeping on the floor (although it was quite a comfortable set-up) instead of his usual playpen's second level. I guess he was just not comfy with that because he felt all alone on the floor (our bed is quite high). Since hubby had to work in the morning, I picked Paris up and we went into the living room to watch some tv and talk. One thing I noticed is that the stitches were minimal. Only a few at the base of the penis it seems. He wasn't in pain much because today, he's all bouncy like normal. We are due back in seven days for the stitch removal. In the mean time, no bath, and I am doing my best to keep the satellite dish on his head (just in case he wants to lick down there). He is so cute but so smelly! I wish I can wash him. While he was at the Vets, I also had them take a sample culture from his ears (in case of ear infection) and check his breath issues. The ear tests came back great and no signs of ear infections and the breath was attributed to loose puppy teeth. The vet advised me to wait a little longer before I decide to have them pulled. I agreed... So it's bad breath in the mean time.

Horrible thing... Paris pooed on himself at the Vet's office. Since he had the surgery, they couldn't just wash it off or anything so they tried their best to clean off the butt and the tail area with some solution that's yellow. So it's not a poopey smell, but a weird, chemical-dirty dog smell. I love my little boy so I try to hold my breath when he comes to give me kisses or just want to sit by me.

Here are some pictures if you are interested in this sort of thing (which I am always interested in your pictures, by the way !!! Love them!!! )

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Your little guy is sooooooo cute!
Doesn't look like the procedure has bothered him much!.. His expressions seems to show a very contented little pooch!....."party-hat" and all!
Hope his recovery is speedy!!
Terry and Missy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts