Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old maltese, Frosty LOVES peanuts. It is probably his favorite teat of all. Im wondering if its OK to continue that... I only give him one a day, but i am afarid it might be harmfull to his health. Does anyone know whats the deal with peanuts and mlteses???????

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico has been snacking on almonds, cashews and peanut butter for the past year with no ill effect. I don't give him much, probably less than a whole nut's worth, and in little bite size pieces.

When I am snacking on nuts, he is the most attentive guy......I could get him to do anything for a bit of nut! I eat a few, give him a bite. I eat a few more, give him a bite.

I put a little peanut butter in his Kong toy when I am leaving to keep him occupied and soothe my feelings of guilt at going shopping without him.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I will keep giving it to him since he loves it so much. I never knew dogs like peanuts!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Peanutbutter is fine fot them, but dunno about whole peanuts. Be sure not to give them macadamia nuts though. I was watching a program on foods that are not good for dogs and that is on the top of th elist. Can cause temporary paralysis. No, grapes, chocolate, coffee, an donions are among the "do not feed" items

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
peanuts might be a little bad because it can dry out their mouths and they can choke. i think thats why peanut butter is better---but i'm not positive. but i'm pretty sure there are some nuts (maybe macadamia) thats dangerous. i havent researched it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you know how at the pet store they have puffed corn thats flavored and stuff---for a bag its $2.99. at the grocery store you can find puffed corn (with no preservatives or any other yucky ingredient) for i think 99 cents a bag. my dogs havent tried pretzels---i'm sure they'd think thats yummy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts