Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I am soooo jealous of those of you who have puppies that LOVE to be held. Neither of my maltese have ever been this way
is it me?

I just noticed they were\are very similar in this respect. If I am sitting on the couch, they both would be near me, but not held. I just picked Phoebe up and she pushed away
Holli did the exact same thing!!! Pushing away from my face with her little paws and turning her head
little snot!

If I am walking around or something interesting, both would have been\are content to sit in my arms. In a strange place, both being held was fine. Heck, I laughed at the bathroom post because if Phoebe follows me in there I have to pick her up so she doesnt pee on the rug. That is FINE with her!
For some reason I cannot sit in the livingroom with her on my lap or in bed, or in places that she knows she can normally roam free... and Holli would have none of it either!

Is it me? Is it them? Is it common?
Can I make her loooove to be held???

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
For the first fw months Sunny would rather run around or sit on the floor than be held but one day out of no where he being a little lap dog it was so weird. Now he just has to be held and sit on my lap, but until then he wanted nothing to do with sitting still being held.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Princess doesn't like to cuddle much either.
She comes over when she needs some attention but most of times I have to call her over to get some love from her. I hear boys are more loving than girls. -_-

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Phoebe is still a puppy though!! She may just have too much energy
. Miko is like that too but lately (in the last month or so) since he hasn't been going out for walks, he likes to be held and snuggle up to me on the coach a LOT more. The negative side though is he seemed to have lost being socialized and barks at everyone when we go out
. Give her time, she may change!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the only way we got ellie to sit on our laps is by holding on a bullystick and having her chew it. lol. then they will always want you to hold the sticks!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut is a total lap dog. Tic on the other hand would rather be racing around the house. I agree with okw because when Tic is tired he will let someone hold him, but other than that he pushes away too. When someone is giving Peanut lots of attention, Tic will get jealous and he will allow us to hold him.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 20 2005, 09:17 PM
the only way we got ellie to sit on our laps is by holding on a bullystick and having her chew it.  lol.  then they will always want you to hold the sticks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63975
[/QUOTE]

That's funny!! I am afraid to even touch the bullystick (or greenies) when Miko is eating them. He could bite off my hand

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first Maltese Rosebud was that way. She would not get "chest to chest" with me and like you say, she would put her paws out to push away. Kallie doesn't do that but she doesn't particularly like to be held, either. She is not much of a cuddler... except I have to say that she does cuddle really well in bed. She'll snuggle in at the crook of my elbow and we get in the "spoon" position. Does Phoebe sleep with you?

Yet Catcher is the total opposite.... I have to say that it was really nice when I got him and he got really close and snuggled and he still does at a year old... If we're outside, Kallie is sniffing and having fun and Catcher will do that a little while then he'll want me to hold him. Even my pet sitter was remarking how he just loved to look at her and be close.

OK... is this a boy thing? Do boys like to snuggle,cuddle and be held more than girls?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink was not much of a lap dog as a puppy, and I was SO disappointed.
I got him because my fav cat had passed, and she was a total lap lover!
I wanted him to take that spot. None of my other cats were lap cats at that time. A few months after Brink was neutered, he changed. He slept next to me more, and he could not wait until I sat down so he could claim my lap.
I loved it. The bad thing is that now, my Little-Bit kitty has decided she loves me most, and wants to sit on my lap too...even if Brink is busy playing and not wanting to cuddle, if he sees Littles up there, he decides it is time to rest and runs her off my lap to claim his spot. So silly!
Now if we are at the ball park or something like that, he will usually have NO PART of loving/snuggling...too much to look/bark at!

So, give her time. Maybe when she gets a little older and settles down it will change.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have what you could call the exact oppisite problem. Tunny has to be in your lap or next to you. The min I sit anywhere there he is bouncing to be picked up. It gets a lil hard at times to do things with him in my lap.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Chloe is a cuddler to a point. She was in my arms for a 3 hour ride home when we got her and claimed the bosom (as my husband calls it :lol: ) as her safe zone. So if she is scared, or tired, or in a strange place ~ this is where she wants to be. She might see me once a day to be picked up, and she wants to sleep/cuddle in my arms. That only lasts until a stange noise catches her attention and off she goes.

When we watch TV in bed or on the couch in the family room she will cuddle near me but not on me. She'll get closer if she needs me to hold a chewie for her... :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@May 21 2005, 08:27 AM
we got her and claimed the bosom (as my husband calls it  :lol: ) as her safe zone.  So if she is scared, or tired, or in a strange place ~ this is where she wants to be. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64040
[/QUOTE]

When gruffi is scared...he goes under our legs (and we're standing). he started doing it because he liked getting his butt scratched. WELL....i'm only 5'6.5" ( i have to add the .5
) and he keeps trying to go under my legs...and im short. so i keep almost falling.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide didn't like to cuddle much until after abut 6 months or so and now she loves to cuddle (when she feels like it. If she doesn't, she stiffens up like a board). She loves to lapsit.

Shrek hasn't been much of a cuddler, and doesn't lapsit yet. It's just been a quick kiss and a hug from him and off he goes. He just turned six months, and I'm noticing a difference. He's suddenly asking to be picked up more and wants to spend longer and longer times cuddling. So I suspect that as he gets older, he'll become a cuddler, too.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Where ever I go, Massimo goes.... He's always sitting on me, or next to me, or I'm holding him. If I go more than 10 minutes w/o touching him, he bounces around on his hind legs and makes all sorts of funny noises. If I'm in bed watching TV, every now and then he'll jump on my chest and make sure I watch HIM for a little bit.
My husband says he has a "smothering" personality...but only to me. LOL

-c

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Beastie is a snuggler, but often on his terms. He loves being held in my arms, but will squirm to get down if he sees something of interest. He jumps on us to play, and will leap up to climb in our laps, when he so chooses. Other times, he'll get down for no reason whatsoever, and trot over to another sofa or on the floor of another room, and plop down. When I'm walking around, he's always there at my feet, and when I'm standing still, he's on hind legs with front paws on my legs looking up at me. He is a cuddler, for the most part. He'll be 7 months in early June, and I've not noticed a difference in this pre and post neutering. The only change I can tell is his bark seems to be a little higher.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I hope like some of you say that she will grow into wanting to be more cuddly! For the first time last night, she actually got tired playing by herself and "asked" to be picked up
I thought it was so sweet I cuddled her a little and she did her step back mom, this is temporary
I had to put her ON the couch, but keep my grimy hands to myself

In the mornings she seems a bit cuddlier, she let me snuggle her for about 2 seconds!

Here's to hoping for some

·
Registered
522 Posts
grimy hands

Izzy is a cuddler. If I am sitting for more than two seconds she starts barking and hopping up towards me to picked up. When I reach for her she always runs just out of reach and hunches down for me to pick her up so I have to get up and go pick her up and sit back down with her. She is not a lap cuddler. She is a head cuddler. She crawls up and drapes on my shoulder with her head wrapped around the back of my neck. (I dunno.. maybe I have bad breath or something) She loves being draped there. I can type on the computer (she's on my neck now) and she doesn't interfer. I can eat my lunch and she doesn't move from my shoulder neck. She's a very comfy neck pillow too.

I can get up and walk around with her there, I cradle her like one would do a telephone while talking and doing chores. Generally the rule is if my DH or I are sitting, she has to be on our shoulder sleeping. I am so happy she's this way, I can understand your disappointment that Phoebe isn't a cuddler. Hopefully that will change with time and age. Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts