Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 4 month old puppy has been diagnosed with Patent ductus arteriosus, PDA.
The very irresponsible breeder knew there may be a “problem“, so she refunded our money and we decided to give Pearl a chance. Now what to do? Just waiting for her to start showing signs of heart failure is all too much! Vet didn’t suggest surgery, just explained how soon symptoms will likely start 😩
Anyone else had this issue and if so can you share your experience.
Heartbroken
Kim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,352 Posts
I am sorry you are having to deal with this. {{{{}}}} I believe that one of the dogs in the rescue group had surgery for that and did well. I am surprised that your veterinarian did not make any suggestions for you. But I would think that consulting with a cardiologist might be a good first step. If there is a veterinary school near you, that might be another possibility.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,414 Posts
I'm sorry you're having to go through this. The advice to consult a cardiologist is great advice. Hopefully, others on here know of a pup with similar experiences.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,038 Posts
Just saw this message since I'm not on here much. We've had several Maltese surrendered to us at American Maltese Association Rescue who have had the PDA surgery and it's been extremely successful and has saved and given them life. I would find a cardiologist. They usually do it at around 6 months and may put the puppy on some meds beforehand. With out the surgery the dog could die around age one. With it, a full life.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top