Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone used this type of pen for their pups and if so how did you like it? I have a regular expen and have ordered a top for it because Noelle can climb out of it, but it's a pain to fold up and store when not in use especially since i've added the top. I'm looking for something that Noelle can't climb out of and is easy to fold and store. I'm not sure which size would be the best for 3 little fluffs the 36" or the 46". TIA Here's the link to it so you can see what i'm talking about: Pet Gear Octagon Pet Pen with Removable Top in Sage - TL41SG Also they are offering an additional 5% off until the 6th the code is LABORDAY5

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Have two and love them! I use one indoors and one outdoors - that way I don't bring any "critters" into the house. I got them to take on vacation and they did just great in it! It's kind of tough to fold up until you figure out how, but that's the only drawback.

What I really like about it is how light and portable it is - very easy to take places.

Here's a picture of the girls in their own "room" at the cabin.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have two and love them! I use one indoors and one outdoors - that way I don't bring any "critters" into the house. I got them to take on vacation and they did just great in it! It's kind of tough to fold up until you figure out how, but that's the only drawback.

What I really like about it is how light and portable it is - very easy to take places.

Here's a picture of the girls in their own "room" at the cabin.

Thanks Maggie, i remember seeing one similar just couldn't remember who had it. What size do you have for your two? I'm not sure if the 36" will be big enough for all three. Oh, i had a problem folding up those sunshades for the car and sat in my living room one day trying to figure out how to fold it so i didn't look like an idiot sitting in my car trying to figure out how to fold it. Lol.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just be cautious if you have an escapee....these are very easy to escape (opening zippers or a few nibbles through the fabric).
They also tip over really easily. I have one for Lady and it works well, but she doesn't move around much. B)

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be cautious if you have an escapee....these are very easy to escape (opening zippers or a few nibbles through the fabric).
They also tip over really easily. I have one for Lady and it works well, but she doesn't move around much. B)

I'm willing to take my chances if someone could help me with the size. When i get the pen i will see how the fluffs do in it before i leave them in it with noone home.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I would get the largest size available if you're planning on using it for more than 1 fluff at a time. Once you put a bed in there, maybe a bowl of water or food, etc, plus your 3 babies, there won't be much space left if you get the one that is only 3x3.

I also just noticed that the HEIGHT is different on each size. The 36" pen is only 23" high and the 48" pen is 28" high. Definitely get the largest size.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would get the largest size available if you're planning on using it for more than 1 fluff at a time. Once you put a bed in there, maybe a bowl of water or food, etc, plus your 3 babies, there won't be much space left if you get the one that is only 3x3.

I also just noticed that the HEIGHT is different on each size. The 36" pen is only 23" high and the 48" pen is 28" high. Definitely get the largest size.

Thanks Lisa i didn't even notice that. I'll definitely order the larger size.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Debbie - I just responded to your PM - get the larger size. If you put the floor in and then bed, etc. (I even put in potty pad holder) the likelihood of it tipping is small. You do need to make sure all of the zippers are completely closed but even my two escape artists were secure in this.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Debbie I have the Percision Pet xpen and the bottom just velcros in. Ava is fine in it, but a more active dog who wants "out" can easily pull up the flooring. And be careful how you zip the doors closed make sure the zipper doesn't stop on the side of the door - Ava has pulled it down and got out once!

My friend has a pen where the floor is sewed in - that's a good feature, but it's smaller than mine - so if you get that one I'd go for the bigger size.

Overall I LOVE it!!!!! I take it with me to outdoor concerts and it's perfect to put on the ground - she stays clean and bug free!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Debbie I have the Percision Pet xpen and the bottom just velcros in. Ava is fine in it, but a more active dog who wants "out" can easily pull up the flooring. And be careful how you zip the doors closed make sure the zipper doesn't stop on the side of the door - Ava has pulled it down and got out once!

My friend has a pen where the floor is sewed in - that's a good feature, but it's smaller than mine - so if you get that one I'd go for the bigger size.

Overall I LOVE it!!!!! I take it with me to outdoor concerts and it's perfect to put on the ground - she stays clean and bug free!!!
The one I got on Ebay has a sewn in floor. The zippers are also heavy duty and very taut when zipped so I don't see how they could become unzipped.

Mine is very sturdy. My grandchildren have even played in it!

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thank you everyone, i ordered the bigger size. On the Pet Gear pen the floor is sewn in so that's a big plus. I got the pen for under $75 at CSN, i had $15 in reward money, from previous purchases and also got free shipping. :chili: Can't beat that! :)

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Large Burgundy Pet Tent Exercise Pen Playpen Dog Cat - eBay (item 250438185117 end time Sep-27-10 19:38:43 PDT)

I have the large in maroon,it's just a little bigger,about 7 inches wider than the auction stated it ended up being 59 inches wide,not sure if they sent the wrong size....but I have 4 malts and a cocker. I put a couple of binkies or a big round pillow bed in it,toys and bowls,plenty of room...I use it for doing shows and in hotel rooms. I use a large safety pin to pin the zipper to the end of the pen fabric,so they can't get the zipper started and they're fine. My pen came w/ 4 stakes so it won't tip over. I use it outside when I'm out gardening,so they're supervised. They love it... I got mine on Ebay too. Nice thing is they fold up into a flat carrying case that zipped w/ a handle for easy carrying and storage.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

Sigh...guess that leaves Paris out! :w00t:
I have nylon play tents for my two and she loves to make a game of
"beating up the tent"!
Perhaps she will mellow with age :rolleyes: But if not that is okay.
These pens look nice for those that it works for.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The best way to fold them up is quite simple if you have someone explain how. A woman at a dog show showed me and I will try to explain.

Take the empty pen and put it up on end, then karate chop the top blade, this will make 2 cubes, then karate chop each end blade in, and it will look like a book with pages splayed, just lay flat, pull out the floor and you are ready to slide it into its tote bag.

I have 2 a tall large one that has the rmovable floor--------- this is NOT dog proof, my escapees, Emma as the leader, escaped in the hotel room at Nationals and toilet papered the room!

I would recommend the ones with the integral floor- We use one for a peepee palace ( for the wee wee pads)

My little girls ( Twinkle , Mimi and Jilli ) are fine in it, they don't even try to escape........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts