Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this afternoon I took Neyland to the vet for a quick check-over and to set up a date for his next round of shots, find our when to start heartworm, yada-yada-yada....

I was very concientious about not letting him on the ground and kept him in my lap wrapped in his blanket the whole time.

Well....while we were in the exam room and the Miss Vet was clipping his nails (check-over went fine)....the vet tech, was telling Miss Vet about this dog in the back of a truck in the parking lot who the crazy owner guy thought had been poisoned, but he had all the parvo signs. They would not let him bring him in, and she didn't touch him, but said he looked awful. We talked ugly about idiot people who don't vaccinate their pets or think about others....As I was leaving, I heard Mr. Vet telling the guy that he indeed did have parvo.

So now I am a nervous wreck!!!

I am sure everyone who handled Neyland was fine, but the guy himself had been in...opened the door, sat in the chair, walked on the floor....etc.
I am sure HE had probably touched the dog....so now I am a worried mess...is it THAT easy to catch? We came right home and washed our hands really well...
(even though it might have been beyond help by then, it made me feel better. )
Neyland went right into his carrier when I finished in the exam room.

I just don't know that much about it...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Sorry can't help but I would suggest wiping the bottoms of your shoes with bleach and not taking them into the house until they are dry. If you did bring them into the house wash the floors and not let Neyland in there until then.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, bless your heart..... I would be the same as you....

I do think he'll be fine because Neyland didn't touch anything that had Parvo on it and neither did you. If you think the virus got on anything, I would use bleach on it.....

Here's how they catch it: The virus gets into the environment by being shed in the feces. A dog can then get the virus on his feet and lick them, ingesting the virus. Parvo virus is common in environments where dogs live, walk and play. Mature dogs can shed the virus without appearing ill. A dog who has had parvo virus will shed the virus for up to 6 months.

http://www.njvma.org/new/health/diseases.asp

Parvo virus is spread from dog to dog mainly in the stool or vomit of infected dogs. This virus can live in the environment for weeks to months given the right conditions. Humans who contact the virus from infected animals or areas, can expose the virus to a dog.

http://www.vet4petz.com/articles/parvo.htm

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I am just going to go on the fact that nobody there seemed real concerned about us...even when I asked for anti-bacterial wipes...so maybe it is ok since we didn't really come in contact with the dog.

After reading a few parvo sites, I guess you can pick it up anywhere if it is present.
I need to be worried every day if I am gonna worry...
You can even bring it home on your car tires...

Anyway, going to bleach the bottoms of our shoes, just to be safe.

Any other advice to ease my mind or make me worry more?
Off to a ball game, but will check back later....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How many sets of shots does Neyland have? If he had at least 2 sets, he should have most of the immunity to Parvo already. I find vets often diagnose parvo much much too quickly. How does your vet know he has parvo without running a test? Sorry, my kids were misdiagnosed for Parvo once and I know the fear you are going through. I couldn't sleep.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many sets of shots does Neyland have? If he had at least 2 sets, he should have most of the immunity to Parvo already. I find vets often diagnose parvo much much too quickly. How does your vet know he has parvo without running a test? Sorry, my kids were misdiagnosed for Parvo once and I know the fear you are going through. I couldn't sleep.[/B]

He has only had one set, not quite ready for a second yet.

The vet did look at something through a microscope or something back there before he broke the news to the man...I was only partly paying attention b/c the other vet techs were ooohing/aaahing over my baby.

I feel a little better tonight after talking to hubby and a few friends.
If it is that easy to get, then all of us with pups that are not immune...and some who think we are immune...should worry. Remember, one on here got Parvo when he should have been more than vaccinated enough. I think it just freaked me out to begin with. I was being extra careful with Neyland.
Heck, I went in Petsmart and took Brink potty at rest stops on the trip...so I guess if I wanted to freak out, I could REALLY freak out...who knows where the stuff is and who is bringing it places.
Hubby said he wondered how many times we had been to the vet and NOT known that a parvo case had been in...or that someone who had a parvo case at home had not been in. He said it just made it worse b/c I KNEW it...maybe so.

Anyway, thanks for the good thoughts.
You can bet that at ANY sign of anything amiss....I will be AT THEIR DOOR!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Poor Traci! I would be a nervous wreck. Now having said that, I don't think you should worry too much. Just keep a close watch and make sure you cleaned everything good.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh you poor girl, I would have been horrified just as you are, but I am sure you have done all you can to keep you little one safe

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Oh you poor girl, I would have been horrified just as you are, but I am sure you have done all you can to keep you little one safe
[/B]

I sure hope all is well with little Neyland.

I want to point out that this is a good reason why many breeders do their own shots before taking their pups in to the vet. Since a Maltese doesn't leave its home until at least 12 weeks, they can have two shots before they go in for a vet check. It's not done to save money, but to save lives. Also, some of the very small ones are just given Parvo/Distemper for the first one or two shots, and vets don't always have this in their office. And, folks it doesn't take a rocket scientist to give a shot, so this is not something that a vet has to do. I know you may come back at me with "what about reactions", well you have stuff here to be prepared for that too. The only problems I've ever had with mine with shots has been at the vet's office.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/B]

I want to point out that this is a good reason why many breeders do their own shots before taking their pups in to the vet. Since a Maltese doesn't leave its home until at least 12 weeks, they can have two shots before they go in for a vet check. It's not done to save money, but to save lives. Also, some of the very small ones are just given Parvo/Distemper for the first one or two shots, and vets don't always have this in their office. And, folks it doesn't take a rocket scientist to give a shot, so this is not something that a vet has to do. I know you may come back at me with "what about reactions", well you have stuff here to be prepared for that too. The only problems I've ever had with mine with shots has been at the vet's office.
[/B]

Maybe I should have waited...sure I hope I don't regret it...

Now I am back to being scared again...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Oh, poor little guy!! I know how that kind of worrying feels, I hope that Neyland didnt catch Parvo, but I'm sure hes fine!!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Feeling bad for you, too, and hoping Neyland will be okay. I know it is nuts but I DREAD going to the vets for just such reasons.
That and the shot reaction worry.
Bella is an adult and had her parvo shots....I mostly worry she will pick up kennel cough.
It reminds me of when my skin kids were little....they seemed to always get a cold AFTER a well check up at the doctor's office.

Hugs to you and Neyland

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
[/B]

[/B]
I think it definitely makes sense for the breeder to give puppy shots. No, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to give shots and frankly with our last vet visit -- I am convinced that I know more about taking care of my dog than certain vets. No offense, but I can tell an infected skin, conjunctivities and other run of the mill problems as much as they can.
So, I am sure that you can administer benadryl or any other anti-histamine as needed for your pups.

Traci, I am sure everything will turn out okay, but I certainly understand the worry

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I would suggest that you take your dog to the vet in its carrier. Leave it in the carrier while in the waiting room, and only remove it after you get into the exam room with it. I have one friend who takes her own towel to put on the doctor's exam table. When he/she finishes with her dog or pups, she folds the towel up, puts it in a bag, and takes it home to wash. One of the things that would make me so mad at my former vet's office was when they would take the sick dogs from the back and weigh them on the same scale they weighed my healthy dogs on.

[/B]

[/B]
I think it definitely makes sense for the breeder to give puppy shots. No, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to give shots and frankly with our last vet visit -- I am convinced that I know more about taking care of my dog than certain vets. No offense, but I can tell an infected skin, conjunctivities and other run of the mill problems as much as they can.
So, I am sure that you can administer benadryl or any other anti-histamine as needed for your pups.

Traci, I am sure everything will turn out okay, but I certainly understand the worry

[/B]

The last time I assisted with one of my dogs in a c-section, the vet said he wasn't sure what was the pup and what was the dog's stomach. Now, tell me they teach more than that in vet school. He told me during this time that he learned to do stomach surgery on cows when the vet he was doing his externship went on call and left him to "learn it on his own" with a cow who needed surgery.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes Traci keep us all posted on Neyland boy makes a person think twice just taking them to a vet anymore let alone anywhere else. I won't be taking my fluffs in the store with me from now on I would be a basket case if any of mine got Parvo or anything else as far as that goes. I will keep him in my prayers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would be so worried too but he probably is fine. I have gone so far as to walk outside with my girls if something looks suspicious!
Isn't it ironic that the very places that we take our babies to keep them healthy can also be the most dangerous??? I worry about the vets offices and examining rooms. They may wipe the table off with disinfectant but what about the rest of the room, airborn germs, fungus and all of the other nasties that can get near our babies? Also the groomers!
OK...I worry a lot I guess!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts