Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a really touchy subject, but would a few opinions on this. I TRIED to post this at "www.malteseonly", but it seems even though they say you are allowed to voice your opinion, if your opinion goes against their opinion, you can forget about hearing what others have to say cuz it just isnt' gonna happen, no posting will happen. Okay, on with it....

I know all the things they say about you shouldn't buy puppied from pet shops because they come from puppy mills and because these mills are making money of these poor little animals, are usually in poor health, etc... BUT I have to ask this, what about the poor pups who are ALREADY in the pet shops?

People may not agree with me, but to start with, I have two dogs, one I got from the SPCA, a mix, Springer Spaniel & Beagle, a WONDERFUL dog. The other is Morgan, my malt. I am sorry, but he DID come from a pet shop. I happened to be out with my husband for dinner, we had a long wait, decided to go to the pet shop just to "window shop". I saw him and knew he wasn't some little puppy. I asked the girl in there how old he was and she told me he was SIX MONTHS OLD. They had had him since he was 12 weeks. This means he had spent all of this time in a cage! I couldn't handle it and it ate at me all night, the next morning I went back and I bought him! As far as I am concerned, I RESCUED him too, maybe a very expensive rescue, but I dont' regret getting him out of there and having him now in a loving home where he is spoiled rotten!

I have heard all of the horror stories about they are usually really sick and have all sorts of problems, but I guess I was the lucky one in a million who got a VERY healthy little puppy. Even if he hadn't been, I think, (I KNOW), I would have still bought him anyway. He is the most wonderful littel guy in the world to me!

·
Registered
382 Posts
pet shops

It's a fine line. I know what you are saying and I see and agree with your thoughts and feelings. You did rescue him and you are very lucky. The same goes with the backyard breeder, you can end up with a very sick pup from them as well. I did that years ago when buying a german shep. pup. She was so sick and ended up dying. I was so heartbroken over all that she went thru. Still makes me want to cry. Anyway the truth is that the mills and what those poor dogs endure is so terrible that hopefully one day there will be no more mills and if people continue to buy, they continue to breed and dogs continue to suffer. That brings you full circle to your choice in buying your little one. Somebody has to take them and give them a loving home too and that's just what you have done. It's not just black and white. You did fine and I'm glag your malt is healthy and in a loving home.
I know what you mean about posting on that "other " maltese site. It's so controlled and there is no reasoning to what will be posted and what is rejected and if he gets tired of you........... your post never make it thru. I have wondered if he even refuses to post messages by people who do make sense and fear that others may agree with them. Does he feel threatened or inferior? He arrogant, rude and hateful and I feel sorry for any friends and family that put up with him. Surely he can't be happy with himself treating people the way he does.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this also, pet shops encourage puppy mills, people looking for a quick dollar, but what about the ones there, I would prefer to buy one and at least try to give it a good home, it doesnt deserve to die in a cage, however, when you do buy one they will just get another, its a no win situation, hopefully if enough people start questioning pet shops about how, when, where did this pup come from they will get the hint that it isnt right, but i doubt it, I bought Sampson and Maggie from the same "backyard breeder" years apart by chance and I would do it again, no problems whatsoever other than they both have alergies

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes i agree with the original posters
regardless of rescue places, puppymills,pet shops
these pups need homes and to condemn them is wrong
its the people that run it that should be condemned not those innocent babies
When i bought my Maximillion ( male Maltese) I was not to up on where you go so i went to a place locally that had a name with Breeder in it so i thought that i was buying from a breeder , well it turns out that they supposedly have breeders who breed for them , the place is off of a major road and its in a house like so i really did think they were the breeders in any event i paid alot for Maxi they told me he is a pedigree, and gave me his papers and that the reason he was so much money was because he comes from champion lines and won't get more than 6lbs well
at almost 7 months april 16th he is 9lbs and the most wonderful baby and he is my baby and i wouldnt car if he was 200lbs , i adore him and yes was it unethical the way they sold him yes but would i ever give him back
NO WAY.........He does have all his black points and a magnificent face with the cutest personality , so i mean woudl i buy from them again
NO to many pups come out of there with kennel cough and parasites like my maxi did the first week i had him, we were at the vet for weeks but i gave Maxi alot of love and care and thank god he is fine

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
its a tough call, i am not a breeder so my intrest isnt in my bottom line, its in the love of dogs, "saving" them encourages another "sale", ignoring them may lead to something worse, its a sad vicious cycle

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well I have a strong and definite opinion on this subject. Grit your teeth and DO NOT BUY THAT PUPPY! When you "rescue" a puppy by purchasing it from a pet store or puppy mill directly, you are condemning many more dogs to a life of horror and misery: The parents, the siblings who may have been retained for further puppy mill breeding, etc.

So, saving one dooms many. Leaving the one in the store, saves many who would take its place.

J

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with Pico's Parent. I know that it is very difficult to see that cute little puppy in the pet store, but you must not buy it! I went into a pet store last December to see a maltese puppy - wanted to compare to a yorkie. I felt so bad for those puppies. All of the puppies looked so stressed out and three to a little cage. I am so glad I did not buy a puppy because even though I would have been saving one another one would have just replaced that one. And who knows what kind of problems I would have had. I am soooo glad that your puppy is wonderful and I hope he has a wonderful life with you.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. Bite the bullet and wait for a reputable breeder. Chronic illness and constant Vet visits and the failed promise that your newly purchased malt will be small (who end up being huge) are giant signs that you are dealing with a pupmiller, I would run, not walk away from that breeder. Alot of them are breeding countless dogs from a small male malt and a bichon or poodle bitch, then you get the curly hair and big size. Which is fine if that is what they are telling you you will get, so if they lie to you about that what other lies are they telling you. And right on about Hollybelle. She herself went on and on in a maltese magazine article about how much love and care malts need and how she raises hers inside, and look how she abused those poor babies. We can't save the world but we can sure do our part amen!!
P.S. Anyone here from Louisiana?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any breeder that lets their puppy go to a pet shop just does not care about their pups, they are only interested in the money.

Every puppy that is bought in a pet shop will be replaced by two to keep up with demand. Also resulting in the Maltese mother being bred again and again to keep up with demand.

I do agree that a pet shop is no place for a beautiful Maltese puppy, they need and thrive on love and cuddles and should have a loving home BUT ! ! ! there will be another two in it's place when you purchase that one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
how would you know who is a puppy mill?i bought my puppies registered from back in iowa they were sent by airplane i live in california. they are wonderful healthy and could not be shipped til they were over 16 weeks with shot records and well groomed.i read the article on tennessee,what a heartbreaker,i keep hearing so much on puppymills,i would like to know how to know what is a kennel breeder and puppymill thanks becky sweetpeas mom

·
Registered
994 Posts
Listen i agree they should stop these puppymills but as Kit wrote someone has to take care of these babies and to me they are rescues just like if you got a pup from the rescue places
these pups are not asking to be born and if they are lucky enough to get one of us as there family god bless is what i say

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with the remark about saving one from a pet store will doom many more...those puppies in the store are doomed if they are not gotten out and the mills are still gonna run to sell privately to the unknowing and to other store chains. Yes, it is a fine line, but you have to have a heart too. It isn't a question of forgetting Hollybelles or any other puppy mill. What needs to happen is very simple some type of law or restrictions or staute on breedng, the problem is the BREEDERS and brokers and I refuse to condem a poor innocent puppy because of some theory of "if you buy a puppy from a store you condem others" If a puppy originally comes form a puppy mill he is automatically condemned no matter what. This puppy I RESCUED was not a LITTLE puppy..he was SIX MONTHS of age. Would any of us like to be spending our lives in a cage for that length of time? I am not trying to say one thought is more right than the other, but I cannot change how I feel or what I would do or have done. I feel good about myself for taking him out of there, just as good as I did the day I got my other dog from the SPCA.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with those who said "don't buy." Buying one pup sends a message up the chain that there's a demand for Maltese, and somewhere, another bitch will be bred and another puppy will enter a world of greed and misery.

The suggestion on nopuppymills.com is to find out the wholesale price of a Maltese (I think it's usually about $200 to $350) and wait till the puppy's price falls to that. Then, make an offer on the pup. That way, the pet store isn't getting any profit from the sale, and the puppy is rescued.

Pet stores THRIVE on people feeling sorry for the puppies. They don't care if you buy them to rescue them; they only care if you buy them. And as long as we buy them for more than they paid for them, they're making money.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I "rescued" mine from a Pet Store and that was pretty much what I did, his price fell and I grabbed him. Keep in mind that most Puppy Mills are using BROKERS too, so there is another cut into the pie. The Mill wants their money, the Brokers wants his slice and the Pet Store wants their peice of the action too. I didn't exactly pay quite that low a price for Morgan, but when these guys got done, I dont' think there was much to go around as he was six months old and the Pet Store had all his initial investments in the pup plus all his medical. He had already had all his shots except his lyme. So for $600.00 dollars, he was saved from being put to sleep and went to a home where he is happy and loved and no one saw too much profit except for Morgan and I. And the profit we saw was NOT monitary!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
there was a petstore near where i lived in san diego. he told me that they would buy the dogs for like $75 each and then sell them for around $250. i was like "thats a rip off" and he was like "im not stopping you from looking at the newspapers". I went there a few times (just because it was close to home and i really needed something) but i have decided that I'm not going to buy from a pet shop that sells dogs or cats.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I won't buy anything at stores that sell dogs or cats, either. I do most of my shopping at Pet Supplies Plus.

As for price increases...somebody on No Puppy Mills wrote:

There's a really nasty pug/chihuahua breeder here in MN (I should know, I got one of her puppies), and some of her chihuahua pups were listed on divapup. The pups are $250-$400 on her page.... but the SAME puppies (even used the same photos) were $1500-$4000 on divapup![/B]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts