Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was just wanting to know if anybody has ever taken the training class at Pets Mart. I have signed Macy up to go on November 13. I hope it's a good class and worth going to. I will also let everybody no how she does.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We did it...and I LOVED it...the socialization was great...our trainer was knowledgeable...and Brinkley was the valedictorian!!!!

They are starting the next level class and a tricks class that I would love to put him in-at the first of Nov. But I don't have the extra money right now...and it is almost an hour away...and I cannot afford that gas for training classes...ya know?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I didn't have a good experience with Petsmart unfortunately. Tuffy didn't learn a darn thing and he actually came out more bad habits then he went in with. I was pretty peeved. Plus all the other dogs were way bigger than him so he usually cowered behind me whenever there would be any social play time. The trainer was not very good either.. she really didn't help show how to do the training and she didn't give any one on one attention either. I was so disappointed. But hopefully you all will have better trainers because I think with the right person it would have been a really useful class.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi and I took a Puppy Kindergarten class at the local ARL. It was great and I think it was even cheaper than PetSmarts. There were 12 dogs in the class and at least 2 instructors, sometimes more.

Also check to with your local dog clubs. There is a Obdience club in my city. The offer classes.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
What kind of collar/harness do they want you to use in the Petsmart classes? We don't want to use a choke collar. What age do puppies start those classes?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Oct 28 2004, 05:03 PM
What kind of collar/harness do they want you to use in the Petsmart classes?  We don't want to use a choke collar.  What age do puppies start those classes?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13757
[/QUOTE]

At my Petsmart they actually discouraged the use of any kind of choke collar and pretty much let us use anything other than the choke collar so I just used Tuffy's regular harness and the other dogs also wore harnesses. The puppy class at my Petsmart is puppies up to 6 months old.. but there isn't a minimum age as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Ours discouraged choke collars too..especially for our little kidz...harnesses were fine...he did mention the martingale collars for larger dogs...but did not recommend them for ours...

Brit's mom asked about potty training...we talked about it some..but nothing that I hadn't learned on here and MO by then...we were different anyway b/c we used the wee pads in the house...most the others were going outside. We just didn't talk about it all that much...

There was only one larger dog in ours. They all had to be 6 months or less...but a Golden Retriever is MUCH larger.
..LOL..

The trainer also brought his dog as an example to show the training. He was an older chocolate lab. The best behaved-well tempered dog I have eVER been around!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh THANK YOU! 9 years ago we did puppy kindergarten for Jolie and they used those little choke collars. We just didn't think that would do for a Maltese.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am a firm believer in puppy kindergarten. Not only is it a great training aid, I think it strengthens the bond between you and your puppy and helps a lot with socialization at a crucial time in their lives.

I don't know about your areas, but here in Raleigh many of the local vets offer training classes. I know a friend recently took her little Poodle puppy to one offered by her vet that was for little dogs only. For those of you worried about the size of some of the other dogs in the class (and I would be, too), maybe you can check it out.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brit's mom, when does your puppy start class? I think that is a good idea for us to share tips. On the first day of class they told me to come alone without MACY. Did they tell you the same thing? Keep me posted how your little one does!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I never signed Kodie up for any classes but my sister did for her pug... Hes sooo baddd... He doesnt sit or anything.. haha... but he is friendly to all dogs! I know every dog is different so I dont think I would say to anyone, Dont go to training classes.... There are some positive things that I think are great (etc. socialization)... but I do all my training myself at home. Kodie is probably lacking socialization skills because he is not around too many dogs. Hes scared of every dog except my our beagle (he pasted away this past Feb.). I find the hardest thing to teach a dog is to stop barking but otherwise Kodie has learned a lot of tricks! Those that sign up.. let me know if they teach how to stop barking!!! :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I signed Macy up the other weekend there was a class going on and I listened for a little bit and at that time the class was about dogs barking at other dogs what the instructor did was when the dog started barking she had a spray bottle filled with water and she sprayed the dog with it. It worked for just a second then he continued to bark again.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 1 2004, 02:17 PM
I've tried that with Lexi and it didn't work.  She LIKES being sprayed! 
  She licks the water from the air.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14319
[/QUOTE]

i have never done that..but I have often thought the same thing...my crazy baby would think it was fun... :wacko:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 29 2004, 07:41 AM
I am a firm believer in puppy kindergarten. Not only is it a great training aid, I think it strengthens the bond between you and your puppy and helps a lot with socialization at a crucial time in their lives.

I don't know about your areas, but here in Raleigh many of the local vets offer training classes. I know a friend recently took her little Poodle puppy to one offered by her vet that was for little dogs only. For those of you worried about the size of some of the other dogs in the class (and I would be, too), maybe you can check it out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13825
[/QUOTE]

My Vet here does the same thing. We are signed up for the next round of puppy kindergarten classes. Not sure when they are coming up at this stage though. They combine classes on care with it - things like grooming, proper nutrition etc, so I'm looking forward to that.

Abby is doing really well at the moment. She is 14 weeks old. We are at about 80% potty training at the moment, she can come, sit, down, wait, stay (only for about 20secs if that though - and not with me going too far at the moment!
), go to bed, etc.

She is recognising her toys, like puppy, bee, ball and worm and she can fetch now too. She is good at bringing it back to me after I throw it, but when I go to take it, she always wants to play tug-o-war.... :wacko: Any tips on that? At the moment I'm just saying "Let Go" and when she does tell her good girl.... is that right??

What if I sort of exchange a treat for the toy when she brings it back... would that work????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts