Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, if anyone here has health insurance on their pet?

Is it a waste or is it worth it?
What is covered/What's not?
What's your monthly premium?
Who insures your pet?

Tx.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I feel it is a waste since there are some things they don't cover and others only part of it. I would recommend opening a special savings account and depositing the monthly payment into that. Only use it as an emergancy fund for your furbaby.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't have insurance, but I have the "Wellness Plan" available through Banfield Pet Hospitals. For puppies under 6 months, it is $99.95 to join and $19.96/mo. It includes the spay/neuter, and you get all vaccinations and vet visits for free. It's great b/c we are always rushing our furkids to the vet to find out they are fine- $40 later! With the wellness plan it's free to even stop by. Plus, you get 10% off all perscriptions that you may need. They also have a plan for adult pets with different coverage levels for different prices. So far it's been well worth it- and they haven't pushed me to buy anything extra. It seems very fair

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 23 2005, 03:35 PM
I feel it is a waste since there are some things they don't cover and others only part of it.  I would recommend opening a special savings account and depositing the monthly payment into that.  Only use it as an emergancy fund for your furbaby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93459
[/QUOTE]
I agree. Just sitting at the vet waiting for our turn I see different people with different types of pet insurance and they seem to be annoyed a lot of the time about their coverage. I just have a savings account for the boys emergencies.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 23 2005, 02:35 PM
I feel it is a waste since there are some things they don't cover and others only part of it.  I would recommend opening a special savings account and depositing the monthly payment into that.  Only use it as an emergancy fund for your furbaby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93459
[/QUOTE]

I agree with Kristi. I have heard many tales of insurance being cancelled once you pet has any kind of health problem, so you've wasted all that money. And they won't cover anything genetic and many people on these forums have complained that the company will blame everything on genetics and not pay.

What I do, since I love my vets and have been with them for many years, is send them money every month so I have an account there. I use it like my flexible spending account at work for out of pocket medical expenses (accept, unfortunately, it's not pre-tax). I can use it in an emergency or save it for big ticket services like dentals.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Violet's mom,

I am the minority here with this opinion -- but we have had great experience with PetCare insurance. It doesn't cover vaccinations and maintenance stuff like teeth cleaning but so far for us it has covered UTIs (which can be expansive with blood cultures and all), bee bite, nail being ripped off, tons of blood work for minor abnormality and just lots of stuff categorized under illnesses and accidents. So far the insurance has definitely paid over and over for itself. We have not been denied a claim yet!! We pay $35 per month and its worth every penny. If you want the routine vaccination stuff covered, look into VIP insurance. I know some people have had good experiences with them. Animal care can be very expansive, accidents and illnesses happen, and in my opinion the insurance is certainly worth a try. Feel free to ask me more questions if you want to.

PS. I think its important to do your own research. Look at the different companies, look at the different policies, and carefully read over the exclusions.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We have the Petsmart plan $15.95 a month that covers all Rex's vaccines and regular visits, it has already paid for itself! I guess that would depend on the dog though, Rex's had ear mites when we got him and an ear infection, he later scratched his cornea and he also has seasonal allergy problems. His vet there is great, she is very loving to Rex and they seem to connect well, so I bring him there with any little questions and all the visits are free with the plan.
We have Petcare accident insurance also, I paid for the year at once, I can't remember the price on that. That came in handy with the scratched cornea as an accident and has paid for iteself already as well.
I did all this just as a precautionary measure and it was well worth it, we have already saved more than we will have paid out for the year! I will renew when the year is up!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's funny b/c i look at pet insurance like i do human insurance...you don't need it but it's always good to have it in the event that you do. I'll definately do a little more research and maybe speak to Dash's soon to be vet. OKW, rex, cori expect a pm.

Any more insight?

·
Registered
496 Posts
This barely has anything to do with this topic, but it is a good story:

My friends and I used to go to a pet store in Baton Rouge and play with the puppies. Well one Saturday we went and my best freind fell in love with a Brussell Griffon. We went back on the Sunday to show our boys how cute she was. Of course we asked how much she was, and thought Good Lord who would spend that much on a dog. When it was time to leave my friend was nearly in tears (mind you, she is not a dog person).
Well, her husband being the big softy that he is ended up financing a $1600.00 dog plus and extra $400.00 on puppy supplies.
I believe that dog should be put under their HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE.

P.S. The puppy's name is Taylor, she is a wonderful dog, and my friend is an excellent mother!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts