Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, are any of your pets licensed by your state?

I just found out recently that all cats and dogs in Washington State are required by law to be licensed. It was the first time I heard of this :unsure: imagine my surprise, but I guess I've never owned a dog until now. And also, they have a "no tolerance" policy and charge a $125 fine (if your dog is altered)/ $250 (if unaltered) if an officer finds that your pet is unlicensed! :w00t:

They posted these benefits on their website:

What are the benefits of a pet license?
  1. Found pets are reunited quickly with their owner. The Pet License office number is on the license. If someone finds your pet, they will call the number, get your contact information, even after hours, and reunite you and your pet.
  2. Your pet gets a free ride home the first time it is found. County staff will attempt to deliver your pet home to you immediately, skipping a trip to the animal shelter.
  3. Your pet gets a longer care period. When found, your licensed pet will be safely cared for at the County Animal Shelter for a longer time.
  4. You and your pet get the Vacation Pet Alert. When you leave home on vacation, call 206-296-2712 to register where your pet will be while you are on vacation, who will be taking care of your pet and where to reach you. We will call the correct number if your pet gets loose during your vacation.
  5. License fees support the return of hundreds of lost pets to their homes and help adopt thousands of homeless pets to new families every year. Pet license fees also fund investigation of animal neglect or cruelty, spay/neuter programs to reduce pet over-population, and community education services.

I'm not sure what I feel for the licenses, because on one hand it seems like just another way the state is trying to get money out of us, but on the other I guess they mean well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Licenses are required for dogs and cats in Virginia. It's just a small fee to license them though so I don't mind.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
In our town in order to license your dog, the rabbies shot has to cover the entire year. Ava got her shot in September '09 so it was only good until Sept. '10. So if I registered her with the town, i'd have to get another rabbies shot three months after the first one!!!!!! In order to protect my little ones from being over dosed, I need to lie to the town. I do not like having to do this.

This is not good. I also had to tell them I gave Tinker away because he wasn't due for his shot yet.....so what do I do next year??? ....tell them i got him back again????

·
Registered
552 Posts
My city requires a license for dogs and cats. It's a small one-time fee if the animal is fixed. If the animal is not fixed they require a yearly fee. I believe it is separate from a rabies shot, although you can be in trouble if you don't have proof of yearly rabies shots. I don't know when/if they ever go around checking those though. They only came looking for money for Boots because he got lost and I went down to Animal Control to see if they had found him. Then 2 months later I got a letter from the city looking to collect the license fee. They also wanted to charge me for the unaltered price, but I got a letter of proof from my vet. I thought it was funny. It says, "Boots appears to have been neutered." I read it as, "I felt around and couldn't find any *****." :D

As there was no way for the city to know I now had a dog, they didn't send me a letter to collect any money for Dora.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see any specific shot requirement on the pages for the pet licensing, but since both your states require it, i'm starting to think mine might. It does however state that you must renew your license every two years, and it is cheaper for altered dogs. And it also requires them to wear a special pet tag that says they are licensed... :unsure:this might be difficult since Butters doesn't wear collars. I seriously didn't know pets needed to be licensed until one of my friends told me she got stopped by an officer :blink:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In our town in order to license your dog, the rabbies shot has to cover the entire year. Ava got her shot in September '09 so it was only good until Sept. '10. So if I registered her with the town, i'd have to get another rabbies shot three months after the first one!!!!!! In order to protect my little ones from being over dosed, I need to lie to the town. I do not like having to do this.

This is not good. I also had to tell them I gave Tinker away because he wasn't due for his shot yet.....so what do I do next year??? ....tell them i got him back again????

Oh dear! I wish they had special exceptions for certain breeds, or certain pets that are under a weight so they don't get over vaccinated! You should tell them the person you gave Tink away to moved and gave them back :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Yes, NY state requires all pets to be licensed. Since my girls are spayed, it costs $8.50 yearly, per girl.
xoxoxoxoxo

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Our County requires licensing which is done in conjunction with the Rabies vaccination. In addition, our city also requires licensing and it is separate from the County, but we do have to supply proof of Rabies vaccination as well as proof of spay/neuter. If not spayed or neutered, the fee is subtantially higher (like a couple of hundred dollars more). I was aware of the County requirements and this is automatically submitted by the Vet at the time of the Rabies vaccination, but I wasn't aware that there was also a City license and we got in trouble for not having one, but they waived the penalty when I explained that I was pretty new to the city and it was the first city I had ever lived in that required a separate license.

To answer the OP's question about money, in the case of our County and City licenses, the fees go to help support the animal shelters, the spay/neuter clinics, etc. etc.

Pat -- we can have our Vet ask for a waiver for the Rabies vaccination based on age/size. For example, we are required to have the dog vaccinated for Rabies by 3 months of age, but my Vet thought that Tilly was too small at the time and asked for a waiver under she reached 3 lbs. Don't know what she will want to do about Secret. Right now we have the recent Florida rabies vaccination certificate.

I think our fee is $15 for the County and $12 for the City but that is a 3 year license which means that I'm paying $5 per year to the County and $4 per year to the City. It would be like $200 per year if they weren't spayed.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Ohio is $14 each,yearly,doesn't matter if they're altered or not. I doubt they will pass that since so many in Ohio don't spay or neuter (idiots). Some people who have more than 5 dogs will get a kennel license but if you have more than 5 dog,not all will be identified by tags if lost... That's one benefit of a dog license,if your pet gets lost and has the license on him(hint,hint, as many throw them in the drawer),then all it takes is one phone call to reunite an owner w/ a pet.
I stamp my pet's name and our phone numbers on the dog license,the rabies tag and a specially made tag to make sure I get a call if my fluffs get lost.
We don't have cat licenses so I take old dog tags and stamp them w/ his name and our numbers too.
They don't require vaccinations for a license to be issued either,probably another reason so few in Ohio vaccinate...

I figure if your lost pet gets a couple extra days at the animal shelter,that's worth it's weight in gold.
If your pet has a phone number someone can call,again worth it's weight in gold...
I've freunited many pets via dog license,so in my eyes,even if it's a ploy by the state to get money,it's still worth it if you ever loose a pet,it gets lost or you find a lost pet...totally worth it...

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Most states have what is called a Pet Animal Act. Here in Kansas our licensing is governed by a lot of different departments. Kansas has a state licensing that applies to people who are breeding and selling pets. Kansas is called the Kansas Pet Animal Act. Even if you live in the country you are subject to different departments wanting money from you. With the state if you have more than 5 or 6 breeding animals you are required to get licensed. Then if you do not have a USDA license you get charged double the fees. Kansas does not require you to have a USDA license.
Kansas State does not require rabies vaccine to be given to dogs/cats born in Kansas and live their entire life in Kansas. If the dog leaves or a dog is imported into the state, they must be vaccinated for rabies if they are over 3 months old.
Each county requires different laws. Then, each city might require different laws. Then there is zoning. I live in the country. I found out after being licensed by the State, that they sent information to Osage County that I had dogs. They required $200.00 for zoning allowing me to have more than 4 dogs. If we had a 1/2 an acre more, I wouldn't have been charged it. Yet, I can have all the cows, horses, and pigs that the property can maintain.
They are all about the money. When I was licensed the requirement was for them (Kansas State Health Department) to send me a letter, but because it was at the end of a fiscal year, they demanded to be paid for both 2009 and 2010 licensing fees. Then they tried to tell me I was a retail breeder where I am a hobby breeder. I had to prove I wasn't. It's all about the money.
It can be very complicated and most of the time your not even aware the law existed until something comes up.
I think the yearly rabies is crazy. JMO

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I don't live in the States, but in the city where we live, a license is required- even to take your dog outside on the street. It costs $300 (USD) a year and is only issued after the yearly rabies is given.

I do this each year (two so far) because they're really strict about this law here and the dog police or whomever they are, have been known to cull dogs looking for the licenses. And you don't get your dog back either if you don't have the license, ever. I've known people who had their dogs taken away even when they just didn't have the license on them- but left it at home...and their dog was taken away.

Honestly when I lived in the US, maybe once or twice did I license my dog, as it's just not really enforced there.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
"Dog licenses exist simply for government revenue, regardless of all the benefits they try to hype. They are lobbied by the vaccine manufacturers to require 1 year (now some 3 year) rabies vaccinations before a state or county license is provided. One of the many reasons why they'll never seek to produce a 7-year rabies shot. The state/county would lose money, along with the vaccine manufacturers. A Lose-Lose for them."

- A direct quote from a veterinarian that I know.

·
Registered
294 Posts
In CT the state law all dogs over the age of six months must be vaccinated for rabies and licensed . They list it enables lost dogs to be traced back to the owner and vaccination to be verified in the case of a dog bite. The license is good from July 1st through June 30th and must be renewed each year during the month of June. A valid rabies certificate must be presented at the time of licensing. If a dog has been spayed or neutered a veterinarians certificate must be presented at the initial licensing or renewal after the surgery has occurred. If a dog is not licensed during the month of June, each month thereafter a one dollar ($1.00) per month penalty is added to the original fee. Dog license fees are as follows:
· $8.00 per year, neutered or spayed
· $19.00 per year, non-neutered or non-spayed

Zoey doesn't wear a collar, use mostly step-in harness. Her license/rabies tag are secured to the top of the leash where I hold it.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Our State requires all dogs to be registered. For being registered you get a little tag in the shape of the state with a number on it. Theoretically, this number is linked to your information in some computer system (I have little faith in this) and if your dog gets lost and is wearing the tag you will be notified. Why the little faith? In my old state, it was the same tag every year with the same identification number and you just updated your contact information yearly and paid the fee. Here in my new state, each year brings a new tag and therefore a new number. I simply don't believe that this information is logged annually in a statewide data system. To register is roughl $20 and you have to show neuter and rabies. You can't register unaltered animals.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I don't live in the States, but in the city where we live, a license is required- even to take your dog outside on the street. It costs $300 (USD) a year and is only issued after the yearly rabies is given.

I do this each year (two so far) because they're really strict about this law here and the dog police or whomever they are, have been known to cull dogs looking for the licenses. And you don't get your dog back either if you don't have the license, ever. I've known people who had their dogs taken away even when they just didn't have the license on them- but left it at home...and their dog was taken away.

Honestly when I lived in the US, maybe once or twice did I license my dog, as it's just not really enforced there.

WOWZERS!!! $300.00 - that's insane!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks everyone for their responses. I have definitely learned quite a bit on this thread. :thumbsup: I will get a license for Butters as soon as he gets neutered, because I figured paying $16 for one month, then another $30 after he gets neutered wouldn't be very practical. If I pay the $30 after he gets neutered then it lasts for 2 years before I have to renew it again. It doesn't actually say what sort of number identification you get or if you get a new one each time you get it, but I figure since he's going out with me so often (work, school, etc) then I wouldn't want to risk getting stopped. Also, I wouldn't want to risk if anything WERE to happen, that I didn't take every measure I could to find him. Although he's mostly in my apartment, and when we do go out he's harnessed/leashed or in his bag, stuff does happen. :blink:

Thanks again everyone for responding :chili:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Pet licensing is something I'm becoming more and more passionate about.

I think most cities are going about it all wrong. City of Calgary has animal control by-laws that have been carefully developed over many years based on logic and does not impose a limit on the number of pets, has high voluntary compliance with pet licensing, and greatly lowered euthanasia rates and shelter stays. Here, the man instrumental in developing their animal control by-laws speaks to Santa Barbara County (he's invited regularly to speak all over North America) (note that this is long!):
http://sbcounty.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=766&publish_id&event_id=%2F%2F

Rescue people suffer immensely because of silly by-laws here that are enforced regarding limits on the number of pets one can keep in a house (usually it's 2 or 3). An example of this failure in pet licensing:
http://canada.myletsadopt.com/2010/09/02/barrie-ontario-making-homeless-pets-out-of-pets-with-homes/

Reputable hobby breeders suffer as well due to silly by-laws that state that you cannot keep more than 3 dogs in your home without a kennel licence. To obtain a kennel licence, you must meet various requirements--many of which are backwards imo as they are not in the best interest of the dogs and others which are simply unreasonable in the case of a small scale non-commercial breeder. In many areas you cannot even breed within your home at all--you must have a separate kennel building. This article from Dogs in Canada magazine talks about this problem briefly:
http://www.dogsincanada.com/what-is-a-kennel

What bothers me most is that these by-laws basically give a green light to puppy mill and large-scale commercial breeders and say no to those that we'd consider to be reputable hobby breeders. The BYB types will do it anyway without regard to the by-laws. What I see this doing in areas like where I currently live (Toronto area) is pushing out reputable breeders further and further from the city and allowing puppy mill and BYB types to supply the city with puppies fast without regard to whom they go... landing a ton of dogs in shelters and euthanized needlessly in many instances.

Just my 2 cents... and then some... :blush:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Our county--perhaps state, but I know county for sure--requires the pups be licensed at 4 months. However, it is cheaper to license a "fixed" pet so my vet said if we plan on fixing them pretty much as soon as they are ready for it, we can wait and license them a bit after that. They also have a three year license for pups with a three year shot. The prices in our county are very, very low. For one year for a fixed pup, I believe it is about $6... hahahahaha.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aarianne: Yes that is quite frustrating when the helps the side everyone is fighting against, without their knowing it. But then that strikes the debate on whether or not they actually know what they are doing since they do gain quite a bit of revenue from selling puppy mill dogs don't they? Since puppy mills sell to pet stores and pet stores pay the government taxes and such? :blink: It does seem as though most places are going about it wrong, with what other members are saying about the rabies vaccine requirement and things like that. I hope one day they finally develop a standard to where licenses will be able to help more than cause more confusion

TB.TL: Yeah that it is how it is in our state/county too. It's cheaper to license altered dogs, so I'm just going to wait one more month or two for Butters to be neutered and get him licensed! It's about $30 for 2 years here :blush:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts