Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nichole, what kind of peroxide do you use on Toby? Is it Hydrogen Peroxide and what strength before diluting?

Pico started staining on our trip to N.C. and it has gotten so bad that it is now crusting on his face. Of course, I left him in the care of my husband for a week while I was in Fla. helping my daughter move into her new home and he doesn't do the face washing like I do. I'm going to call my vet because this staining is not normal for Pico so he may have an infection of some sort. This happened before and eye drops cleared it up.

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey has a little bit of staining too...I think she is teething so I am hoping that is what the tearstaining is from. Not bad, I wash her little face every night with just water but I too was wondering what kind of hydrogen peroxide. Don't want to hurt her. Just was wondering in case it gets worse or if I need to take her to the vets in case it gets worse.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I use Hydorgen Peroxide on Caesar occasionaly, but I dont need to often. But I dont dilute it (maybe I should?) I just dip a cue tip in some I have poured in the lid and dab it lightly on Caesars fur that is stained. I don't do much at all, so I didnt think about diluting it. It does however make a difference within a few hours as far as whitening.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't know if anyone remembers seeing where 'fennel seed' mixed with water was a good cleaner for eye discoloration.

Mix 1/2 - 1 tsp. fennel seed in 1/2 cup of water, let it set for about 5-10 min. then dip a clean cloth in it and rub around the eyes. :ph34r:
I have personally tried this with Sassi and it really does work.
Do watch their eyes as you would with peroxide or anything else.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.
And, she seems to stay pretty clean for quite a while. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have seen finnel seed somewhere...wondering if it is just in the spice section of the grocery store... <_< ?????
Interesting remedy though. I haven't heard or read that one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Nichole@Jul 15 2004, 06:04 PM
I have this bottle with a tip on the end of it that I have been using. I think it holds 2 ozs (it is for candy making and has a nice cap for the tip); I fill it with peroxide and then pour about 1-2 tablespoons in the bottle and gently swirl it around--do not shake the peroxide.
I'm very confused. You fill the bottle with peroxide and then pour 1-2 tablespoons of (what) in the bottle and swirl it around.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Nichole. I got it now. I have peroxide already so I'm going to try that to see if I can lighten the stains on Pico while he's taking the antibiotic to clear up the cause.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jul 31 2004, 06:47 PM
I have noticed that the more I use the peroxide, the less it works. :eek: So I have laid off the everyday use and gone to every other day.
Now you tell me...LOL
What I would really like to find is something that prevents the tears in the first place...then I could take care of the stains that are there, once we get the tearing to stop. I have tried the distilled water for 2 weeks now. It doesn't seem to make a difference at all. Stainless steel water bowl too.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
yeah, i was jealous at puppy class of all the cute tearstain free faces, even if they weren't maltese...
I wondered why the others didn't do it...like the golden retriever...she had light colored hair...long hair...there was a WHITE chihuaha (sp?) there...I kinda felt like everyone was looking at his eyes...and he had just had a bath and peroxide treatment...and I had clipped some stains off...
I am a little obsessed with it too. I would rather it not be there. I just wish I could find what works. I am not very patient...
Do the things with red dye say "red dye?"
I know we have a people friend that is deathly allergic to red dye and he has to read labels of suspicious things. Is dog food the same?
I have an unopened bag of Science Diet, I may take it Sat. and exchange for BilJac and give it a try. Just to see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi... So happy to have found you people here!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D

Has anyone heard of "Eye Envy?" You have to order it over the internet, but the stuff works great. I'm all out and tear stains are back again.

Boy...did that feel good to say a brand!!!

CHESMINE"S MOM

meaning..
Jasmine and Chester's Mommy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts