Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timmy just had his first accident on our bed.
He has been sleeping with us for about a month now and consider myself lucky that he has not had more accidents. He is doing great with his potty training and I really don’t have any complaints about his progress.

I plan on washing our quilt this weekend and would like some advice on washing out the urine scent. What is the best way to get the scent out so that he will not be tempted to do this again? I’m sure this will not be his last accident as he is only 5 mts old, but I do want to remove any added temptation.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I always used vinegar. Worked for me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Vinegar, thats a great idea!

Phoebe peed on our bed every night for weeks.
It was always fun when we woke up at 3 am to change blankets too
but, I'd rinse the spot, then use natures miracle on it, and we rotated two old comforters through the wash until she FINALLY grew out of it.
Then we moved on to sleeping through the night without waking us to go out... and finally we are about able to sleep until 6. But I digress. Nature's miracle worked for me, but I'd try the vinegar if I had the chance again (not that I want it).

good luck!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was using white vinegar but it didn't do the trick for me. I looked in my "How The Queen Cleans Everything" book and below is one of her solutions. It has worked for me. Belle hasn't peed there since and that's been awhile.

Soak in clear Hot water for 1 hour, hotter the better. Add detergent and wash as usual. Use appropriate bleach for the fabric type. In addition to Clorox Bleach for colors I added some oxi-clean.

Hope this helps, I was concerned about shrinkage w/hot water but it was very minimal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Koa has peed in my bed twice in about 2.5 months. We wash the sheets with regular washing detergent, but spray the matress with OXI-CLEAN Spot and Stain Carpet Remover. It specifically says on the bottle that it is meant for animal messes. The two times he did go to the bathroom were in different areas, so I don't think he can smell his past accidents.

Now I have to figure out how to get him to not pee in his crate. I never leave him in there for more than eight hours, and I know he can hold it for that long because he sleeps in my bed every night for at least eight hours. He has water in his crate, which is probably a bad idea, but I live in Hawaii and it can get pretty hot. I don't want him to get dehydrated. :-0 Is this really bad for his health? How can I get him to stop?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts