Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He broke it over the weekend. My mom had him and he was running around outside playing with Andre (their Bichon) when it happened. She said Perri stopped suddenly and Andre ran into him, so we're not sure whether he stopped because that's when he broke it or Andre caused him to, although she said he didn't cry until Andre ran into him.
He wouldn't put his leg down so she immediately took him to the emergency vet and I met them there. Two metatarsal bones in his back foot are broken, but the vet said it's a clean break so it should heal well.

He's doing ok, but the splint goes up most of his leg so it's awkward for him. There's a pointy part of it sticking out at the bottom I guess so he can't put any pressure on the foot, but when he hobbles around he holds it completely out behind him which is strange. I thought he'd kind of drag it or hold it towards the front... He's not due for a recheck for a week, but I'm taking him in tomorrow for my vet to look at the splint and see if they can do a lighter one or one that doesn't go up so far or something. I'm kind of worried about it being too heavy or his hips being affected by holding it like that.

Update post #39 & 58

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Oh No, Poor Perri! I hope that he isn't in too much pain, give him a gentle hug and kiss from me. :smootch:Let us know how his visit goes tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Oh my gosh! he broke his foot? Wow, I've never heard of a dog breaking his foot before - how sad!!!! Poor baby, I hope he's not in too much pain. Maybe while he was running he just came down on it wrong and then being pushed could have made it worse....?????

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
oh poor perri. I hope he's better soon. Jodi was out chasing the puppy I've been taking care of and that's just what I was afraid of but I wasn't expecting them to play..they haven't so far. Jodi comes to get up with me.

he does look sad doesn't he.

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
So sorry to hear that about the Precious Prince. I hope he heals quickly and painlessly.:smootch:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Poor little Perri! I hope he's not in too much pain anymore, that must be very uncomfortable for him. :( He does make a really cute patient, though...

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that he broke his foot. Bless his little heart!!! I am so glad that you are taking him to the vet. I maybe wrong but it doesn't seem right that he has to drag it. I hope it heals soon!!!:wub:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Poor little guy. I hope he's better soon.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Ashley - I'm so sorry about Perri. As they say, accidents happen.No one was to blame, it just happened. Poor little sweetie looks so sad (and sadly cute:wub:) in that picture. How long is the splint supposed to be on? I remember when my son broke his arm when he was 2 and was in a cast. It was so sad and pathetic but then he adjusted. I have a feeling it will be the same with Perri. Happy it was a clean break and not needing surgery. Sending prayers and let us know what the vet says.:grouphug:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts