Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dhodina has showed us the power of helping others. And how good it feels.... I bet we'll all be more likely to do something nice for others, because of her example.

So, share with us the one thing have you done recently for someone else that gave you that warm, fuzzy feeling.? OR if you haven't done anything lately, what would you like to do for someone else in the near future?

Your story may inspire others to pass along the kindness.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oh, I like that warm, fuzzy feeling. I almost show it on my face, and then I feel really dorky. Um, well, all I can remember is giving someone a present that they've been wanting. I guess that's all I can think of. If I think of something else I'll post!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well this is the very reason why i went into veterinary medicine. everytime i send an animal home healthy, i get to feel that wonder feeling that I helped someone and their pet. everytime i have a down day, i just have to think about all the animals i have helped. makes all the pain go away

my parents have also done something that i admire them for. my aunt died about 4 years ago. she was married to a mentally handicapped person and they had a child together. well through these 4 years we realized he wasnt quite capable of taking care of my cousin. so my parents took in my 16 year old cousin who would have had a poor future if he would have continued his life the way it was. They were done with parenting, but gave up their free time for him. He does have some minor learning disabilities, but my parents are working with him and his teachers and he is making grades he has never seen before. his life totally turned around. I am so proud of my parents. they took him in where other family members were going to let him go into a fostor home. now my cousin has a good chance to go somewhere in life. makes me feel great to be their daughter

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LadyMontava@May 4 2005, 10:19 PM
well this is the very reason why i went into veterinary medicine.  everytime i send an animal home healthy, i get to feel that wonder feeling that I helped someone and their pet.  everytime i have a down day, i just have to think about all the animals i have helped.  makes all the pain go away

my parents have also done something that i admire them for.  my aunt died about 4 years ago.  she was married to a mentally handicapped person and they had a child together. well through these 4 years we realized he wasnt quite capable of taking care of my cousin.  so my parents took in my 16 year old cousin who would have had a poor future if he would have continued his life the way it was.  They were done with parenting, but gave up their free time for him.  He does have some minor learning disabilities, but my parents are working with him and his teachers and he is making grades he has never seen before.  his life totally turned around.  I am so proud of my parents.  they took him in where other family members were going to let him go into a fostor home.  now my cousin has a good chance to go somewhere in life.  makes me feel great to be their daughter

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59889
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that is so great of your parents... what a sacrifice but I bet they feel so proud to have influenced a young life so much. And you are lucky to have so many opportunities to get that warm, fuzzy feeling!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This thread makes me feel so guilty because I really haven't done any acts of kindness. I volunteered this year at a free clinic but I can't even separate how much of this act was due to increasing my chances for getting a better residency? Isn't that awful?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by okw@May 4 2005, 10:27 PM
This thread makes me feel so guilty because I really haven't done any acts of kindness.  I volunteered this year at a free clinic but I can't even separate how much of this act was due to increasing my chances for getting a better residency?  Isn't that awful?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59894
[/QUOTE]
I bet when you start your residency there will be all sorts of opportunities!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@May 4 2005, 09:19 PM
well this is the very reason why i went into veterinary medicine.  everytime i send an animal home healthy, i get to feel that wonder feeling that I helped someone and their pet.  everytime i have a down day, i just have to think about all the animals i have helped.  makes all the pain go away

my parents have also done something that i admire them for.  my aunt died about 4 years ago.  she was married to a mentally handicapped person and they had a child together. well through these 4 years we realized he wasnt quite capable of taking care of my cousin.  so my parents took in my 16 year old cousin who would have had a poor future if he would have continued his life the way it was.  They were done with parenting, but gave up their free time for him.  He does have some minor learning disabilities, but my parents are working with him and his teachers and he is making grades he has never seen before.  his life totally turned around.  I am so proud of my parents.  they took him in where other family members were going to let him go into a fostor home.  now my cousin has a good chance to go somewhere in life.  makes me feel great to be their daughter

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59889
[/QUOTE]

That's a GREAT story!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
My parents have a dinner every year at one of their restaurants for homeless people. All the employees donate gifts for the kids and clothing and it's like a mini Christmas. My father has always had such a big heart and he is very much aware of the fact that we are very lucky to have all that we do, and he donates money to many causes. But the one thing that struck me the most was that at the end of the night he cooks up dinner bring to a local shelter. He loves to cook and this is one way that he can share it with everyone.

One of my best guy friends and his family had been starting to have a lot of financial trouble. They've been having an especially hard time these past few months with illness, his father was laid off, and their only car was stolen to top it all off. The car was found, but it was totaled. I was trying so hard to think of ways that I could help, and not make it seem like a hand out. My bf owns an apartment building and he gave an apartment to my friend and his family. They still send the rent checks, but my bf has yet to cash them. My parents hired his father to work for us and I decided to give his family one of my suv's.

Dhodina actually gave me an idea from her story about Margie, and I stopped today to buy one of those prepaid gas cards for him too. Since gas prices are through the roof and I know that the car I gave him costs about 50 buck to fill up I figured it would help. I would have liked to trade the car in for a more fuel efficient car for him but I have to put myself through school and I haven't been working as much as before. His whole family was speechless and they all cried, even 'mr. tough guy'. He still says that he will pay me back when things get better for his family, but as cheesy as it may sound, the looks on their faces were good enough for me :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Wow guys, these stories are great!

I kind of have one, but I really didn't give much other than time. Anyway during one of my clinicals about a year and half ago, I was on a medical/surgical floor. I was getting report from the nurse who was leaving at the beginning of my shift. I was going to be caring for a patient who had had lung cancer that had spread to his brain. The nurse was telling me how much of a pain this man was and how grouchy he was and she ended it saying...."Have fun with him!" sacrasticly. This really bothered me because I felt like, you know, if that were me and I had lung cancer that spread to my brain, I wouldn't be very happy either! So, I made it my goal to spend time with him and let him feel like he was cared about by me. I would stop in often throughout my shift and just sit on the chair ask if there was anything I could get for him, or I would just stick my head in and smile and see how he was doing. I would joke with him when I came to give him his meds, for instance, I had to give him an injection and I said, "This is one time you don't want a young girl in your room, when she has a needle!" he laughed so hard. Anyway, by the end of the shift, he had opened up to me was joking with me. It all came down to he had no family, was terminally ill, and felt like he was a burden to us caring for him there at the hospital. I reminded him that we were there for him, and if we didn't like to help and care for people then we wouldnt be there. Then he was annoyed because housekeeping would move his stuff after he put it where he wanted it, I informed him just to ask them to leave it where it is, that they were just trying to clean his room and wouldn't mind at all if he had a request where he wanted things. At the end of the shift I reported off to the nurse and she said "So, how much trouble did he give YOU?" I said, "Absolutely none" She looked at me like I was crazy and I informed her all he needed was a little extra time and to feel cared about that he felt like he was a burden. Her comment was "oh". Ever since this situation, I have made it one of my number one priorities to always spend extra time with my pt even if it is just sitting in their room with them for 2 minutes to visit, and to make each and every one feel as cared about as they can and that they are my number one pt, because no one wants to be there in a hospital.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
awwww caesar's mommy that sounds like something you'd read in one of the chicken soup books!
thats soo sweet of you.

if i was in the hospital i'd want you to be my nurse

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have stories such as these, but they are kinda personal to me......so I will pass on the telling of them. But I did want to say that Marj's story of her and Lady should be added to this list. Lady's life would of ended years ago if it had not been for Marj.......

Caesars Mommie-THAT'S WHAT NURSING IS ALL ABOUT. I hope you can keep those feelings through your entire career...

All your stories were just wonderful and uplifting!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie+May 5 2005, 10:16 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 5 2005, 09:14 AM
awwww caesar's mommy that sounds like something you'd read in one of the chicken soup books!
thats soo sweet of you.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60016
Thanks

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60018
[/B][/QUOTE]

Gosh, that brought tears to my eyes... you were definitely meant for nursing... and you could certainly teach those "old timers" a thing or two about compassion, etc.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 4 2005, 11:51 PM
My parents have a dinner every year at one of their restaurants for homeless people.  All the employees donate gifts for the kids and clothing and it's like a mini Christmas.  My father has always had such a big heart and he is very much aware of the fact that we are very lucky to have all that we do, and he donates money to many causes.  But the one thing that struck me the most was that at the end of the night he cooks up dinner bring to a local shelter.  He loves to cook and this is one way that he can share it with everyone.

One of my best guy friends and his family had been starting to have a lot of financial trouble. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59920
[/QUOTE]

What great stories!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 5 2005, 09:46 AM-->
Originally posted by Caesar's [email protected] 5 2005, 10:16 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 5 2005, 09:14 AM
thats soo sweet of you.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60016

Thanks

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60018

[/QUOTE]

Gosh, that brought tears to my eyes... you were definitely meant for nursing... and you could certainly teach those "old timers" a thing or two about compassion, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60034
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thank you

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have always loved the feeling of helping others and making a difference. I cannot think of any one amazing story such as some of them here though
I do think little things along the way add up for all of us
and one of those things just this very minute made itself known to me (and I was already bawling over reading these other stories before *this* happened).

All the time I have dated my bf, he has never been an animal lover the same as I am. He liked Holli and took care of her, feeding, watering and such, but growing up his family didn't have dogs that were members of the family like we do. Since being with me and going through the loss of Holli, and having a "baby" in Phoebe, I have noticed a huge change in him around "other people's dogs"...

This leads to today. I have relayed Lady's moms story to him before, and drummed into his head how could anyone leave a helpless animal tied to a tree to die, etc. Imagine if that were Phoebe! He just called and the first thing he said was, "You wondered what kind of people are to leave a dog tied to a tree and leave? Well, one of my tenants has done just that and I am feeding this starving beagle right now, what should I do?". He had a load of dog food that I was sending him to donate to the shelter, so he said he was glad he had that and that he gave him two bowls and it was eating alot. I told him not to over feed him too much right now, and to get him water of course. He said he is so skinny you can see his ribs and he has no idea where the tenant is and that he was up there because he hasnt heard from him. He is asking me if we can take a beagle if he cant find another home for it, and that might have to be an option if it can get along with phoebe but we are discussing options now.

Anyway, my 'feel good' point to the story is that I have made a sympathetic animal lover of my bf in a few short years.

Now to find out what to do with the beagle.....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 5 2005, 10:14 AM
I have always loved the feeling of helping others and making a difference.  I cannot think of any one amazing story such as some of them here though
  and one of those things just this very minute made itself known to me (and I was already bawling over reading these other stories before *this* happened).

All the time I have dated my bf, he has never been an animal lover the same as I am.  He liked Holli and took care of her, feeding, watering and such, but growing up his family didn't have dogs that were members of the family like we do.  Since being with me and going through the loss of Holli, and having a "baby" in Phoebe, I have noticed a huge change in him around "other people's dogs"...

This leads to today.  I have relayed Lady's moms story to him before, and drummed into his head how could anyone leave a helpless animal tied to a tree to die, etc.  Imagine if that were Phoebe!    He just called and the first thing he said was, "You wondered what kind of people are to leave a dog tied to a tree and leave?  Well, one of my tenants has done just that and I am feeding this starving beagle right now, what should I do?".  He had a load of dog food that I was sending him to donate to the shelter, so he said he was glad he had that and that he gave him two bowls and it was eating alot.  I told him not to over feed him too much right now, and to get him water of course.  He said he is so skinny you can see his ribs and he has no idea where the tenant is and that he was up there because he hasnt heard from him.  He is asking me if we can take a beagle if he cant find another home for it, and that might have to be an option if it can get along with phoebe but we are discussing options now. 

Anyway, my 'feel good' point to the story is that I have made a sympathetic animal lover of my bf in a few short years. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60052
[/QUOTE]
Awwww

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
your bf sounds so sweet
i hope the beage is OK.

someone rented one of my dad's houses awhile back and they had three dogs. they moved out... the dogs didn't. they were there alone for at least 2 weeks
it was terrible and sooo sad. they ended up ok, but......

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 5 2005, 11:14 AM
I have always loved the feeling of helping others and making a difference.  I cannot think of any one amazing story such as some of them here though

All the time I have dated my bf, he has never been an animal lover the same as I am.  He liked Holli and took care of her, feeding, watering and such, but growing up his family didn't have dogs that were members of the family like we do.  Since being with me and going through the loss of Holli, and having a "baby" in Phoebe, I have noticed a huge change in him around "other people's dogs"...

This leads to today.  I have relayed Lady's moms story to him before, and drummed into his head how could anyone leave a helpless animal tied to a tree to die, etc.  Imagine if that were Phoebe!    He just called and the first thing he said was, "You wondered what kind of people are to leave a dog tied to a tree and leave?  Well, one of my tenants has done just that and I am feeding this starving beagle right now, what should I do?".  He had a load of dog food that I was sending him to donate to the shelter, so he said he was glad he had that and that he gave him two bowls and it was eating alot.  I told him not to over feed him too much right now, and to get him water of course.  He said he is so skinny you can see his ribs and he has no idea where the tenant is and that he was up there because he hasnt heard from him.  He is asking me if we can take a beagle if he cant find another home for it, and that might have to be an option if it can get along with phoebe but we are discussing options now. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60052
[/QUOTE]

Aw.... that is just great.... what a sweetie your boyfriend is.... And what a lucky Beagle! I hope it all works out.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts