Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wasn't there an age and vaccination requirement for the puppy to enter the class? I would feel much safer knowing that a puppy had all of it's shots before being around others.

As long as she had showered and changed her clothes you should be alright. When I worked in a vet clinic I had to care for parvo puppies. I would shower and change immediately when I got home before handling my own dogs. If you think about it vets and vet techs deal with parvo, yet they still have dogs of their own.

You may want to call your vet to be sure and also do a google search for how parvo is spread.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parvo is transmitted by fecal oral...meaning the dog has to eat the infected poop of the dog with parvo. what makes the transmission bad is it only takes the size of the tip of a pin to give a dog the virus, so you might not see the feces but it is there. the puppy should be protected with the shots it has gotten but i would call the vet and see if they want to boost the vaccines. if you are watchful of the signs of parvo..vomitting and bloody diarrhea, you can catch it early and it can be treated. i hope this eases your worries.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We called up the vet and they said it was pretty unlikely that Palbert could contract the virus, but to be watchful. He also said that we took the right steps in trying to prevent the spread. So, fingers crossed, everything will be fine. I'm still pretty peeved at Petsmart for allowing that trainer to continue to teach the class.. Tuffy and another dog already have had all their shots, but there was a Doberman that hadn't had all his shots and I've been reading that they are more susceptible than other dogs to Parvo so I feel that they shouldn't have even taken the chance of having a trainer that was exposed to it in there. I'm just really shocked at how unprofessional they turned out to be.. <_<

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I agree! Shouldn't she be in quarantine or something?!!! Like SARS????!!!

I would be so angry if she told me, after we're already there and getting friendly about "oh and my dogs had parvo..."

sheesh! <_<

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
im am so seriously pissed at your trainer. you should make her pay for the vet bills or something. thats so stupid! ugh.

but dont worry. we would take gruffi to the park when he was little(to go potty cuz he would watch ellie and sprite train) and he never got sick. we also would baby wipe his paws when we would get in the car. which is a good idea anyway to do....cuz dogs can get parvo from cleaning their feet if they stepped in poo or something accidentally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts