Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I reply 'Maltese' - I've gotten (at least 30 times) 'and what?' Me: 'Just Maltese.' And then they reply with 'Oh! He doesn't look like Maltese I've seen!'

Seriously, this has happened SO MANY times. So I need to know. And I need you all to be honest. I can take it. Does he look like he's mixed with something? I wouldn't be surprised if he was - he came from a backyard breeder with multiple breeds. I didn't do my research.

So... without further ado... here he is!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Maybe they're not used to seeing a malt with that particular hair cut (?).
I think Frankie looks adorable in it. Who know, maybe these people only know one other malt that looks different.

I always get asked that question no matter where I go. All three of mine look different from each other (I think). Ava is 3 lbs and Arch is 10 lbs. It doesn't bother me though - as long as they think they're cute :angry: .....:blush:

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Looks like an adorable Maltese baby to me.:wub: Have you ever asked any of those people what about him doesn't look like the Maltese they've seen? Try not to let them offend you, Maltese are not carbon copies of each other.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
He looks like a malt to me and a cute one at that!!! :wub:
Maltese have so many different face types and styles that
many of them look different. Also, when you say maltese,
some people automatically look for the long hair... the puppy
cut might throw them off. He's a doll!!!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
He looks all Maltese to me! He's adorable!

Everyone thinks mine are Tzu's. Even those who have a Tzu. You would think that if you had a Tzu, you would be able to see the difference. :wacko1:

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are just rude. I put Jasper in a cart so I could try a shirt on him in Petsmart.. he wasnt happy about being in a cart and cryed, a lady that was standing in a check out line spoke really loud and said "hes probably crying because hes a boy and he has bows in his hair" which btw they were top knots lol anyways sorry for rambling this post just brought that memory back lol... Your fluff is a beautiful maltese!!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
He looks like a malt to me! I've learned that people can sometimes be clueless, esp in places like Petsmart and Petco. I've been asked that same question when I have dogs in full show coat with me (Lucy, especially).

He does not look like a mix to me, has a nice maltese face, coat and body. :D

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I'll be on the other side of the fence here. You did say you want honest opinions, and I get asked this question quite a bit. Doesn't bother me, as I often ask neighbors what breed they have, and where it came from.

I am honest with people. I use the oportunity to educate them on poor breeding practices. So yep, when I'm asked what LBB is, I say, "He's a poorly bred Maltese, from a BYB".

This opens the window for discussion, and education. I certainly don't want folks to run off and purchase a Maltese, just because LBB is too cool for school. :supacool:

Don't be offended when people ask this question. Use it to our advantage. Educate them. Tell them the truth. You are not sure of his heritage, as he came from a BYB, without knowing the pedigree. Make a long story even longer, you cannot say he's NOT a mix, as you don't know. Nor does anyone on this forum. The breeder doesn't even know.

He's cute as a bug. So are mine. Well, not Raul ~ :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
87 Posts
:goodpost:
I'll be on the other side of the fence here. You did say you want honest opinions, and I get asked this question quite a bit. Doesn't bother me, as I often ask neighbors what breed they have, and where it came from.

I am honest with people. I use the oportunity to educate them on poor breeding practices. So yep, when I'm asked what LBB is, I say, "He's a poorly bred Maltese, from a BYB".

This opens the window for discussion, and education. I certainly don't want folks to run off and purchase a Maltese, just because LBB is too cool for school. :supacool:

Don't be offended when people ask this question. Use it to our advantage. Educate them. Tell them the truth. You are not sure of his heritage, as he came from a BYB, without knowing the pedigree. Make a long story even longer, you cannot say he's NOT a mix, as you don't know. Nor does anyone on this forum. The breeder doesn't even know.

He's cute as a bug. So are mine. Well, not Raul ~ :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I've had people ask what Bitsy and Rylee are too,since their fur is shorter,must be the pictures they've seen are in show coat. They may have not seen them in a puppy cut...I know I rarely saw them cut short,but you can still tell a Malt by it's features though.
I think he looks all Malt to me..some people just don't know their breeds,though,not an easy task,lots of breeds out there to remember..

·
Registered
149 Posts
..some people just don't know their breeds,though,not an easy task,lots of breeds out there to remember..
I have had a steady stream of customers in here today, and every one has asked me what my fluff is. (She is the door greeter)

I think Michelle is exactly right, people don't even know what a malt is. I see in their eyes they're trying to remember. Maybe your short coat throws them off; maybe mine's puppy-ness throws them off. Just answer and, if you want to, educate.

BTW I just remembered, my male Corgi is a purebred, registered Pembroke. But people tell me all the time he doesn't "look" pure. Trust me I know my Pems, and my bloodlines... some people just want to show off their (miniscule) knowledge.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts