Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a very sad story that hapened at a pet shop:

I always enjoyed going to the pet shop, watching all of the cute puppies run around in their pens. One day I fell in love with this beautiful lively Bichon Frise puppy. I hugged and cuddled it like it was my own dog. He was my favorite of all the dogs in the shop. A week later, I came back to the pet shop. Surprisingly, the Bichon was still there. I sensed that he had lost some of his liveliness and did not seem like himself. He had still not found an owner. I wished we could take him home, but he was not the puppy we were looking for. I came back one more time, almost two weeks later, almost sure that the pup would have found an owner, but to my surprise, he was still there. Only this time, you could tell he was very ill. He was as skinny as a toothpick, and could hardly move. The pup layed on his stomach, motionless. It was so sad watching the pup's health deteriorate. I knew that nobody would adopt him, and he probably had no chance at life. When I got home, I was so saddened. I wanted to put a stop to this somehow, I needed to do something, I just didnt know what...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
It is ironic that you post this today. My daughter and I had to stop by the mall (we hate malls) and there is a new pet shop (probably old but we never seen it) We went in to see if there was anything cool for Rex and there were about 20 puppies. So sad. They all looks sad. They were in tiny little glass boxes about 1/2 the size of a bathtub, one was eating his poo, they were skinny and just plain sad. They all had a rope bone, but that was it, no food, no water, no snuggly bed, nothing. I dont know how they work it there, but Rex can get food and water whenever he wants. I know some people feed their dogs on schedules, but to not have a water dish. It is saddening how many homeless dogs there are yet petstores sell these outrageously priced puppies and people buy them. I hope each and every one of the puppies there gets a home, but I dont think petstores should be allowed to keep dogs like that. It makes me so angry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 27 2005, 10:35 AM
It is ironic that you post this today.  My daughter and I had to stop by the mall (we hate malls) and there is a new pet shop (probably old but we never seen it)  We went in to see if there was anything cool for Rex and there were about 20 puppies.  So sad.  They all looks sad.  They were in tiny little glass boxes about 1/2 the size of a bathtub, one was eating his poo, they were skinny and just plain sad.  They all had a rope bone, but that was it, no food, no water, no snuggly bed, nothing.  I dont know how they work it there, but Rex can get food and water whenever he wants.  I know some people feed their dogs on schedules, but to not have a water dish.  It is saddening how many homeless dogs there are yet petstores sell these outrageously priced puppies and people buy them.  I hope each and every one of the puppies there gets a home, but I dont think petstores should be allowed to keep dogs like that.  It makes me so angry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75612
[/QUOTE]
It makes me angry too, how they dont care about the well being of the animals, just the profit they will make
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 27 2005, 10:35 AM
It is ironic that you post this today.  My daughter and I had to stop by the mall (we hate malls) and there is a new pet shop (probably old but we never seen it)  We went in to see if there was anything cool for Rex and there were about 20 puppies.  So sad.  They all looks sad.  They were in tiny little glass boxes about 1/2 the size of a bathtub, one was eating his poo, they were skinny and just plain sad.  They all had a rope bone, but that was it, no food, no water, no snuggly bed, nothing.  I dont know how they work it there, but Rex can get food and water whenever he wants.  I know some people feed their dogs on schedules, but to not have a water dish.  It is saddening how many homeless dogs there are yet petstores sell these outrageously priced puppies and people buy them.  I hope each and every one of the puppies there gets a home, but I dont think petstores should be allowed to keep dogs like that.  It makes me so angry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75612
[/QUOTE]

Don't buy anything for Rex in a pet shop that sells live animals - not so much as a chew toy. Only by boycotting these places can we ever stop the cruelty and horrors that Angel's article just touched on.

And remember, those puppies you see in the cages of the pet shops are the lucky ones. They made it out from the puppy mills alive. What you don't see is all the adult dogs left behind to breed in filth and squalor and all those who gave their life to put that one puppy in the cage.... and the puppies who were yanked from their mothers too young and died in the truck taking them to the pet store.... and the ones too sick to make it to the window that were just killed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Jun 27 2005, 10:49 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RexsMom
@Jun 27 2005, 10:35 AM
It is ironic that you post this today.  My daughter and I had to stop by the mall (we hate malls) and there is a new pet shop (probably old but we never seen it)  We went in to see if there was anything cool for Rex and there were about 20 puppies.  So sad.  They all looks sad.  They were in tiny little glass boxes about 1/2 the size of a bathtub, one was eating his poo, they were skinny and just plain sad.  They all had a rope bone, but that was it, no food, no water, no snuggly bed, nothing.  I dont know how they work it there, but Rex can get food and water whenever he wants.  I know some people feed their dogs on schedules, but to not have a water dish.  It is saddening how many homeless dogs there are yet petstores sell these outrageously priced puppies and people buy them.  I hope each and every one of the puppies there gets a home, but I dont think petstores should be allowed to keep dogs like that.  It makes me so angry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75612
Don't buy anything for Rex in a pet shop that sells live animals - not so much as a chew toy. Only by boycotting these places can we ever stop the cruelty and horrors that Angel's article just touched on.

And remember, those puppies you see in the cages of the pet shops are the lucky ones. They made it out from the puppy mills alive. What you don't see is all the adult dogs left behind to breed in filth and squalor and all those who gave their life to put that one puppy in the cage.... and the puppies who were yanked from their mothers too young and died in the truck taking them to the pet store.... and the ones too sick to make it to the window that were just killed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75624
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh we didnt get a thing there and we wont ever walk back in! Besides I hate the mall! My 7 year old daughter walked out of the store verbalizing how mean those people are and how sad the pets look. She is only 7 so she did say it loud enough for everyone to hear, even the workers. I walked out with my eyes watering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom+Jun 27 2005, 10:49 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RexsMom
@Jun 27 2005, 10:35 AM
It is ironic that you post this today.  My daughter and I had to stop by the mall (we hate malls) and there is a new pet shop (probably old but we never seen it)  We went in to see if there was anything cool for Rex and there were about 20 puppies.  So sad.  They all looks sad.  They were in tiny little glass boxes about 1/2 the size of a bathtub, one was eating his poo, they were skinny and just plain sad.  They all had a rope bone, but that was it, no food, no water, no snuggly bed, nothing.  I dont know how they work it there, but Rex can get food and water whenever he wants.  I know some people feed their dogs on schedules, but to not have a water dish.  It is saddening how many homeless dogs there are yet petstores sell these outrageously priced puppies and people buy them.  I hope each and every one of the puppies there gets a home, but I dont think petstores should be allowed to keep dogs like that.  It makes me so angry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75612
Don't buy anything for Rex in a pet shop that sells live animals - not so much as a chew toy. Only by boycotting these places can we ever stop the cruelty and horrors that Angel's article just touched on.

And remember, those puppies you see in the cages of the pet shops are the lucky ones. They made it out from the puppy mills alive. What you don't see is all the adult dogs left behind to breed in filth and squalor and all those who gave their life to put that one puppy in the cage.... and the puppies who were yanked from their mothers too young and died in the truck taking them to the pet store.... and the ones too sick to make it to the window that were just killed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75624
[/B][/QUOTE]


Oh....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Pet Shop Puppy

I'm a little puppy, so cuddly, sweet and small
I live inside a cage, you see at a Pet Store in the mall.
I'm not an only puppy, my sisters are all here.
My brothers, too, except for Ralph who died coz he was scared.
It's lonely here at nighttime when all the lights go dark,
We tremble in our cages and we whimper and we bark.
But no one comes to hold us or pet our fears away.
We sit all night in terror til the store opens next day.
We don't remember mama, left so far behind.
she did the best she could for us til Man said "It is time."
He crammed us all in cages too small for us you see.
We rode for hours; we could not help but lay in poop and pee.
And now we sit in a Pet Store where kids come taunt and squeeze.
They do not hear our whimpers or understand our pleas.
We're miserable and it's scary here we all would rather die.
But since we don't we do our best to run away and hide.

I know you think my story too sad to leave me be.
You want to take me home with you, a happy little puppy.
But please, though it is fearful to live here against our will.
If you take me that leaves a spot another pup will fill.
You can stop our suffering but not by taking us home.

You must be strong and leave us here, unsold and all alone.
For if you do not take me, then another pup won't come.
And maybe he will not be shipped so far away from home.
Tho some of us may not survive the cycle 'ere it falls.
If we don't sell they will not need more puppies in these halls.
And if they need no puppies then the Man will not bring more.
Eventually it can all stop! You CAN close the door.

So when you see a puppy face so sad and sweet and small.
In a cage at a Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mall.
The best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting there.
That is the best way you can tell all dogs how much you care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 27 2005, 10:57 AM
Pet Shop Puppy

I'm a little puppy, so cuddly, sweet and small
I live inside a cage, you see at a Pet Store in the mall.
I'm not an only puppy, my sisters are all here.
My brothers, too, except for Ralph who died coz he was scared.
It's lonely here at nighttime when all the lights go dark,
We tremble in our cages and we whimper and we bark.
But no one comes to hold us or pet our fears away.
We sit all night in terror til the store opens next day.
We don't remember mama, left so far behind.
she did the best she could for us til Man said "It is time."
He crammed us all in cages too small for us you see.
We rode for hours; we could not help but lay in poop and pee.
And now we sit in a Pet Store where kids come taunt and squeeze.
They do not hear our whimpers or understand our pleas.
We're miserable and it's scary here we all would rather die.
But since we don't we do our best to run away and hide.

I know you think my story too sad to leave me be.
You want to take me home with you, a happy little puppy.
But please, though it is fearful to live here against our will.
If you take me that leaves a spot another pup will fill.
You can stop our suffering but not by taking us home.

You must be strong and leave us here, unsold and all alone.
For if you do not take me, then another pup won't come.
And maybe he will not be shipped so far away from home.
Tho some of us may not survive the cycle 'ere it falls.
If we don't sell they will not need more puppies in these halls.
And if they need no puppies then the Man will not bring more.
Eventually it can all stop! You CAN close the door.

So when you see a puppy face so sad and sweet and small.
In a cage at a Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mall.
The best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting there.
That is the best way you can tell all dogs how much you care.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75628
[/QUOTE]


That is so beautiful and touching..... -_-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't remember much from the place I was born. It was cramped and dark, and we were never played with by the humans. I remember Mom and her soft fur, but she was often sick, and very thin. She had hardly any milk for me and my brothers and sisters. I remember many of them dying, and I missed them so.

I do remember the day I was taken from Mom. I was so sad and scared, my milk teeth had only just come in, and I really should have been with Mom still, but she was so sick, and the Humans kept saying that they wanted money and were sick of the "mess" that me and my sister made. So we were crated up and taken to a strange place. Just the two of us. We huddled together and were scared, still no human hands came to pet or love us.

So many sights and sounds, and smells! We are in a store where there are many different animals! Some that squawk! some that meow! Some that Peep! My sister and I are jammed into a small cage, I hear other puppies here. I see humans look at me, I like the 'little humans', the kids. they look so sweet, and fun, like they would play with me!

All day we stay in the small cage, sometimes mean people will hit the glass and frighten us, every once in a while we are taken out to be held or shown to humans. Some are gentle, some hurt us, we always hear "Aw they are So cute! I want one!" but we never get to go with any.

My sister died last night, when the store was dark. I lay my head on her soft fur and felt the life leave her small thin body. I had heard them say she was sick, and that I should be sold at a "discount price" so that I would quickly leave the store. I think my soft whine was the only one that mourned for her as her body was taken out of the cage in the morning and dumped.

Today, a family came and bought me! Oh happy day! They are a nice family, they really, really wanted me! They had bought a dish and food and the little girl held me so tenderly in her arms. I love her so much! The mom and dad say what a sweet and good puppy I am! I am named Angel. I love to lick my new humans!

The family takes such good care of me, they are loving and tender and sweet. They gently teach me right and wrong, give me good food, and lots of love! I want only to please these wonderful people! I love the little girl and I enjoy running and playing with her.

Today I went to the veterinarian. it was a strange place and I was frightened. I got some shots, but my best friend the little girl held me softly and said it would be OK. So I relaxed. The Vet must have said sad words to my beloved family, because they looked awfully sad. I heard Severe hip dysplacia, and something about my heart... I heard the vet say something about, back yard breeders and my parents not being tested. I know not what any of that means, just that it hurts me to see my family so sad. But they still love me, and I still love them very much!

I am 6 months old now. Where most other puppies are robust and rowdy, it hurts me terribly just to move. The pain never lets up. It hurts to run and play with my beloved little girl, and I find it hard to breath. I keep trying my best to be the strong pup I know I am supposed to be, but it is so hard. It breaks my heart to see the little girl so sad, and to hear the Mom and Dad talk about "it might now be the time". Several times I have went to that veterinarians place, and the news is never good. Always talk about Congenital Problems. I just want to feel the warm sunshine and run, and play and nuzzle with my family.

Last night was the worst, Pain has been my constant companion now, it hurts even to get up and get a drink. I try to get up but can only whine in pain. I am taken in the car one last time. Everyone is so sad, and I don't know why. Have I been bad? I try to be good and loving, what have I done wrong? Oh if only this pain would be gone! If only I could soothe the tears of the little girl. I reach out my muzzle to lick her hand, but can only whine in pain.

The veterinarians table is so cold. I am so frightened. The humans all hug and love me, they cry into my soft fur. I can feel their love and sadness. I manage to lick softly their hands. Even the vet doesn't seem so scary today. he is gentle and I sense some kind of relief for my pain. The little girl holds me softly and I thank her, for giving me all her love. I feel a soft pinch in my foreleg. The pain is beginning to lift, I am beginning to feel a peace descend upon me. I can now softly lick her hand. My vision is becoming dreamlike now, and I see my Mother and my brothers and sisters, in a far off green place. They tell me there is no pain there, only peace and happiness. I tell the family, good-bye in the only way I know how, a soft wag of my tail and a nuzzle of my nose. I had hoped to spend many, many moons with them, but it was not meant to be. "You see," said the veterinarian, "Pet shop puppies do not come from ethical breeders."

The pain ends now, and I know it will be many years until I see my beloved family again. If only things could have been different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
I'm crying, too...if we could make the people selling these poor creatures live like they are making the animals live, maybe it would stop!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Sadly, as long as there are people out there who continue to buy from pet stores there will always be stories like this.
No matter how much any of us try to persuade people to stop buying from these horrible unethical monsters, there will be those who will. The only way that it may change is if the law took a stand and made licensing of the sale of live animals in stores so extremely high that the owners will simply not aid and abet the puppy mills. There also should be a way of making sure that all breeders of dogs and pet animals must abide by very strict rules, register their premises with their city and endure regular inspections to rule out cruelty and irresposible mass breeding under adverse conditions. Until then this outrageous business will continue to flourish and our precious little furry friends will go on suffering at the hands of unscrupulous millers who just want to become wealthy at the expense of these poor little friends of ours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
It still amazes me in this day and age how many people still don't realize the pet shop/puppy mill connection. Or if they do, they still believe they are doing a good thing by "rescuing" a puppy from a pet store cage. They refuse to realize that by doing so, they are sentencing thousands of other dogs to continued pain and suffering.

I AM FAMOUS NOW

I was born today. One of ten. My daddy was very famous. I have lots of half brothers and sisters. My mother is very famous. Since she got famous, she only has puppies. No more loving hands. No more fun trips...just puppies. She is always sad when they leave her.

I left home today. I didn't want to go, so I hid behind my mama and my 3 littermates that were left. I didn't like you. But one day they said I would be famous. I wonder-is famous the same as fun and good times? So you picked me up and carried me away, even though you were concerned
about me hiding from you. I don't think you liked me.

My new home is far away. I am scared and afraid. My heart says, "BE BRAVE". My ancestors were. Did they go to "good homes", like mine? I'm hungry because I can't eat too much because it will be bad for my bones. I can't bite or snap when the children are mean to me. I just run and play and pretend I am in a big green fiels with butterflies and robins and
frogs. I can't understand why they kick me.

I am quiet but the man hits and says loud things. The lady doesn't feed me good things like I had with my mother. She just throws dry food on the ground, then goes away before I can too close for touching and petting. Sometimes my food smells bad but I eat it anyway..

Today I had ten puppies. They are so wonderful and warm. Am I famous now? I wish I could play with them, but they are so tiny. I am so young and playful that it is hard to lay here in this hole under the house nursing my puppies. They are crying now. I am so hungry. I scratch and worry at my
fur. I wish someone would throw me some food. I am also very thirsty.

Now I have eight puppies. They got cold in the night and I could not make them warm again. They are gone. We are all very weak. Maybe if I take them all out on the porch, we could get some food?

Today they took us away. Someone grabbed my puppies. They cried and whimpered. We were put into a truck with boxes in it. Are my babies famous now? I hope so because i miss them. They are gone, and this new place smells of urine, fear and sickness. Why am I here? I was beautiful
and proud like my ancestors. Now I am hungry, dirty, in pain and unwanted. Maybe the worst is unwanted. No one came although I tried to be good.

Today someone came. They put a rope on me and led me to a room that was very clean and had a shiny table. They put me on the table and someone held me and hugged me. It felt so good!! Then I felt tired and laid down in the arms of someone who cared.

I AM FAMOUS NOW. TODAY SOMEONE CARED
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Here are a couple of interesting sites, but I must warn you it is sad and may upset some of you if not all.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/kennel-examples.html

Sites such as these are so easy to find on the net and they are so disturbing but true and if true pet lovers were to visit these sites perhaps the fight would end with millers being stopped. If only.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Ok so thankfully it is the end of the school year and the kids are kind of used to me chocking up at stuff but this time it is really hard to explain to them why I have tears in my eyes. I finally got it together enough to tell them about the stories on the first page. Now I have a class of kids who are all looking wet eyed. I think it is good though because then they now know about the pups in the pet shops and how they got there and are treated. Maybe they will help educate their parents and not buy from stores that sell animals. I know it is a small start but at least it is a start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Jun 27 2005, 04:10 PM
Ok so thankfully it is the end of the school year and the kids are kind of used to me chocking up at stuff but this time it is really hard to explain to them why I have tears in my eyes.  I finally got it together enough to tell them about the stories on the first page. Now I have a class of kids who are all looking wet  eyed. I think it is good though because then they now know about the pups in the pet shops and how they got there and are treated. Maybe they will help educate their parents and not buy from stores that sell animals. I know it is a small start but at least it is a start.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75717
[/QUOTE]
So sad, its good to teach them early and show them the horror some pets go through in shops
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top