Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight after puppy class we were taking a little walk around the mall and since hardly any stores allow pets around here we sometimes stop into petland. We met up with two people who we had just met at the petco during class who made a huge fuss over Phoebe. They were looking at dogs and asked where I got her, and under the guys' breath he asked if I would get one there, and I said no. I noticed the woman behind the desk had her eye on me so I did my best to elaborate and I think I got them to change their mind.

Anyway, there was a maltese sleeping in the first cage so we were looking at it and gee I want to take every single one of them home. I feel so horrible. He said that it looked nothing like mine, it definately was a mix but even so, adorable and I just melt there. So he leaves and I see this poor thing struggling to poo and noticed it was diareah and yellow and this puppy was sick. Then it all hit me like a ton of BRICKS.... When I first walked in I remembered the strong smell of disinfectant which I usually dont notice and ALL of the cages had a puppy. its as if the place was just wiped out with something terrible, cleaned and re-stocked.

I ran out of there with Phoebe and thought later. My bf was like what happened? I told him that puppy was sick and who knows whats going on in there.

I heard somewhere (maybe here) that they are trying to pass some law that pet stores will not be able to sell puppies under 1year. Wouldnt even 6 months at least get these puppies properly vaccinated before something horrible could infect them? jee they have to do something

And most importantly to me, do you think Phoebe is ok? I will just die if she might get something from that place. She is properly vaccinated (5months old today), so please someone calm my fears and say she will be ok. or tell me if there is something I should do just in case.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm sure Phoebe will be fine, if you smelled disinfectant it had already been cleaned, you got out of there as fast as you could AND most importantly Phoebe didn't frolic and play and intermingle with the puppies in the cages. You're a good mommy, you've seen to it that she has all her shots so I'm sure she's safe.

That's a terrible story about that place. Most pet stores around here don't sell pets, but they do allow the SPCA to bring in pets on Sundays for adoption.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm not an expert but I really think as long as Phoebe is properly vaccinated and you never put her on the floor - she should be fine. I think she would be fine also since she never came in contact with any of the dogs. ((hugs))

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
All I have to say is that I did that once too... I went into a pet store in my local mall and was a mess for the rest of the night!!!!! I will NOT do it again or I will have that horrible feeling again.
Was Phoebe on the floor walking or you holding her? If you were holding her dont worry at all. If she was walking then just be worried if she licked something. But i'm sure Phoebe is just fine!
DONT GO IN THERE AGAIN... BAD GIRL!! hahah

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well wouldnt you know it today she pooed in her crate and developed some nasty diareah (per bf). The vet has me keeping a careful eye on her and feeding her chicken and rice and if it is not gone in the am I am to take her. They think it sounds a little too soon to be showing symptoms from exposure last night at least. jeeee what a horrible cooincidence!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i know how you feel about pet stores. i'm like drawn in to see if they have a maltese.. and it saddens me. i've seen poor representations of the breed sitting istlessly in their cages and it makes me so sad. the pet store at my mall has a viewing window where you can see cages stacked 5 x 10. and the cages are teeny, MAYBE 2 x 2 if you're lucky

the other day i popped in and i had to smile.. there was a pure white little girl bouncing happily around her wire cage, chasing a piece of food
i melted then - it was almost worse than seeing a puppy being sad.. anyways, i asked the owner how much she was and he said 5000 DOLLARS! how ridiculous is that!?!?!?! i mean you could buy like two females from a top show breeder for that.. ugh. it makes me mad how they overcharge like that.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww Poor Phoebe! I hope it's just a coincidence. She may have ate some scrap food that she wasn't use to.

I guess I should stop trying to hold the puppies when/if I go into the petstore in the mall. Lately, when I go to the mall, I stop to check out this cavalier king charles that is just too adorable. She's been there for over a month. I feel so sad for her, but she doesn't seem too sad. Before I had puppies, I was considering a CKC. I asked this girl how much she cost and she said she USE to cost 2000 and now she's 1000. When 1 first came there a month before that, I asked the worker how much she was and they said 1400. Liars!
I could never go in by myself. I'd leave with a puppy!

CLEAN XOXOXO's to Phoebe from Buttercloud and Noriko.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I can't bear to go in a pet store either. I can hardly bear to even read these posts describing them and the poor puppies in them... it just breaks my heart.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It is so hard to pass up on those sad little faces. But the reality is, that is exactly what the puppy mills (brokers and others involved in these sales) hope for. They know that your urge to "rescue" the pups will have you parting with your $$$ quicker than you can blink your eye.

To me, it is a shame in this country that our government is cutting programs in the Agriculture Department which help supply the nation's food banks while at the same time providing subsidies for large puppy mill corporations. I think Lady's Mom and others have opened my eyes to what's really going on in these "pet" stores.

As far as your pup is concerned, I wouldn't be too worried as long as she's up to date on her shots. We've had a couple of bouts of unknown source diarreah. We now call it the BilJack disease.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts