Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by this pet store in Beverly center other day and saw two SICK looking maltese.(skinny and terrible tear stain) They priced female$2900 and male$2500. You can buy a show dog for this price.
I wish we can do something about these pet store puppies.
So sad.
As we all know many people have no idea about where these puppies come from. Do you have any idea? Maybe ask for Oprah's help???

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thats always what i tell people who dont seem to really care about the horrible conditions in puppy mills (although i dont see why those people are getting a dog in the first place) is that you are getting a lesser product for more money if i had $2900 to spend when buying my puppy i would have a dog from one of the top breeders proubly

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Jan 6 2005, 10:46 AM
poor babies.  I hope they end up in a good home.  I couldn't afford a $2900 puppy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27988
[/QUOTE]

Yes, $2,900 plus mega vet bills due to the strong possibly of many health issues with these babies. Oh, it is just too sad to even think about....

I just don't understand how the U.S., a supposedly civilized country, can allow puppymills to exist.

Right now Rhapsody Maltese, one of the best in the "Maltese world", has an absolutely adorable nine-month-old male puppy available for $2,000 that has a champion sire and both the dam's parents are champions .....

Gosh, I just love looking at the photos on that site!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 6 2005, 12:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mylittlebella
@Jan 6 2005, 10:46 AM
poor babies.  I hope they end up in a good home.  I couldn't afford a $2900 puppy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27988
Yes, $2,900 plus mega vet bills due to the strong possibly of many health issues with these babies. Oh, it is just too sad to even think about....

I just don't understand how the U.S., a supposedly civilized country, can allow puppymills to exist.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27997
[/B][/QUOTE]

That price is crazy. That is deffinetly a show dog price. It'horible how they get away with it.

We have the same problem here in Canada too. They do tend to catch a few of them and convict them, but not until the harm is alreay done.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lani@Jan 5 2005, 11:18 PM
Maybe ask for Oprah's help???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27943
[/QUOTE]

Several of us have written to Oprah about this.... can't remember if was on SM or maybe it was MO(yuk). I say, let's keep writing.... I think I'll do it later today ... again.

Also, I am surprised that the ASPCA, HSUS, and PETA are not doing more. Peta spent all that time, effort, money, PR, throwing paint on people who wore fur coats and here are dogs and puppies who need help and publicity, too.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 6 2005, 11:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lani
@Jan 5 2005, 11:18 PM
I stopped by this pet store in Beverly center other day and saw two SICK looking maltese.(skinny and terrible tear stain) They priced female$2900 and male$2500. You can buy a show dog for this price.
  I wish we can do something about these pet store puppies.

So sad.
As we all know many people have no idea about where these puppies come from. Do you have any idea? Maybe ask for Oprah's help???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27943
Several of us have written to Oprah about this.... can't remember if was on SM or maybe it was MO(yuk). I say, let's keep writing.... I think I'll do it later today ... again.

Also, I am surprised that the ASPCA, HSUS, and PETA are not doing more. Peta spent all that time, effort, money, PR, throwing paint on people who wore fur coats and here are dogs and puppies who need help and publicity, too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28001
[/B][/QUOTE]

There was a HUGE thread on MO about this and writing to Oprah right before I left. Several people were writing. It wouldn't hurt to send more!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It's especially upsetting when we learn that our governmnet loans the biggest puppy broker in the country (Hunte Corporation) money to sell dogs in retail stores and that he is also being wined and dined by the AKC. Between that, our too weak Animal Welfare Act, not enough inspectors to do field visits, and still not enough awareness by the general public about the pet shop/puppy mill connection, we really need a big name like Oprah to bring attention to the issue.

I know Terry (Missy) wrote most of the news shows about a year ago trying to get them to do a story with no luck. I think Jodi tried to contact Ellen, a big animal lover, about a story, too, but she never reported back on it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 6 2005, 11:43 AM
It's especially upsetting when we learn that our governmnet loans the biggest puppy broker in the country (Hunte Corporation) money to sell dogs in retail stores and that he is also being wined and dined by the AKC. Between that, our too weak Animal Welfare Act, not enough inspectors to do field visits, and still not enough awareness by the general public about the pet shop/puppy mill connection, we really need a big name like Oprah to bring attention to the issue.

I know Terry (Missy) wrote most of the news shows about a year ago trying to get them to do a story with no luck. I think Jodi tried to contact Ellen, a big animal lover, about a story, too, but she never reported back on it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28014
[/QUOTE]

I keep saying I'm going to do something and I don't seem to follow through.

I could possibly get access to Senator Liddy Dole.... Lady's Mom... you would be so great to meet with her and update her on this issue..... would you do this if I can arrange a meeting in Raleigh some time.... not sure when it would be as the person who can help me with this is very involved in the Tsunami disaster right now..... I'll PM or email you with more info if you could do it and if you think it would be of any value.....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm not sure appealing to the sensibilities of politicians, especially North Carolina politicians is the most effective use of time and energy. Remember, these are the same people who legislate in favor of hog farms! And I think there might be more receptive politicians than Elizabeth Dole. There was a bill pending in either the House or Senate this summer which would allow civil remedies for animal abuse cases on top of criminal penalties. The sponsors of that bill or other types of pro animal rights bills would probably be the best to appraoch if we decided to go that route.

I still think the best way is get a celebrity or news organization to champion the issue. It seems it's only when an issue is brought to the forefront and the general public becomes aware of it and demands changes, that legislation gets changed.

Maybe some of you who still post to MO could update us on the status of the Oprah petition. And when Jodi is feeling better, I'm sure she'll let us know how she did with the Ellen show last year. I'll email Terry and get an update on the news shows. I know she did a lot of hard work on that awhile back. She was approaching it creatively, as I remember, as not just the same old, same old animal rights issues, but from a consumer rip off angle.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 6 2005, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure appealing to the sensibilities of politicians, especially North Carolina politicians is the most effective use of time and energy. Remember, these are the same people who legislate in favor of hog farms! And I think there might be more receptive politicians than Elizabeth Dole. There was a bill pending in either the House or Senate this summer which would allow civil remedies for animal abuse cases on top of criminal penalties. The sponsors of that bill or other types of pro animal rights bills would probably be the best to appraoch if we decided to go that route.

I still think the best way is get a celebrity or news organization to champion the issue. It seems it's only when an issue is brought to the forefront and the general public becomes aware of it and demands changes, that legislation gets changed.

Maybe some of you who still post to MO could update us on the status of the Oprah petition. And when Jodi is feeling better, I'm sure she'll let us know how she did with the Ellen show last year. I'll email Terry and get an update on the news shows. I know she did a lot of hard work on that awhile back. She was approaching it creatively, as I remember, as not just the same old, same old animal rights issues, but from a consumer rip off angle.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28040
[/QUOTE]

I agree with your assessment regarding representatives from the southern states. However, maybe the way to approach the issue is from the budget/appropriations process. There might be way to draft legislation that would prohibit the USDA (I assume that's the agency responsible for the loans) from providing loans to certain types of farming operations. I am not a lawyer, but I would be willing to bet that PETA or ASPCA or some other such group has language drafted to achieve this goal. The problem with these organizations is that they are viewed out of the mainstream. I think if each of us were to undertake a letter writing campaign to our senators (two from each state) and our representatives (or better yet all the Congressmen from our state) we would get some response. Not every Member of Congress is getting a campaign contribution from Hunte Corp. And if we can find one sympathetic to the cause, then great. I really don't know much about Hunte...do they raise puppies themselves or are they strictly brokers who purchase and warehouse dogs from puppy mills like Hollybelle?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I was really disappointed with the Ellen show. They never responded to me. I don’t watch the show as much as I used to. I get discouraged when Ellen talks about things like Laberdoodles and other things that makes you cringe. There are a lot of people that look up to her and when she promotes things like Laberdoodles and other mutts, people want to go out and buy them. She only adopts and I think that’s great, but she really needs to educate herself on pet stores and back yard breeders if she wants her audience to follow her lead and adopt also.
I am sorry I have not been posting much. I get spurts where I can sit on the computer for a little while but then I have to give up and go lie down again. I have a garbage bag next to the couch filled with snot rags lol. I usually can only fill a grocery bag but since this nasal infection I have been blowing my nose every couple of mins. everyday! It's quite frustrating. I am disappointed that I can't go to church Sunday too. My brother and sister-in-law got me a $50 gift certificate to a day spa near them and I got all my hair cut off and then got bright blond highlights. It looks great and I want to show it off to everyone, but I can't go out into public for a while. I better take a picture before it grows out lol.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Jan 6 2005, 02:10 PM
I am sorry I have not been posting much.  I get spurts where I can sit on the computer for a little while but then I have to give up and go lie down again.  I have a garbage bag next to the couch filled with snot rags lol.  I usually can only fill a grocery bag but since this nasal infection I have been blowing my nose every couple of mins. everyday!  It's quite frustrating.  I am disappointed that I can't go to church Sunday too.  My brother and sister-in-law got me a $50 gift certificate to a day spa near them and I got all my hair cut off and then got bright blond highlights.  It looks great and I want to show it off to everyone, but I can't go out into public for a while.  I better take a picture before it grows out lol.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28074
[/QUOTE]
Awww, I am sorry, being sick is no fun. I hope you feel better soon! Your hair sounds cute. :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hey....thats really messed up. i hate seeing puppies at a petstore. and i feel bad cuz i want to 'rescue' them.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 6 2005, 01:21 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28040
[/QUOTE]

I only mentioned Dole because as far as I know, she is the only senator that I could get access to fairly easily... she is a very, very close friend of a dear friend of mine. I do have some political connections and if you can let me know the name of someone who could help us, I could be possibly be able to help in some way. My connections are only Republicans (I'm a Democrat myself
)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like only thing we can do is to ask oprah for help.
I'm going to write her tonight. Anyone else??? It's better if MANY of us can get her attention.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Jan 6 2005, 10:19 PM
I just checked their website - what propaganda is right!!!! Especailly Our Promise and Take a Tour sections and the 3 minutes video.  BTW they feed and recommend Royal Canin - does Royal Canin have a vested interest in them or vice versa??? Sure gets you thinking doesnt it

Sickening really sickening.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28176
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was wondering about the Royal Canin connection myself. It made me not trust the brand as much! I'm wondering if, since they have to buy so much puppy food, if perhaps they did some bartering for a bargain price if the brand was promoted on their site. I wouldn't be surprised.

But yes the video and the whole site is sickening! If they really cared about the welfare of animals they wouldn't be in the business they're in to begin with!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I know Wag, the local pet boutique downtown where I used to be able to get Royal Canin has stopped carrying it. The owner told me that since they have merged wth Waltham, they are using cheap fillers like corn in their product.

I'm a Democrat, too, Sher, so I'm not a big fan of Liddy Dole. Besides, I know she's very involved with the Red Cross and I'm sure her heart will be in the Tsuami aid now.

I'll see if I can find out if there are any non-hog lovin', pro-animal legislatures in North Carolina!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts