Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this? is it worth it? I know I don't want to pay 12.00 each time to have Delilahs nails cut and filed. I am pretty confident in cutting them,but need to have them smoothed out. I'm thinking about getting the pedipaws or would I just be better off with one of those cheap emory boards?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If you already have a dremmel tool you can use that. I bought a PediPaws and I hardly ever use it. I use a guillotine style clipper and an emory board. And always have styptic powder on hand in case you hit the quick. I have never hit it with the Maltese who I do weekly. I did hit the quick 2 times on my old girl Katie ( a 13 year old sheltie). One thing I will say about the Pedipaws......you have to get them used to the sound and you have to practice to be good with it.

Oh and definitely the best time to do the nails is after bath when they have soaked a bit and are soft.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If you trim with good sharp nail clippers right after her bath while the nails are soft, you should get a clean edge. I don't like electric (or battery) filers as they can pull the hair and even tangle it.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I've heard horror stories about dog's with long hair getting their hair tangled into the spinning assembly. These things are not designed for long haired breeds like the Maltese.

I use cat nail clippers on mine. I do not like the guillotine style either. The scissors give me greater control. I do it after the bath and never have tried anything like an emery board.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Both the Pedipaws & the Peticure tools are completely useless in my opinion. The Peticure is the "better" of the two, and I tried it -- it wasn't powerful enough to do much.

I now own a regular dremel tool that I use to smooth out the edges of the nails, but I first clip them using clippers if they are very long. It's best to clip the nails after a bath, as the nail is softer. I use the scissor-style nail clippers. The dremel tool works very well, but it is incredibly hard with long leg hair...and if your dog moves around at all, then forget it. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts