Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puddles and I started on a walking program. We both have added a few
pounds this winter. Puddles is up to 10.5 lbs.

I am concern about his paws. A girl at work said she had been walking and didn't know she was hurting her yorkie until it was to late. The paws had small holes and her vet about cussed her out.

We live in the country and will be walking on dirt and asphalt roads. This week we have started slow on the asphalt road in front of my home, don't want to over do it at 1st.

What type of protect should I start looking for, as in shoes. I don't want to waste money if they don't stay on well. Hubby will
me out of the house once I buy them. But oh well, the best for our babies.....right :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks.....I had no ideal of the price .... ouch.

But don't think I have a choice but to try them.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
sorry they're so expensive but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do for these babies

let us know which ones you choose and send PICTURES!

i think you should get the sneakers

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@May 5 2005, 08:56 PM
I would not order fashion shoes for this. I would order a sturdy walking boot like Muttlucks that are made to be durable in just these conditions. They stay on quite well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60238
[/QUOTE]
Ahhh! That's the name I've been trying to think of!! I got them in size xxx small (itty bitty size) for Peanut (5.5 pounds) during the winter with all the salt on the sidewalks. The first time he wore them he was hopping around and he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've heard good things about a paw wax called Musher's Secret that is supposed to create a barrier between the paw and the ground. Here's a link:

Musher's Secret

I think I'd still stick with booties though cause I bet their paws will be kinda dirty after a long walk.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
cant their feet just toughen up? i used to walk my dogs like 3 times a day for 15 min each time. then it got to 1 walk for an hour. and now we're at 2 walks for one hour each. their feet are totally fine. and we also walk into this woodsy area (its a trail between houses...hard to explain) but they walk on rocks a little bit. but their mostly on sidewalk or asphalt. they're fine.
no shoes here.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I got the booties because of all the salt on the roads during the winter. I read somewhere that it's dangerous for dogs to walk on it because if they lick their feet it's poisonous. other than that I don't use the booties, I just wipe his feet when we come back in the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts