Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The vast majority of the products this is referring to contain pyrethrins. This pesticide can be extremely toxic to cats and should never be used on a cat. That is with K9 Advantix is carefully labeled not to be used on cats. Most OTC flea shampoos also contain pyrethrins. Many people overdose their pets by using a flea shampoo and a topical pyrethrin product.
Frontline does have a pretty decent safety history. Your pet would have to eat a very large amount to have toxicity. Most common reactions are topical irritations. No product is perfect...and certainly if we can get away without a chemical product that is ideal...but avoiding OTC pyrethrin products is a good rule of thumb.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I have already spoken to my vet on this and we disagree, which is fine. I do not use spot on pesticide meds unless Nikki is going to be outside all day, which is rare. We use Neem oil spray when I take Nikki out, and it keeps the fleas away just fine. Nikki is a mostly inside dog. I've had her for two years and she's never had fleas or ticks.

You know, there really are some people in the world who generally do not use synthetic medications, regardless of what the medical profession thinks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have already spoken to my vet on this and we disagree, which is fine. I do not use spot on pesticide meds unless Nikki is going to be outside all day, which is rare. We use Neem oil spray when I take Nikki out, and it keeps the fleas away just fine. Nikki is a mostly inside dog. I've had her for two years and she's never had fleas or ticks.

You know, there really are some people in the world who generally do not use synthetic medications, regardless of what the medical profession thinks.
I agree with you Niki's mom, I absolutely dislike putting anything on my malt that involves chemicals. I am researching the use of essential oils. She is due for her 1 year old vaccination and I AM NOT for vaccinations but I will get hers done soon. There are pros and cons to everything and everyone has their own opinion. Last year I used a chewable tablet called Sentinel with less of the chemicals that are in Advantage and Frontline.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Spoiled Maltese has diverse opinions on health care for our malts. Some folks don't believe in too many meds or vaccinations and others are all for them. Everyone has to decide for themselves what to do.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As someone who contracted Lyme Disease (and my sheltie Katie had it too) I say you have to know the risks of your environment and exposure. We have tons of trees on our land , with damp leaves are a great place that ticks love to live and 4 years ago had so many ticks it was horrible. The yearor two later the mosquitos were so big I swore they had on helmets! Florida is bug paradise! I have to use strong tick killers and flea prevention all year long. Heartworm is very prevalent in Florida and mosquitoes carry heartworm.The risks are high here for contracting something. My dogs have all had to have the Lyme Disease vaccine because we know it was here in our area. In fact less than 6 miles away a rabid raccoon found a few years back. For me to ignore protecting all of my pets would be putting them all at risk.

Honestly I hate artificial chemicals and drugs but sometimes they are necessary.You have to take everything into account and then make a decision for your own pets.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
As someone who contracted Lyme Disease (and my sheltie Katie had it too) I say you have to know the risks of your environment and exposure. We have tons of trees on our land , with damp leaves are a great place that ticks love to live and 4 years ago had so many ticks it was horrible. The yearor two later the mosquitos were so big I swore they had on helmets! Florida is bug paradise! I have to use strong tick killers and flea prevention all year long. Heartworm is very prevalent in Florida and mosquitoes carry heartworm.The risks are high here for contracting something. My dogs have all had to have the Lyme Disease vaccine because we know it was here in our area. In fact less than 6 miles away a rabid raccoon found a few years back. For me to ignore protecting all of my pets would be putting them all at risk.

Honestly I hate artificial chemicals and drugs but sometimes they are necessary.You have to take everything into account and then make a decision for your own pets.
Of course we all have to weight the risks and make a decision. Nikki is on heartworm meds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.