Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Pet friendly apartments

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  RAZMO 
#1 ·
I have spent the last 3-4 days calling all these different apartments to find a place for my husband to live next year. I have never had this much trouble finding an apartment to rent. It just seems like some cities are much more pet friendly than others. And I guess my biggest frustration is why some apartments allow cats but not small dogs. We have never really had a cat, but don't they sometimes scratch furniture or have some toilet training issues just as much as dogs? Why is a non-shedding 6 lb dog (who is not much of a barker) so much worse than a cat? Ughhhhhhhh.

#3 ·
I don't think Nashville is really pet friendly.
Dogs bark and can get loud and cats dont...or at least arent as loud or frequent? I never owned a cat either but I think because they don't bark that's why Apts dont mind having them.

#4 ·
Tell me about it! When I was moving up here from Atlanta, I thought I was going to have to move in with a friend of mine (and her two newfoundlands!) while I spent all my free time finding DOG-friendly apartments! I found so many that took cats, it was silly. If the apt didnt specify their policy online (or on rent.net or apartmentguide.com or something like that), I would send them an email asking if they were "small toy breed dog friendly", that way, they could know up front that I dont own a great dane or anything like that LOL. I found it interesting that moreso in northern cities, there is a monthly pet fee (sometimes in addition to the up-front pet deposit you pay at move-in!), whereas we usually only found a one-time pet fee in the south. I'm sure that there are some in the south that have monthly fees, I'm just saying that I never came across any.

The Buttercup and I are in a SUPER dog-friendly building. The owner's mother has a maltese, so we knew we were IN! Buttercup's best friends in the building are the chow (Mouse), and the jack russell (Lucy). The two dachsunds are her least favorites. LOL. Actually, ALL of the doxies in the building annoy the crap out of her. She gets visably upset at their barking LOL. If she could speak, I'm sure she'd say "O.M.G. will you SHUT the H*** up?!?!?" But she wouldnt curse, she doesnt use the bad language that her mommy uses, hehehehe

ann marie and the "we love our apartment and everyone here, especially when they deliver packages and mommy's not home! i get extra treats then! please send more packages!" buttercup

#5 ·
hey, just call them and say that your dog finished a training school and that you have a certificate saying that he's totally trained. see if they'll allow that??

are you checking www.rent.com? and what area are you looking at? in valencia, there are only 2 out of like 5 apartments in valencia AND saugus that allow dogs. and only 1 will allow gruffi
but with a HUGE deposit.

also check out renting a house. it might be cheaper and better.
in san diego there's Western Hills property management and in santa clarita we have www.screm.com

#8 ·
The area is Santa Barbara. I don't know what's wrong with these people.... The cost of renting a house or even 2 bedroom apartment is just too high for us since we will have 2 places to rent (one for me and one for him) all year long!

Bren, that sounds great! If I could just have some way of traveling fast..

Jessica,

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

#9 ·
Originally posted by mee@Jun 5 2005, 07:46 PM
u can check out craigs list and click on the city that u want to search for

and click on housing/ apt rentals and click on the DOG box and search..

theres a lot of houses or apts that allow dogs but then its just the matter of how much u can pay for the montly rent 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69390
[/QUOTE]

Mee,

I just looked at the website, but is this just for San Francisco? It will definitely be useful for the year after next year (that's when we are moving to San Francisco). But for next year, my husband is spending a year at KITP at UCSB. So he needs to live in Santa Barbara!

#10 ·
Originally posted by okw@Jun 5 2005, 10:13 PM
Mee,

I just looked at the website, but is this just for San Francisco?  It will definitely be useful for the year after next year (that's when we are moving to San Francisco).  But for next year, my husband is spending a year at KITP at UCSB.  So he needs to live in Santa Barbara!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69405
[/QUOTE]

nope, if u look on right of the screen, theres city names in tiny letters and click on the city u want to search
and then u'll get the city's front page and search for HOUSING/APT

hope that made sense

#11 ·
Originally posted by mee+Jun 5 2005, 08:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Jun 5 2005, 10:13 PM

Mee,

I just looked at the website, but is this just for San Francisco?  It will definitely be useful for the year after next year (that's when we are moving to San Francisco).  But for next year, my husband is spending a year at KITP at UCSB.  So he needs to live in Santa Barbara!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69405
nope, if u look on right of the screen, theres city names in tiny letters and click on the city u want to search
and then u'll get the city's front page and search for HOUSING/APT

hope that made sense

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69408
[/B][/QUOTE]

YES! Thank you so much!!!!

#12 ·
Olga, hope you find something soon. If I was the landlord I would much rather have dogs than cats. (At least small dogs.) Hope it'll all work out. Having to keep up two households is really hard. Good luck.

#13 ·
Check the local animal shelters website. The ARL in Des Moines has a page about the pet friendly apartments in the Des Moines area. Also see if there is an Apartment guide booking (can't remember the actually name). Around here there are free ones at the grocery stores. They usually list if the apartment is pet friendly.

#14 ·
I finally found an apartment. Wow, what an effort. Days and days of calling and two full days of visiting 5-6 apartments each day. I have also decided that when I retire, I am going to buy an apartment complex and allow only tenants with dogs. No cats, not people without pets!!! Sorry cat lovers, but I have had it with people discriminating against dogs.

#16 ·
There is a web site apartments.com go there and fill out your information. Like city amenties there is also a pet friendly box to check. They will provide you with a list of all apartment complexes in the area you want. I used it for a list in Florida and they were very helpful. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.