Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!!

Tomorrow morning I am going to drop Peanut off to have his teeth cleaned and his puppy teeth pulled. I chose to have the pre-op blood work done too. My question is that tonight starting at 6pm I am not allowed to let him have food or water. When he got neutered the cut off time was 9pm the night before. Why is this one at 6pm?

I am wondering if this is too long for Peanut to go without food or water? Would it be okay to give him an ice cube to lick, or some NutriCal? I'm becoming very nervous about the fact that he will not be eating or drinking for about 24 hours. Please anyone with any info, let me know. Thanks in advance!!!! I'm really nervous now.

PS The vet never mentioned that I should have had his puppy teeth pulled while he was getting neutered, and his neuter was long before I found this site...I guess I am paying for being uninformed now. Other than that I really love this vet.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Why are you gettin his teeth cleaned? Isnt Peanut still a pup? I was told to wait... they dont clean teeth when they are still a puppy.. its unnecessary.?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peanut's a year old now. I have been trying brushing his teeth once a week, and he has lots of chew toys that are supposed to help clean his teeth, but honestly they are disgusting!!! The vet recomended a teeth cleaning while he's down for the puppy teeth being pulled because of the high rate of dental problems in small dogs.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
No food after 8 or 9 pm if he isn't being done until 8 or 9 am and he can have a little water during the night (just leave a small amount in the dish).

Each vet has a slightly different preference on the time...many say earlier because people forget to pick the food up. If he was going to be done very early in the morning, then they might want you to pick up his food earlier the evening before.

He should be able to have a small snack in the afternoon if his anesthesia is in the morning, early evening if done later in the day.

A health adult dog should be fine without food for that length of time.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Feb 22 2005, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone!!!

Tomorrow morning I am going to drop Peanut off to have his teeth cleaned and his puppy teeth pulled.  I chose to have the pre-op blood work done too.  My question is that tonight starting at 6pm I am not allowed to let him have food or water.  When he got neutered the cut off time was 9pm the night before.  Why is this one at 6pm?

I am wondering if this is too long for Peanut to go without food or water?  Would it be okay to give him an ice cube to lick, or some NutriCal?  I'm becoming very nervous about the fact that he will not be eating or drinking for about 24 hours.  Please anyone with any info, let me know.  Thanks in advance!!!!  I'm really nervous now.

PS  The vet never mentioned that I should have had his puppy teeth pulled while he was getting neutered, and his neuter was long before I found this site...I guess I am paying for being uninformed now.  Other than that I really love this vet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36907
[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat... I love my vet but didn't know about getting teeth pulled during neutering. Peanut may have "dirty" teeth because of the retained baby teeth. My vet said that retained baby teeth can cause plaque to build up on the adult teeth because they are so close together. My vet wants Catcher's baby teeth out in the next month, but he doesn't need the cleaning and they are not putting him under... just sedating him.

Also, if he doesn't eat after 6:00 p.m. and then has the procedure early, couldn't he be given some Nutri-Cal at noon-ish?

EDIT: Posted this at the same time JMM was posting.... in case it looks odd to have responded when she knows a heck of a lot more than I do!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kallie/Catcher's mom, I was wondering the same about the nutrical. I figured, the cut off time for food and water was 6pm and I'm going to pick up up at 4 or 5 pm the next day--sounds so long to not eat or drink. I guess I will just keep the nutrical on hand.

Any info is welcomed!! I love to hear what everyone has to say!!!
Most of the build up is because of the puppy teeth being so close to the adult teeth.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Well kodie didnt get his baby teeth pulled until 1 1/2yr old... and they still refused to clean his teeth... i felt they they should have cleaned his two back teeth but noooooooo.. they said its unnecessary to do a full cleaning on just that little bit.

Most of kodies retained baby teeth were in the front of his mouth and those teeth are perfectly clean... i just cant figure it out... I brush his teeth every morning... he has greenies, mostly hard foods, tendons to chew on... i dunno...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 22 2005, 11:36 AM
Well kodie didnt get his baby teeth pulled until 1 1/2yr old... and they still refused to clean his teeth... i felt they they should have cleaned his two back teeth but noooooooo.. they said its unnecessary to do a full cleaning on just that little bit. 

Most of kodies retained baby teeth were in the front of his mouth and those teeth are perfectly clean... i just cant figure it out...  I brush his teeth every morning... he has greenies, mostly hard foods, tendons to chew on... i dunno...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36934
[/QUOTE]
Really? I never mentioned his dirty teeth to the vet, she just said she thought it would be a good idea. There are lots of other people on this board that know more than me though. I'm just following what the vet tells me.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well the reason u dont want them to have n e thing in their tummy's is so if they get nauseous from the anesthesia and vomit while they are asleep, they can aspirate and choke. so i wouldnt give ne thing after the recommended time...but if u r worried call ur vet to see what time they will do the procedure and ask them about the nutrical.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Feb 22 2005, 11:19 AM
Kallie/Catcher's mom, I was wondering the same about the nutrical.  I figured, the cut off time for food and water was 6pm and I'm going to pick up up at 4 or 5 pm the next day--sounds so long to not eat or drink.  I guess I will just keep the nutrical on hand.

Any info is welcomed!!  I love to hear what everyone has to say!!! 
Most of the build up is because of the puppy teeth being so close to the adult teeth.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36927
[/QUOTE]

Can you leave some of the Nutri-Cal for the vet to give him once he is fully awake..?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Lady M! I know the empty stomach rule, but I was just starting to worry about the length of time. It's almost 24 hours without any food or water.

K and C's mom, I did call the vet and they will be watching him closely, and they will give a little nutrical to hold him over until I can pick him up.

Thanks for the responses!!! I have to stop worrying so much about him.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 22 2005, 02:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Feb 22 2005, 01:57 PM
I have to stop worrying so much about him.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37009
"Worry" is my middle name
... I'm right there with ya.... we just can't help worrying about these precious babies!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37011
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm so glad this site is around so we can worry together!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awww! Thanks guys!! I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow! Peanut can already tell 'something' is going on. He definatley picked up on my nervous vibes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't know if I missed something, but how did Peanut make out at the Vets having the baby teeth pulled?? Just wondering ??

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 24 2005, 12:57 PM
Don't know if I missed something, but how did Peanut make out at the Vets having the baby teeth pulled??  Just wondering ??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37473
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for asking!! Peanut's dental cleaning and the pup teeth removal went well. 8 teeth were pulled. :new_Eyecrazy: A few hours after we got home, he started shaking and his gums were a sickly gray/white color. I gave him a big spoonful of Nutrical and called the vet. It was hypoglycemic(sp?) shock. The vet said he was just sooo hungry and thirsty, she also gave Peanut an injection, but I don't remember what it was. Peanut is resting well and he's been pigging out on dog food all day. He actually prefers the dry kibble to the kibble I mixed with warm water, so I guess the stiches aren't bothering him so much. I'm just glad he's better!!!
Thanks for asking Sisses Momma!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Whew, glad THAT'S over!! Poor little thing....but it does sound like things are getting back to normal!! I am so thankful for this forum, I know SO much more than I would of ever known about this breed. The hypoglycemia for one, I feel pretty confident that I would know how to deal with it if it happened to Sisse....

Sisse sends tail wags to Peanut!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts