Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight when I was petting Pipper I noticed a small pea sized lump on his back just under the skin. When I say just under the skin I mean that if I pinch a small area of skin, the lump is in that area between my fingers, it's not adhered to his actual body, just the inside of his skin. I KNOW it wasn't there yesterday, I don't think it was even there this morning . If it's not gone in a day or two I will make a vet appointment but in the meantime anyone have an idea what this could be.
The skin isn't red or anything on the surface.
I know it's not a lipoma because I know what they feel like

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Could it be a scebaceos (sp?) cyst?? I actually have one that is just under my skin on my back and it comes and goes.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope it's just something like that. I will give it a couple of days and see what happens. It's not even really a lump, more just a little bump attached to the underside of the skin, almost like a pimple under the skin but about pea sized and no redness.

·
Premium Member
17,447 Posts
Kitzi's lump started like that but over a year it developed into an external looking horn. We had it biopsied & it was not cancer. JoAnn here had her's evaluated & it was (they looked basically the same from the picutres), so it is best to let the vet look. Again, both of ours grew & were in the end horn shaped external growths. Mine was more brownish/gray & her's was lighter in color.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I couldn't wait a few days to see what happens with it.:blush: I made an appointment for Wednesday afternoon.

·
Premium Member
17,447 Posts
Kathy, my guess is that it is too soon to evaluate anything. If it is new then it should continue to develop so the vet can get a better idea of how to proceed. You may be wasting your time.

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
Where is it? Is it on the back of his neck?If so it could be his chip. Does it feel like a large grain of rice or is it round?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Walter it's on his back close to his hip area . I was checking it again and realized it's like another one he has had on his flank for years. When I pointed it out to the vet years ago she said it wasn't concerning her at all
That one has never changed. I had forgotten about that one until a few moments ago. Now I don't know what to do since he actually has 2 of these things, one of them having never changed since I found it years ago. I think I will take him to be checked anyways for my own peace of mind?

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Kathy, I'm glad you are taking Piper to your vet today. I'm sure everything will be fine but this will give you peace of mind. Thoughts and prayers with you today. :heart:

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Kathy I hope everything is ok with Pipper
I will be watching for a update, I pray for you, Pipper and your precious family every morning

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wish us luck for this afternoon. Our appointment is at 4:30. I wasn't overly concerned about it before but now I am getting myself worked up. I have a habit of doing that.

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
Good luck. I am sure it is nothing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our Maltese developed some lumps just like what you describe. The vet biopsied them and they were lipomas - fatty deposits. Nothing to worry about. They are very common. They may grow, change in size, shape, or go away. But you'll feel better once you have the vet check him out. Just be prepared that they may want to biopsy the lump.

·
Premium Member
17,447 Posts
. . . . . and? any news? Prayer continue for peace.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I feel so much better now. Vet said nothing about the bump raised any suspicions in her. It's too small to aspirate but she is sure it's either a cyst or the beginnings of a lipoma ( which he is prone to getting). There is nothing ominous about it at all. The one he has on his flank area she is positive it's a cyst. I had myself all worked up and gave myself a headache this afternoon and it's totally gone now!

·
Premium Member
17,447 Posts
Kathy, that is good news! It is easy to get our "knickers in a twist" when we feel our pups may be seriously in danger. So glad you are both ok!

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
Great news

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Kathy, Very happy for you and Piper!
:tender::thmbup::sHa_banana:

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am so happy too!!!!!! I woke up this morning feeling a huge relief off my shoulders. Guess I was more worried than I even realized.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts