Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Angel has 2 Kong toys. I'm wondering if it's really ok to stuff it with peanut butter (as suggested by many), I thought we shouldn't feed dogs peanut, but then why is it ok to give them peanut butter?!

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">I use an unsweetened organic peanutbutter that I get from Trader Joe's for Peaches's kongs. She loves it
. I never heard anything about peanutbutter being bad for pups......</span>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Just don't give it to them in great big glops as they tend to get very excited and end up with peanut butter mushed into their faces and it is NOT easy to shampoo peanut butter out of the hair of any little wiggle butt.

Or, this could be a problem only I have ever faced.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Just give her a finger first and see how her tummy tolerates it. If she likes it and can handle it, you can stuff her kong with it. I've found with the small kongs whatever I stuff tends not to get on their face because they smush their face hair back while eating it. Plain, organic, low fat yogurt or low fat cottage cheese are favorites here. I usually fill the kong and freeze it overnight.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Jac@Jul 4 2005, 05:25 AM
My little Angel has 2 Kong toys.  I'm wondering if it's really ok to stuff it with peanut butter (as suggested by many), I thought we shouldn't feed dogs peanut, but then why is it ok to give them peanut butter?!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77784
[/QUOTE]
I would think the difference between a peanut and peanut butter is that the peanut is whole and small and it is likely that Angel may not chew the peanut completely and therefore it may cause a stomach upset. The peanut butter is in a form that would be easier to digest. Just buy fresh peanut butter that has no additional sugar, fat or salt.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have given peanut butter to Miko and he loves it but I never stuffed his kongy with it because I thought it may be too many calories for him??

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Jul 4 2005, 11:24 AM
I have given peanut butter to Miko  and he loves it but I never stuffed his kongy with it because I thought it may be too many calories for him??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77825
[/QUOTE]
Peanut butter is very calorie and fat dense. I would certainly keep it to a very, very small amount. It is about 100 calories for a tablespoon---16% protein, 7% carb and 76% fat!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
dogs dont seem to mind the fat free low salt kind so thats what i would use...great fr hiding pills too

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jul 4 2005, 05:28 AM
Just give her a finger first and see how her tummy tolerates it. If she likes it and can handle it, you can stuff her kong with it. I've found with the small kongs whatever I stuff tends not to get on their face because they smush their face hair back while eating it. Plain, organic, low fat yogurt or low fat cottage cheese are favorites here. I usually fill the kong and freeze it overnight.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77802
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">Yogurt and cottage cheese
what a great idea
</span>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts