Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to post the following information; however, I forgot until I got my new issue of People today and saw a few letters to the editor that expressed the outrage I am feeling....

On page 127 of the Nov. 8, 2004, issue of People magazine an editorial section called "Entrepreneurs" profiled six young people in a story called "Teen Titans". One of the "entrepreneurs" being praised in the magazine, was a guy who at age 15 started a Web site called .... get this .... Cuddly Puppy! :eek: www.cuddlypuppy.com

The story says that the business was started when Timothy Hampson was asked by a friend to help sell a litter of puppies and Hampson "saw a gold mine". He began purchasing puppies from breeders of toys and selling them from a Web site. He is now 16 years old. I went to the Web site and he is selling Maltese puppies, among others.

The photo accompanying the story shows this kid with a rattan basket and a bunch of puppies in the basket with a sign attached saying "Puppies 4 Sale".

The Nov. 29 edition of People, which I received today, published five letters from angry readers critical of Hampson's business on the "Mail Bag" page. That is more letters published than for any other story from the Nov. 8 issue.

If you want to write People their email address is: [email protected]

This just goes to show you..... if the editors at People magazine don't know any better when it comes to the situation with breeders and puppymills, etc. how is the average person on the street supposed to know? Something needs to be done to educate the public!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am saddened by this. I will write to People Magazine immediately. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mee+Nov 21 2004, 06:06 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Nov 21 2004, 12:38 AM
I am saddened by this. I will write to People Magazine immediately.  Thanks for the info!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17510

the boy should have done some research before he started his "buisness"

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17538
[/B][/QUOTE]

You are so right!!! All he cares about is the money. In fact, the article mentioned that after he sold those first puppies for his friend, "he saw a gold mine".

Money, money, money!!! That was sort of the whole point of the article... look how much money these teenagers are making .... isn't this wonderful... aren't we so proud of them!!

I don't think that this kid is necessarily a bad person. I wonder if he has ever seen a puppy mill.....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 21 2004, 10:11 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 06:06 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Nov 21 2004, 12:38 AM
I am saddened by this. I will write to People Magazine immediately.  Thanks for the info!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17510

the boy should have done some research before he started his "buisness"

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17538

[/QUOTE]

You are so right!!! All he cares about is the money. In fact, the article mentioned that after he sold those first puppies for his friend, "he saw a gold mine".

Money, money, money!!! That was sort of the whole point of the article... look how much money these teenagers are making .... isn't this wonderful... aren't we so proud of them!!

I don't think that this kid is necessarily a bad person. I wonder if he has ever seen a puppy mill.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17549
[/B][/QUOTE]

Although it IS sad, the boy was only 16!!! I knew NOTHING about puppy mills when I was 16- heck...I knew nothing about puppy mills until 9 months ago...and I am 31!!!!! I don't blame the kid-if anyone is to blame, the magazine is. Not that someone shouldn't give a high five to the kid....they just should have added some more information about puppy mills somewhere. Teaching 12-14 year old kids everyday...I am pleased that he had enough initiative to get started on something like this. It is just unfortunate that he was not knowledgable enough in the beginning. At least he was TRYING to do something constructive....there are others his age with much less ambitious endeavors on their minds!!!!

I may try to get a copy of that article. I would like to know if it said what he was doing/planning to do with the money. Hopefully it was for college/saving etc.

I know many will disagree with me...and that is fine. But I give the kid a
I give the magazine a thumbs down (where is THAT smiley?) Hopefully someone will educate him after that article, or maybe he will research it himself after reading the responses from readers.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 21 2004, 02:47 PM
You can't blame the kid for wanting to be a success at such a young at.  And you can't blame him for what he has done--how many of us were that determined at his age???  You have to applaud him for that. 

However, I would hope that now that he has made some money from this business, he would take the time to educate himself and use the money to buy a better quality of breeding dogs.  I am sure, now that the article has come out--he has gotten MANY e-mails from people informng him of what he is doing.  Let's hope he takes them to heart.  I wonder if PETA has gotten a hold of that article?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17593
[/QUOTE]

Just have to ask this rhetorical question: What if he opened up a shady business such as a strip club, beer parlour or other such business that is legal but generally considered unacceptable .... would he still be lauded for being an entrepreneur?

He is nothing more than an online pet store... buying from puppymills because we know that reponsible breeders only sell to the "consumer". And he doesn't even have a spay/neuter agreement!!

When brokers such as Hampson perpetuate puppymills by giving them business, it is the dogs who suffer. One of People's readers, Dr. Elliot M. Katz of Mill Valley, Calif., who responded to the article said it well, as follows: While Hampson's entrepreneurial spirit is to be celebrated, his online puppy business should not. As a veterinarian I know that as long as people treat animals as econimic commodities with monetary value, worthless dogs will continue to die needlessly and alone. Amen!

Frankly, I am amazed.... I thought this group on SM would be outraged by this story........ if we, Maltese afficionados, don't "get it" you can bet the "regular" people out there sure don't.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I just looked on that site what on earth is a 'Japanese Pomeranian'? i am thinking its a pom chin mix but they are selling it as an actul breed....ok just had to put that in i have no reason to critise him not like i even have a job lol

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 21 2004, 06:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Nov 21 2004, 02:47 PM
You can't blame the kid for wanting to be a success at such a young at.  And you can't blame him for what he has done--how many of us were that determined at his age???  You have to applaud him for that. 

However, I would hope that now that he has made some money from this business, he would take the time to educate himself and use the money to buy a better quality of breeding dogs.  I am sure, now that the article has come out--he has gotten MANY e-mails from people informng him of what he is doing.  Let's hope he takes them to heart.  I wonder if PETA has gotten a hold of that article?
Just have to ask this rhetorical question: What if he opened up a shady business such as a strip club, beer parlour or other such business that is legal but generally considered unacceptable .... would he still be lauded for being an entrepreneur?

He is nothing more than an online pet store... buying from puppymills because we know that reponsible breeders only sell to the "consumer". And he doesn't even have a spay/neuter agreement!!

When brokers such as Hampson perpetuate puppymills by giving them business, it is the dogs who suffer. One of People's readers, Dr. Elliot M. Katz of Mill Valley, Calif., who responded to the article said it well, as follows: While Hampson's entrepreneurial spirit is to be celebrated, his online puppy business should not. As a veterinarian I know that as long as people treat animals as econimic commodities with monetary value, worthless dogs will continue to die needlessly and alone. Amen!

Frankly, I am amazed.... I thought this group on SM would be outraged by this story........ if we, Maltese afficionados, don't "get it" you can bet the "regular" people out there sure don't.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17652
[/B][/QUOTE]

To the "regular" public...there is a huge difference between a teenage kid opening a strip club or beer joint and a teenage kid starting a business raising puppies....I mean seriously...to the uneducated...it does sound quite innocent....
It is unfortunate that the majority of the puplic is uneducated on the puppy mill issue...but I would venture to bet that only a VERY small percentage even know it as a problem.

I agree with what the vet wrote into the magazine..and again-like I said before-...knowing what the 16 year old kid COULD have been doing...I too applaud his intiative in wanting to do something positive with himself. It is just unfortunate that he nor noone around him was aware of what he was really starting.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Nov 21 2004, 10:18 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 21 2004, 05:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Nov 21 2004, 02:47 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17652

[/QUOTE]
First of all..."I get it" and don't think for one moment that you are going to educate me on puppy mills. I am well aware that what he did was wrong, however, the flaw in your argument is not accurate. In our culture, beer parlors, strips clubs and other lude establishments are frowned upon from the get go for their unchristian morals. Puppy mills are not businesses that are well known or understood by the general public and there for, unfortunately, what the public doesn't know doesn't hurt them until they are dealing with a sick puppy.

I was applauding his determination at such a young age--not his business.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17707
[/B][/QUOTE]

Kinda what I was trying to say too....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 22 2004, 07:49 AM
I'm assuming that if this kid doesn't have parents, he at least has guardians who should know better.  Also, I can't really praise anyone who started such a venture without first doing adequate research, which he obviously didn't do or he wouldn't have started this "business" unless he is, in fact, a monster.

As for the magazine, well, I've never thought it to be a quality magazine and don't expect the people who work for it to turn out quality issues.  It's crap and I don't read it for that reason.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17737
[/QUOTE]

Yep he does have a mom..... "Hampson, now 16, pays mom Barbara, 53, to answer phones and sister Alexandra, 21, to clean out the cages for dogs in transit that occupy cages in the kitchen and laundry room." "One of these days," he says, "I'm going to be a mega Bill Gates." :eek:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 22 2004, 07:49 AM
I'm assuming that if this kid doesn't have parents, he at least has guardians who should know better.  Also, I can't really praise anyone who started such a venture without first doing adequate research, which he obviously didn't do or he wouldn't have started this "business" unless he is, in fact, a monster.

As for the magazine, well, I've never thought it to be a quality magazine and don't expect the people who work for it to turn out quality issues.  It's crap and I don't read it for that reason.
[/QUOTE]

My parents wouldn't have known any better-and probably still don't.
We could argue this all day!

"Monster" is a little harsh-

I still think the main issue is being overlooked-

The majoirty of the general public is NOT aware of the puppymill issue
If it had been ME going to start the same business as a teenager or even an adult for that matter. I would not have researched puppy mills...I would have researched whelping dogs and setting up a good kennel. I am sure there is not a section in the whelping manuals that make people aware of puppy mill issues. If someone were doing this research, it would probably only be by coincidence that they came across a puppy mill dangers article or info.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by tlunn+Nov 22 2004, 11:25 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DMZ dogs
@Nov 22 2004, 07:49 AM

If it had been ME going to start the same business as a teenager or even an adult for that matter. I would not have researched puppy mills...I would have researched whelping dogs and setting up a good kennel. I am sure there is not a section in the whelping manuals that make people aware of puppy mill issues. If someone were doing this research, it would probably only be by coincidence that they came across a puppy mill dangers article or info.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17815
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi ... not debating here.. just want to clarify.... If I am understanding the article correctly, he is not breeding dogs, he is buying from brokers... They are his suppliers, so it would be natural for him to make sure who he is doing business with......

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 22 2004, 11:51 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 11:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DMZ dogs
@Nov 22 2004, 07:49 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17815

[/QUOTE]

Hi ... not debating here.. just want to clarify.... If I am understanding the article correctly, he is not breeding dogs, he is buying from brokers... They are his suppliers, so it would be natural for him to make sure who he is doing business with......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17827
[/B][/QUOTE]

My fault...I understood him to be breeding-I re-read the orginal post and it did say he was selling them from other people-

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm going to have to do a little research, but if he is brokering puppies, he may be required to be licensed with the USDA according to the Animal Welfare Act. If he isn't (and I suspect he's not) he may be in violation of the law.

I say shame on his parents. Since he's a minor, they are respnsible for his actions. I hate to see kids sitting outside grocery stores with a box full of kittens. This is far, far worse.

Update: I checked and he is not licensed as a broker in Texas, but he is required to be since he is selling and shipping such a large volume of dogs. The USDA requires that anyone who makes over $500 a year be licensed - obviously he is making a lot more than that. Just as I suspected, since he is under 18, he isn't old enough to have a license, so he is in violation of the law by selling these puppies. His parents can be held legally responsible for his violation of the law.

Some entrepeneur....he's just a juvenile delinquent in my book.

As soon as I figure out how to file a complaint, I am going to do so.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 22 2004, 12:46 PM
I'm going to have to do a little research, but if he is brokering puppies, he may be required to be licensed with the USDA according to the Animal Welfare Act. If he isn't (and I suspect he's not) he may be in violation of the law.

I say shame on his parents. Since he's a minor, they are respnsible for his actions. I hate to see kids sitting outside grocery stores with a box full of kittens. This is far, far worse.

Update: I checked and he is not licensed as a broker in Texas, but he is required to be since he is selling and shipping such a large volume of dogs. The USDA requires that anyone who makes over $500 a year be licensed - obviously he is making a lot more than that. Just as I suspected, since he is under 18, he isn't old enough to have a license, so he is in violation of the law by selling these puppies. His parents can be held legally responsible for his violation of the law.

Some entrepeneur....he's just a juvenile delinquent in my book.

As soon as I figure out how to file a complaint, I am going to do so.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17858
[/QUOTE]

You go girl!!!

I just checked and he is incorporated: Grenwich Trading Company, LLC.

The home page also says, "~We Are A Breeders Network...Not Breeders~"

When I went to the site to see if he was operating under a corporate veil I saw the huge banner on the home page: "$200 Off All Puppies - Turkey Day Sale - This Week Only". It makes me so sad to see dogs treated as a commodity.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Good for you, Lady's Mom. I must err on the side of giving the boy and his parents the benefit of the doubt in starting this business but, by now, they and he should be aware of the background situation of these puppies and NOT be looking to be the "Bill Gates'" of puppymills!!!!

Fie on them all!

I just searched the USDA list for the puppymill that my daughter's Cocker Spaniel came from and there they are, with 4 or 5 licenses under the Pine Springs Pets name, Atoka, OK. Somehow, even with what I know and preach about Puppymills, I missed the boat with my own family. I was just discussing this with my son-in-law and he thought the AKC web site would be the proper place to find a good breeder and I was thankfully able to tell him that AKC is meaningless in terms of the proper breeding and care of a puppy. Puppymill dogs can be AKC registered.

Educating the public is a huge job and one that each of us (especially me, obviously) must take ownership of. It begins with our friends and families and I have vowed to do a more effective job. I just had a conversation with a friend who related how she purchased her toy poodle many years ago from a pet store and received from her an agreement to come to me if she ever has such a impulse again. She had already vowed never to walk into a pet store again anyway, albeit for the reason of not being "tempted" beyond her ability to withstand.

Unfortunately, my daughter did not take my message seriously enough and her cocker is still ill. The broker has taken him back in order to nurse him this week while I am at her house with my Pico to keep Pico from being exposed. My daughter also disinfected her house and steam-cleaned the carpets for Pico's safety. The broker is going to give the puppy inhalation therapy 3 times a day (he say's) as well as continue the medication from her vet. The vet believes the dog has tonsilitis. They have been unable to properly bond with the puppy because they are dealing with the illness and trying to potty train as well. I sure hope this turns out well......I'm very concerned.

This boy broker needs his eyes opened as do his parents.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I looked up Greenwich Trading Company and it is brand new. It was just incorporated with the Secretary of State May 13, 2004. The registered agent is Barbara Hampson, is mother most likely. She's the one who would have to apply for a broker's license and also the one who would be held legally responsible for any violations of the Animal Welfare Act.

This is not a little boy making some $$ with a lemonade stand type thing. This is a family business and a profitable one at that, I'm sure.

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's Cocker. She's learned a hard lesson, hasn't she? Can she get out of the deal and start again? I know it woul dbe hard to walk away, but she may be setting herself up for a lifetime of heartbreak and expense. I'd be especially worried with a Cocker as some can have really nasty dispositions.

Children should always listen to their mothers! Unless their mother tells them to go into the puppy brokering business.......

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 22 2004, 02:27 PM
This is not a little boy making some $$ with a lemonade stand type thing. This is a family business and a profitable one at that, I'm sure.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17900
[/QUOTE]

Marj, There is a "bullet" on the photo of the boy that says, "$70K+ Gross in 2004". You are right on the money with your statement (no pun intended!).

PS The article mentions that the mother's name is Barbara, age 53.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts