Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... maybe this is a silly question... but I read in a few places that dogs like peanut butter, and that you can put some in a Kong and keep them busy for hours. I am worred about allergies though. Kids can have really strong reactions to peanuts and die. Can dogs have the same problem? Should I moniter Koa for a few hours the first time I give him peanut butter, or is this not usually a lethal problem for puppies.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Gee I am not sure about that, but you could try just letting him lick a tiny amount off your finger first just to see if he will accept it and also to see if he has a reaction to it. Like anything new you should always start very small and work up so that if it is going to make them either sick or have the poops you will know. Smaller amounts have a less drastic effect

Scooby loves peanut butter but I don't give him a lot of it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it isnt a common allergy and dogs dont have a lethal reaction to it..if n e thing it will just be feet chewing body chewing

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
hey koa, buttercup here....

this peanut butter thing....IS AWESOME! you should eat as much of it as possible, because it comes from this jar that only comes out of this one cabinet NOT OFTEN ENOUGH! if your momster puts some in a kong with some kibble or some baby carrots, it's usually because she wants cozytime with the boy (do you have a boy? i think all of us should have a boy who adore us. they are always so easy to trick and they will play with us forever and ever and ever because they know that our momsters will kick them to the curb if they dont!) or she is reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy busy. you should try to get as much of this peanut butter stuff as possible. you dont know when the next jar will come out of the cabinet!
and like parker's mom said, it's not horrible for you, and if you have an allergy, you just end up chomping on your tootsies. and when that happens, you hope that momster puts more peanut butter on them (iff'n you're gonna eat your toes, they may as well be marinated in peanut butter, no?)

best wishes, peanut butter dreams,
the buttercup :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Oct 26 2005, 10:34 PM
hey koa,  buttercup here....

this peanut butter thing....IS AWESOME!  you should eat as much of it as possible, because it comes from this jar that only comes out of this one cabinet NOT OFTEN ENOUGH!  if your momster puts some in a kong with some kibble or some baby carrots, it's usually because she wants cozytime with the boy (do you have a boy? i think all of us should have a boy who adore us.  they are always so easy to trick and they will play with us forever and ever and ever because they know that our momsters will kick them to the curb if they dont!) or she is reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy busy.  you should try to get as much of this peanut butter stuff as possible.  you dont know when the next jar will come out of the cabinet!
and like parker's mom said, it's not horrible for you, and if you have an allergy, you just end up chomping on your tootsies.  and when that happens, you hope that momster puts more peanut butter on them (iff'n you're gonna eat your toes, they may as well be marinated in peanut butter, no?)

best wishes, peanut butter dreams,
the buttercup :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113870
[/QUOTE]
Oh Buttercup...you are too funny, and so cute!!!
Tucker LOVES peanut butter too, but I wouldn't say stuffing his Kong keeps him busy for very long. He scarfs that up so fast, like he's afraid someone's gonna take it away from him.
My inlaws had a big dog that could get the PB from the pantry and open the jar and lick it clean while they weren't home.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate them. I just wanted to mention that I asked the vet today about Koa eating PB, and he said that it is actually really bad for the dog because it's so fatty and will cause problems for the pancreas. I tried looking for confirmation of this online and have yet to find anything, but I'm going to steer away from it for now. He really did like his first few tastes though! :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Koa@Oct 27 2005, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate them. I just wanted to mention that I asked the vet today about Koa eating PB, and he said that it is actually really bad for the dog because it's so fatty and will cause problems for the pancreas. I tried looking for confirmation of this online and have yet to find anything, but I'm going to steer away from it for now. He really did like his first few tastes though! :)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114010
[/QUOTE]
:eek: Really...my vet actually was one of the ones who suggested pb as a treat to stuff a kong with. Please let us know if you find anymore info on this.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
use the light kind that is low in sodium. it isnt that bad in small amounts...the amount used to smear in a kong isnt horrible.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think that even the light kind has 180 callories for 2 tablespoons and that's probably about how much you put in a kong. I think it may be too many calories still and I think the fat is still at like 20%?? I don't know but clearly I spend too much of my time reading food labels and worrying about calories.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i didnt realize ppl put that much in a kong..i thought u just kinda coated the inside...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 27 2005, 04:38 PM
use the light kind that is low in sodium.  it isnt that bad in small amounts...the amount used to smear in a kong isnt horrible.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114051
[/QUOTE]
exactly. the buttercup's kongs get enough to line the kong and get kibble or carrots "stuck" and then maybe another layer. but oh, how she would spend hours to make sure she gets every little bit of peanut butter off of any surface of it LOLOL. when she goes to my friend's house and it's "kong time" for karen's newfs, buttercup's eyes get about as BIG as the kongs, they get the super-duper extra large giant size kongs. LOL filled with peanut butter, apples, and carrots. karen puts them in the freezer each night, and when she heads off to work, they get their kong. buttercup never ceases to be amazed at the size of those kongs...
i tell her that when she grows up, that's the size she'll get...

ann marie and the "my momster is the meanest momster in the whole wide world! i'll never BE that big!" buttercup

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 27 2005, 07:15 PM
i didnt realize ppl put that much in a kong..i thought u just kinda coated the inside...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114146
[/QUOTE]

I could be totally wrong though!! I just use the stuff they sell to put into the kong, I think its only 10 calories per tablespoon. But I think this is more of my issues with calorie counting (but they don't really need nearly as many calories as we do, right?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts