Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question about the maltese's personality....do they tend to be more independent or dependent? I know all dogs are different but in general are they more of the independent type?? My knowledge on the Maltese breed is still pretty limited. When I went to my cousins house over Christmas and spent the weekend there she has the most adorable maltese. She was the sweetest little girl and she was quite the cuddler. She loved being held and she was always on my lap while I was there. I think I spent more time with her than my family, lol. It was after that that I decided to do more research. The more I read about them, the more I want one! I have 4 yorkies (all girls) and my girls are calm, loving and very much the dependent type. That's kind of what I wanted while looking for a maltese. However, I talked to one breeder on the phone today and she told me they are very independent and generally only want held and played with on their terms. A few red flags popped up while talking to this breeder though, so I am not sure if she is giving me correct information.

Any advice is appreciated!!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Well both of my girls are totally dependent. Lola even more so than Penny. Lola has to be with you at all times and has to be actually touching you or on your lap or chest to be happy, forget going to the bathroom alone, not happening. Penny is also a cuddler but is happy enough to be be sitting pretty close most of the time.

I think it depends on the particular dog from what I hear of others. A lot say the males are more cuddly, but I know Lola couldn't be more so. If you want a cuddler I suggest you find a good breeder who knows her dogs and ask for one that has that tendency.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
My MiMi is very full of herself, There is noting I can compare her to. She is MiMi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is great advice, thank you! Bella (my cousins Maltese) was very affectionate and more the dependent type too and I just fell totally in love with her little personality. I definitely know this breeder I talked to today wasn't the breeder for me. She acted like it was an inconvenience when I asked what the puppies personalities were like. And she kept pushing to come up with a time to meet her (she said she doesn't allow visitors at her home and claims it stresses the mom out when the babies leave so I wouldn't be able to meet mom either).

By the way, your babies are beautiful!!! Such beautiful, precious faces!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
That is great advice, thank you! Bella (my cousins Maltese) was very affectionate and more the dependent type too and I just fell totally in love with her little personality. I definitely know this breeder I talked to today wasn't the breeder for me. She acted like it was an inconvenience when I asked what the puppies personalities were like. And she kept pushing to come up with a time to meet her (she said she doesn't allow visitors at her home and claims it stresses the mom out when the babies leave so I wouldn't be able to meet mom either).

By the way, your babies are beautiful!!! Such beautiful, precious faces!
Thank you. I am so lucky to have my girls.
There are posts on here and stickies on finding a good breeder, and how to approach etc.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It's a little tricky to answer for me. I would say overall they are dependent but in two different ways.

Gustave isn't big on cuddling or being near us but it bugs him when we leave. He follows me around everywhere but watches from afar.

Mieka is my magnet doggie but she couldn't care less when she's left alone. However, if she can see you she's on your lap.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I have had quite a few Maltese over the years, and independent is not how I would describe them. This is a breed that wants to be with you all the time. If you get a Maltese do not expect to go to the bathroom by yourself. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
I have 2 Maltese and 2 Yorkies. The Maltese are by far more dependent! The Yorkies are happy to be by me, but the Maltese HAVE to be ON me!! I've had several Yorkies and Maltese, and for me, it's always been that way. When they are puppies, however, they really just want to go go go! As they got older, the more they will sit on my lap.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Pipper is very dependant, follows me all over the house. Even when he's sleeping he has to know where I am. He can be in a sound sleep but as soon as he hears me go to leave the room he pops right up. I AM allowed to go to the bathroom by myself but he feels he has to wait outside the door for me.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Such a great thread. Bella is an interesting little girl. She is very dependent in that she wants to be near you, eat everything you are eating and never likes being left at home. On the other hand, she is not a cuddler with me. She loves to snuggle with her Daddy some, but she prefers to lay by my feet. She is very protective. She also loves to be in her own space ... as long as she can see and/or hear what is going on in the house. She does love her toys and will play with them and you endlessly. She's just not big on being held for long periods of times. She likes for guests to hold her and make a fuss over her...just not her Mom and Dad doing that all the time :) .

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have a poodle mix and a maltese and they are both pretty dependent. Both of them have very sweet, cuddly personalities and follow me around from room to room. When Emma was younger, she was more interested in playing and exploring than being held but now she has settled down some and loves to sit in my lap and cuddle.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My Lily is also like what most others have posted about their Maltese: very cuddly, follows me around everywhere ALL the time, and tries to always be as close to me as possible. Sweet and gentle, but also LOVES to play.

I have had other breeds before her, she is my first Maltese, and by far she is the most dependent.

The only time she will voluntarily walk away from my side is when she has a very special treat, and she'll then go a few feet away and then quickly return when done.

Linda

·
Registered
206 Posts
Daphne is very dependent. She is my little shadow. She follows me everywhere I go. If she is up on the couch or bed and I run to grab something from another room really quick, she freaks out and barks until I come get her. When I leave, she lays in her dog bed next to the door until I come home. It doesn't appear that she plays, eats or anything until I return.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You are very smart to pick up on red flags! Always go with your gut feeling.
In your case, it is so important to find the right personality to fit in with your other dogs. A good breeder should definitely be able to describe the puppies' personalities, especially in terms of energy level.
Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lily is my 2nd maltese....both have been totally glued to me and dependent. I got Lily at 18 months old. She doesn't let me out of her sight. She loves to be held and cuddled.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I definitely have a very dependent dog! Gus loves nothing more than to be on our laps, or anywhere he can touch us bodily. He lets me go to the bathroom alone (so generous of His Highness!) but will stand guard by the door. When he sees us on the couch, forgetaboutit! He's begging to go up! Definitely a little velcro and I love it! He's a great lap warmer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts