Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered that IzzyBella would sell her own mama for a tiny smear of peanut butter. I'm sure that all total today she didn't get more than a fourth of a teaspoon because I would just dip my finger in it and let her lick my finger. It came in handy at the click training times. Is this okay to give her? It certainly made her sit up and take notice.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes it is safe...it is often used to hide pills. u can smear some in a kong to entertain ur pet too. but i like to use low salt types just cause they dont know the difference and its better for them.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If your dog can tolerate it, peanut butter is a fine snack. You can also stuff a kong with it!

Just remember that it is rather fattening, so if you use it a lot reduce her regular food intake a little so you don't get an overweight pooch!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Peanut butter also has a fairly high amount of sugar in it. Make sure that after you give some to your pups that you brush their teeth. My vet said it's like giving gummies to kids...it sticks to their teeth and gums.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If you want to avoid the sugar, added fat and salt in peanut butter use the kind that you grind yourself... most "healthy" grocery stores have this such as Fresh Market and Earth Fare. It is just plain peanuts.. nothing else.. Make sure it says "salt free" on the grinding machine.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Kongs aren't dishwasher safe? I have a couple of the little blue and white ones for puppies and I've run them through a few times. I haven't noticed any problems.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Feb 17 2005, 06:04 AM
Mee!  You cut Jong-ee's hair!  How could you!  I had promised Cookie that she would someday look like her....once all her hair grew back from this surgery.  Don't get me wrong; she's still adorable.  Heck, she looks a lot like Noodle did at that age.  But, she doesn't have that Jong-ee look anymore.  (Perhaps because I now think she looks like Noodle?)  Either way, I'm crushed!

About peanut butter.  Noodle is will to submit to anything at all, even getting br*shed to get some peanut butter.  (used an * because he considers it to be a dirty word)  Cookie will lick some simply because Noodle is going nutso over it, but she doesn't understand that it is supposed to be yummy.  Neither have ever gotten sick over it, though, if I let Noodle have the entire jar, like he wants, he probably would barf peanut smelling puke all over the place.  hahahahahaha~
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36032
[/QUOTE]

hahah yeah, i gave her a cut a few days ago, her hair was getting too long she was hating her grooming time more and more so i just went to the groomers and got it cut off for her, shes enjoying her short cut now and she looks like a huge puppy

and her legs look really long, and her body is really long too

im sure Cookie would look wonderful if her hair was long too, but for now i hope shes having a great recovery from her surgery!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 17 2005, 02:03 PM
Kongs aren't dishwasher safe?  I have a couple of the little blue and white ones for puppies and I've run them through a few times.  I haven't noticed any problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36103
[/QUOTE]

Kongs are also dishwasher safe. I just hate trying to get all the goop out of them before, the stuff they can't reach.

I love the Busy Buddy line of treat toys. The Twist and Treat unscrews so it is really easy to clean.

Lady loves treat toys, but never was crazy about a Kong.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's how I wash my kong toys. Well, I mean Izzy's kong toys. LOL I soak them a few minutes and then spear them on a dishwashing tong so they stand upright and run them through the dishwasher. I do this with all Izzy's toys, the squeaky ones, the baby water filled chew toy, the kongs and her baby pacifier.

I'm glad to hear that peanut butter is alright. I took Izzy to the vet this morning for her weekly weigh in, she is 11 weeks old and weighs 1.7

I was shocked at beautiful Jongee's haircut also. Now he's a beautiful looking puppy.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My breakfast every morning is a sliced Fuji apple with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter ground fresh from dry roasted peanuts. I put it in a saki cup for dipping and let Pico lick the cup when I'm finished.

I leave just a slight smear in the cup, maybe 1/8 tsp, but he waits patiently for me to finish and I put it on the floor and he grabs it in his mouth and takes it to his bed to lick it clean. I have had some concern about peanut allergies in dogs but have never heard of it like we do in humans so I've continued this practice with him. From the rest of the posts, it seems to be ok.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Scott,I tried to post a link for you but couldnt for some reason.Go to Petsmart.com and put Kongs in the search and it should come up>WE would NEVER laugh at you!!!These are great...I give the boys one when I leave them & it entertains them while Im gone!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here's a photo. A Kong is a chew toy that has a large hole on one end and a small one on the other. You put pieces of treats in the large hole. The dog then is entertained trying to get the food out of the Kong. Kong makes specially shaped treats that work really well in it (shown in photo) or you can put whatever you want in there. Kallie doesn't care for the Kong but Catcher does. It comes in all sizes but the smallest size is best for Malts. They're available at PetSmart and most any pet supply company.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts