Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know about any of you, but I'm starting to get ansy waiting for my new puppy. I don't know anything, except when I called a few weeks ago, the breeder said, "he was doing fine." I don't call her much because she seems like she's really busy. I'd love to see a picture or something! She did tell me I could see him after the 4th of July, and that will probably be in another 2 weeks. Other than that, I'll probably have to wait until the end of July to get him. I want him to be fully weaned, though. The breeder's name is Darlene, but I wish she was like the other lady's breeder who posts on here. Anyway, something good will come out of all this waiting, I'm sure.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm glad your breeder is making you wait to see him, even though the wait is killing you! She's just protecting him from germs, like Parvo, that can be brought in by strangers.

He'll be 12 weeks when you bring him home, right? It will be worth the wait since he will have learned very important lessons from his mom and siblings in those final few weeks that will make him a much better behaved dog his whole life. And often the breeder has them partially housebroken, too, by 12 weeks!

Have you chosen a name for your guy yet?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Congrats! Can she send you some pictures? That helps the time go by a little quicker. If you get pics be sure to post them. Just out of curiosity what is the breeder's last name?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Is it Darlene Wilkinson of Gayla Maltese? She has an excellent reputation.

She was on your list of potentia breeders, too, wasn't she, Kristi?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I hope she keeps him for 12 weeks, it's just not seeing any pictures that's hard. She lives in New York state near Albany, not sure of her last name. I discovered the name Benji on Animal Planet that I might possibly give him. Went through a lot of boys' names before I got to that one. Okay, when I take pictures next week, I'll figure out how to post them.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just my opinion, but you really should find out the last name of this breeder so you can check her out a bit. You definately want to make sure she isn't a USDA licensed breeder or broker. There are a lot of of unscrupulous people out there who take advantage of the emotions and excitement of someone looking for a puppy.

How did you find this woman? Have you checked references? Put down a deposit?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 28 2005, 11:56 AM
Is it Darlene Wilkinson of Gayla Maltese? She has an excellent reputation.

She was on your list of potentia breeders, too, wasn't she, Kristi?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75968
[/QUOTE]
Darlene Wilkinson was on my list. Charmypoo recommended her but the phone number I had was the wrong number. Never did get the correct one and I didn't have an email address so I was never able to contact her.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already put a deposit down on him. Is it too late to ask for references? I found her through the newspaper. She also breeds other kinds of dogs; mixes, yorkies, etc. I looked on the web site someone posted of puppymill breeders, and she wasn't on it. She said this was a really good quality litter because the father has champion lines, and I got a limited registration, ACA.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'd suggest reading what the US Humane Society has to say about buying a puppy through a newspaper ad.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_adoption_info...buying_a_puppy/

Unfortunately, selling several different breeds and especially mixes are major red flags. "Champion lines" are red flag words, too, as most purebred dogs have champion lines ..... somewhere.

Here's another article to read:

http://www.phouka.com/puppy/bdr_irres.html

It's never too late to ask for references, insist on seeing her kennels, etc. The worst that can happen is that you change your mind and lose a deposit. That is far better than to end up with a genetically unsound puppy or a puppy that really isn't pure Maltese. (Did you know that many unscrupulous breeders mix Westies and Bichons in their lines to add size so they can produce more puppies?)

Forums like spoiledmaltese are full of sad stories of people who have been ripped off by unscrupulous people. One of our posters recently was shipped a completely different puppy than she had put a deposit on!

As with real estate, the # rule of buying a puppy is "buyer beware"!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 28 2005, 01:34 PM
I'd suggest reading what the US Humane Society has to say about buying a puppy through a newspaper ad.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_adoption_info...buying_a_puppy/

Unfortunately, selling several different breeds and especially mixes are major red flags. "Champion lines" are red flag words, too, as most purebred dogs have champion lines ..... somewhere.

Here's another article to read:

http://www.phouka.com/puppy/bdr_irres.html

It's never too late to ask for references, insist on seeing her kennels, etc. The worst that can happen is that you change your mind and lose a deposit. That is far better than to end up with a genetically unsound puppy or a puppy that really isn't pure Maltese. (Did you know that many unscrupulous breeders mix Westies and Bichons in their lines to add size so they can produce more puppies?)

Forums like spoiledmaltese are full of sad stories of people who have been ripped off by unscrupulous people. One of our posters recently was shipped a completely different puppy than she had put a deposit on!

As with real estate, the # rule of buying a puppy is "buyer beware"!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75996
[/QUOTE]
I agree with Lady'sMom.

Also check out this thread: Questions To Ask Breeders, And Things To Look For

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Marj, I was getting ready to post something similar but see you've done it and better than I would have done! Bridge, I can't say enough about taking Lady's Mom's advice....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Bridge, just so you know, I am passionate about this subject because my precious Lady is a poorly bred Maltese. I love her with all my heart, but would never ever want anyone to suffer through the heartache, fear and sadness her chronic health problems have caused me.

I rescued Lady at age 4&1/2. She was apparently healthy up until then, so even if you get a puppy who appears healthy in the first couple years, there is no guarentee that it won't develop health problems later on. My Lady is epileptic and without medication has cluster seizures every few days which could be fatal or cause permanent brain damage. She is also diabetic and requires twice daily insulin shots. Most diabetic dogs eventually go blind. Lady has a heart murmur, immune related inflamatory joint disease, and allergies. Her medications and diabetic supplies alone run about $150 a month. She has almost died twice in the past 5 years. My amazing vets saved her twice, but I have had some hefty vet bills.

The money I have spent means nothing, though. It is the hours spent rocking her in the darkness, waiting for my vet to open, praying she would live until then. Or holding her poor little body convulsed in seizures and seeing the the fear in her eyes. And the "heart in my throat" terror that I feel every single day when I unlock my front door after after the work day, wondering what I will find.

I don't want you or anyone else to ever have to experience that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for that great thread, Lady's mom! The breeder seemed to be knowledgeable, but she breeds different breeds and had them all in a kennel in another building. When I asked if I could see the other dogs, she said, "Next time". She also told me that I couldn't see the mom on my first visit (when the puppy was 2 weeks old) because the mom might get my scent, get excited and step on one of the puppies. I was a little suspicious when she wouldn't let me see mom. She said the dad was breeding somewhere else. She exchanges sires with another breeder, like the other breeder she knows takes her male yorkie, and this lady gets the male maltese. Does any of this sound suspicious to you guys??

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Jun 29 2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks so much for that great thread, Lady's mom!  The breeder seemed to be knowledgeable, but she breeds different breeds and had them all in a kennel in another building.  When I asked if I could see the other dogs, she said, "Next time".  She also told me that I couldn't see the mom on my first visit (when the puppy was 2 weeks old) because the mom might get my scent, get excited and step on one of the puppies.  I was a little suspicious when she wouldn't let me see mom.  She said the dad was breeding somewhere else.  She exchanges sires with another breeder, like the other breeder she knows takes her male yorkie, and this lady gets the male maltese.  Does any of this sound suspicious to you guys??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76175
[/QUOTE]

The part I don't like is that she has them "in a kennel in another building". I would want my puppy raised inside the home around people.

There are just so many red flags here.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was raised in a kennel and Nikki was home raised. Don't know if it is due to that or just their personalities but Nikki is a lot calmer and way easier to potty train. When I was looking for a breeder this time I only looked at breeders that home raised. The cool thing with home raised puppies is that they have already started being potty trained when you get them.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Kristis, your experience with your two also backs up what the article says about how important being home raised is to a puppy's future attitude towards humans, training, etc.

Since Bridge is new to SM, maybe you could share your experience with Lexi's attitude when she matured and why you did the Nothing is for Free program with her?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 29 2005, 10:00 AM
Kristis, your experience with your two also backs up what the article says about how important being home raised is to a puppy's future attitude towards humans, training, etc.

Since Bridge is new to SM, maybe you could share your experience with Lexi's attitude when she matured and why you did the Nothing is for Free program with her?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76202
[/QUOTE]
I got Lexi in April of 2004 when she was 11 weeks old. She was a really sweet heart. We started some training classes in late summer and took another one in the fall. I got busy at work over the winter so we couldn't train. Around Christmas time (she was 11 months old) she started to get aggressive to unknown dogs. At first I didn't think anything of it, so I didn't really do anything about it. In January 2005 she started to get aggressive towards me when I would get ready to leave to back to the office after my lunch break. At first she just growled and I would tell her no. It got to the point that she snapped at me and eventually bite me. I talked to my trainer and they had me sign up for an obedience class (which didn't start for a month) and in the mean time try the Nothing In Life Is Free Program. It was a lot of work but after a few weeks I could see an improvement. When the training class started up I saw a major change in her attitude.

I've noticed that if I don't practice her training with her on a regular basis she started to get snappy. This month has been really nuts so I haven't been that good with the training and I've noticed she is getting snappy with me again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. I've been watching alot of the Dog Whisperer, and I'm getting really good hints from him. The breeder says her daughter interacts with the puppies, dresses them up, etc. I'm hoping everything will be okay using all the good advice I've gotten so far and I have to work with him more.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts