Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was considering getting pet insurance for both my dogs. does anyone know where i should start? what company is best? how much is an average monthly fee? thanks!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've heard from some people that it is kind of a waste of money. A lot of times it doesn't cover things and the things it does cover it only covers part of it. I would recommend just starting a savings account for medical expenses. Put how ever much you want a month. Use it only for emergancies. That way it is there if you need it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 11 2005, 01:26 PM
I've heard from some people that it is kind of a waste of money.  A lot of times it doesn't cover things and the things it does cover it only covers part of it.  I would recommend just starting a savings account for medical expenses.  Put how ever much you want a month.  Use it only for emergancies.  That way it is there if you need it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61634
[/QUOTE]

I agree! I've had disheartening experiences with two companies. One was for a luxated patella. They stated that it was pre-existing and genetic even though I gave them all of my dogs medical records prior to coverage.

The other case involved my Malte when she came down with severe gastroenteritis. I forgot the clinical name the Vet said but it is similar to the human form. She was 3 days in ICU, the bill was $1,200.00. The insurance company reimbursed me 300.00 as they claimed she could have been removed from animal emergency and placed with a regular vet for the IV fluids. They also wouldn't cover the abdominal X-ray as the vet wanted to rule out an obstruction or if perhaps she ingested an object. The insurance company claimed it was an unreasonable charge. So basically they paid for only routine blood work and one day in ICU.

I say, go with an emergency stash. You'd also be surprised how many rescues out there will pledge funds towards your dogs medical expenses. It's a good idea to check with your vet to see if they work with any. I know out here in Los Angeles, quite a few vets do.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I actually have had great experience with PetCare insurance. I have not sent them the bill for the luxating patella surgery and I probably won't because they probably will not cover it because it is genetic and pre-existing. We have had insurance for 6 or 7 months and pay about $35 per month but they have covered everything including emergency visit for bee sting, tons of urinalysis, bloodwork, 3 or so visits and meds for ear infections and another emergency visit for an erection that wouldn't go away/not peeing incident (that happened after humping). So far we have been reimbursed around $500. They don't pay for preventative stuff so vaccinations won't get covered. However, they do pay for illnesses and accidents and so far its been great. I suspect they will drop us sooner than we drop them

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
"I suspect they will drop us sooner than we drop them."

I think you are right about that. That's another complaint I have heard, that if you have any significant claims, they drop you at the end of the year.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I agree.. start a special little fund of your own to pay for vet bills in the future. I will start doing that very soon. Even if its $10 a week you add in it... every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
We are also going with the .....put money aside plan ....for our little one. I figure if ins. costs $35-$40 a month I can put that and.. more in an account for our little one instead. That way I know that we will be in control of what we want done for our little guy and not have to worry if it is covered or have the ins. company to deal with. Thats us, but I know the ins. works out for some people and that is great, but for us it is a special account for our little guy.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@May 17 2005, 10:24 PM
We are also going with the .....put money aside plan ....for our little one. I figure if ins. costs $35-$40  a month I can put that and.. more in an account for our little one  instead. That way I know that we will be in control of what we want done for our little guy and not have to worry if it is covered or have the ins. company to deal with. Thats us, but I know the ins. works out for some people and that is great, but for us it is a special account for our little guy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63061
[/QUOTE]
That is what I'm doing. I have a transfer set up to automatically transfer $50 a month into the savings account. I'm only going to use it for the really expensive stuff. So hopefully I have a few years to build it up. If I do $50 a month that is $600 a year. When I can I will put some extra into it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have Petcare insurance on all 3 of our dogs...but I have to say it's not all it's cracked up to be. You still have to pay the vet bill in full out of your own pocket, and you can't submit a claim until all the treatment for the particular incident has been completed. My friend had her puppy fracture his patella and had a $2000 vet bill. If she had the pet insurance policy I have, it would have reimbursed her $1400...but she still would have had to pay the $2000 out of pocket up front. So whether you have the insurance or not...I still think it's a good idea to set aside a savings account. JMO.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We have both the Petcare plan for accidents/illness and the Petsmart wellness plan. We have only been to the vet once in the month I have had Rex, but it turned out he had an ear infection and ear mites when we got him. On top of needing shots and all we saved almost $500 in the first visit alone. That was all from the Petsmart plan. We hadnt had the Petcare plan for 30 days at the time so we couldnt claim the illness, but Petsmart gives a discount on illness related things if you have there plan, just 10%. Our Petcare policy doesnt exclude genetic defects, so we should be covered. I figure it is better to pay up front and get some back that not get any back!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i came to this particular topic because i was just starting to consider purchasing pet insurance since we now have 3 dogs. However, I think I'm now going to go with the savings account idea. Besides, if i were to pay a per month premium and never use it, its not like they're going to give it back to me. With a savings account, it will still be there and continue to be added on to for those unexpected emergencies.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We purchased Petcare insurance and the Petsmart wellness plan as soon as we got Rex last month. We have already saved over $500 through the Petsmart plan. The plan has already paid for itself! We went with the least expensive of both plans. With the Petsmart wellness plan it paid for all his shots, physical, and the actual vet visits plus gave us a discount on the prescriptions Rex has needed. When we first got Rex he had ear mites and a ear yeast infection (we hadnt had the Petcare plan for 30 days yet so this illness was not covered yet). Last week he scratched his cornea, again the vet bill was $97 (including his K9 Advantix) and with the Petsmart plan we payed $51, this was too small to make an accident claim with Petcare (our deductible is $75)
I joined the Petcare insurance though the Petco website, they give you the first month free and you save the annual fee if you pay for the whole year at once. I would rather pay up front and get some money back than get nothing back!
Anyway that is my 2 cents!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts