Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...ok in my search to learn everything before our pup arrives home, I am trying to decide if pet insurance is worth the price. And if you think it is, then which policy do you recommend? I guess the theory is that for a few hundred dollars up front, you stave off very large bills in the future due to illness or injury. Most companies offer both routine care and emergency/illness coverage. Is the routine care worth it? I really appreciate your opinions on this one!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I don't think it is worth it. I've heard that there is a lot of stuff they don't cover. Someone suggested opening a savings account for your pet and depositing $20 every month or week or whatever you want (same as you would make payments for insurance). Someone else suggested not using it for routine care. Only use it for emergancies. That way when you have the $500 vet bill you have money in the savings account to cover it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have insurance on Bella for illness and accidental. The company I have it with is called PetCare. When I was doing research, I found out that this company was the best one for me. VPI only covers a % of the average cost of the procedures that are done. For example, you take your dog to the emergency clinic and they charge you $500 but VPI thinks they should only charge you $300; well you'll get a % of the $300. PetCare cover 100% (with a $50 deductible) for every injury, illness or accident up to $3000 per incident. I had a puppy die of Parvo and the vet bill was over $600 then Bella got sick to her stomach and I thought it was Parvo (thank God it wasn't) and that cost me another $525. If I would have had insurance I would only have paid the deductibles and I would have gotten up to $500 for the death of Piccolina. It wouldn't have made me feel better but at least they take care of you and if you want, you can get another puppy. For me, it is worth it. The routine stuff is not worth it, you can pay that on your won but when it comes to the big emergencies, it can run extremely expensive and I wouldn't want money to be the issue when I'm deciding on Bella's wellbeing.

Here's the link to my insurance.

http://www.petcareinsurance.com

VPI is (so you can do your own research)

http://www.petinsurance.com/

There are other companies but in Canada and in the UK. Feel free to contact me if you want more information. I have done TONS of research on this.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh that's good to know. We will be getting her Thanksgiving weekend (if all goes well) so I will plan accordingly.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh that's good to know. We will be getting her Thanksgiving weekend (if all goes well) so I will plan accordingly.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had VPI and i dont recomende. Just like Bellas mom said it only covers a % of the expense.

I cancelled the insurance after the first year. Every month I put $40 aside for the girls personal insurance savings.

I think for puppies is worth getting insurance for the first year, specially in CA vet's visits are toooo expensive and it can add up the costs.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i totally forget who said it.....but they started a seperate savings account just for their dog. which i think is better than pet insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts