Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone i just saw a post by someone saying that pet silk is concentrated so you have to dilute it, so my question is how do u know how much water to add to it to dilute it ? And do you have to dilute it ?? Thanks
Rosie

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It tells you on the bottle up to how much you can dilute up to. I think some people don't dilute, but I totally do. The shampoo is so concentrated, it can dry out their hair and skin and if you dont dilute the conditioner, you'll use WAY too much conditioner. It's so thick. If your bottle says 10:1, it means for every 10 parts water, add 1 part shampoo. I think? hmmm. What I do is take a bottle and fill 1/10 of the bottle with shampoo and the rest with water. I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't dilute...I just use a little product and LOTS of water...I make sure I rinse really well...no probs will dry skin with us...and he gets a bath once every week or two.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Yes it's 1 to 10. One part product and 10 parts water. I don't dilute either. I just add enough water to the shampoo I use. It has not dried Alex's skin and I am using Pet Silk for a long time. Use it even on myself. After shampoing, rinse, rinse, rinse. But this is true with any shampoo. Of course if you dilute, it will go a longer way. Sometimes when the bottle is halp empty I fill it back up with water.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't dilute either. Princess never had any problems.....It says "CAN BE DILUTED" as much as 10:1.

V

·
0 Posts
I don't dilute these products either...but I use so little. once the dog is thoroughly wet a little shampoo goes very far and same with the rinse. I have never had problems with dry coat on either of my guys and I have been using these products for years.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by vita@Feb 6 2005, 12:56 PM
I don't dilute these products either...but I use so little. once the dog is thoroughly wet  a little shampoo goes very far and same with the rinse. I have never had problems with dry coat on either of my guys and I have been using these products for years.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33804
[/QUOTE]

I don't wash mine myself very often but when I do I will put a little shampoo in a cup and add a little water and swish it around just so I don't end up with a concentrated amount in one spot or apply too much, etc.

How does Pet Silk do for you regarding mats? I got a lot of mats with mine at their grooming the time before last and she had used the Pet Silk. This time she used Bless the Beasts No Tangle and there are no mats yet after a couple weeks. I don't know if the lack of mats is due to her blow drying instead of cage drying or due to the Bless the Beasts no-tangle products ??

V

·
0 Posts
My guess..the mats at that grooming session came more because the groomer used a cage dryer...most of them do...I don't think the cage dryer for a little bit to take some moisture out of the coat is bad but pretty consistency they leave the dog in there too long, then it is harder to really do a good job with smaller dryer on the table...but it takes them less time to complete the grooming.
Lately the only other products I use are..baby shampoo on face, baby no tangle spray as I am blow drying because if I start on one end (I always do head first...though in theoryl this is consider "wrong") by the time I get to the other the hair is too dry to comb out properly so I sprtiz some detangler to re wet.and I found this product that is similar to kolestral (but contains barley) that I will use to smooth down the dried coat..a dab in my hand and rub hands over the dogs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi all. I quick question...do you have to blow dry? Today I had Lacey wrapped in a towel and I was trimming her nails and between her pads. By the time she was ready to be blow dried she was almost completely dry. Her hair isn't as smooth as when I blowdry it but I am fighting the flu bug and I just couldn't bring myself to blowdry her. She wouldn't have gotten a bath at all if it wasnt' for my husband. I was taking a nap, he took Lacey outside to play. We live in Ohio, it is 50 degrees outside and muddy!!! Don't know what he was thinking. Wasn't a piece of white hair on her whole body!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by vita@Feb 6 2005, 01:11 PM
My guess..the mats at that grooming session came more because the groomer used a cage dryer...most of them do...I don't think the cage dryer for a little bit to take some moisture out of the coat is bad but pretty consistency they leave the dog in there too long, then it is harder to really do a good job with smaller dryer on the table...but it takes them less time to complete the grooming.
Lately the only other products I use are..baby shampoo on face, baby no tangle spray as I am blow drying because if I start on one end (I always do head first...though  in theoryl this is consider "wrong") by the time I get to the other the hair is too dry to comb out properly  so I sprtiz some detangler to re wet.and I found this product that is similar to kolestral (but contains barley) that I will use to smooth down the dried coat..a dab in my hand and rub hands over the dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33811
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know what you mean about the cage drying. I didn't even know my groomer would consider doing it the other way until I believe you mentioned something about it in a post a while back. She charges an extra $5 to blow dry and I have to make an appointment way in advance so she can allow enough time to blow dry both of mine. But that's OK with me....

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I can tell you one thing. If I bathe Alex every week (with Pet Silk) I don't have a matt problem. And I don't brush everyday. Even 2 weeks between shampoo and it is not too bad. After that yes there will be a matt problem. I can go 2 weeks here in Houston, but Alex goes barely out and our yard is paved. When we are at our daughter's house in Phoenix Alex gets more dusty because part of their yard is not paved and does not have grass. So over there, if we would stay more then a week he would need another bath earlier. A lot has to doo with the environment, how much time your dog is spending outside. I have used Pet Silk for many years and don't have a dry skin problem. Usually after the bath I rub the coat with Liquid Silk before drying. And I don't let the coat dry by itself. I blow dry right after the bath. Also I don't take Alex to the groomer. I groom him myself. It's not that difficult after all. Started doing it after the groomer did not do the cut I was asking for and it was the only time one of my (many dogs I had over the years) dogs had soooo many fleas I needed to use a flea product on the dog to get rid of them. Still today my husband is convinced that he got the fleas at the groomer. I might not do a perfect job, but who cares.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Feb 6 2005, 06:40 PM
I can tell you one thing. If I bathe Alex every week (with Pet Silk) I don't have a matt problem. And I don't brush everyday. Even 2 weeks between shampoo and it is not too bad. After that yes there will be a matt problem. I<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33853
[/QUOTE]

That's good to know about your good results with Pet Silk. I brush Catcher just about every day and was surprised he got so many mats... even Kallie who never has matted in over two years was getting little mats on her chest area. I'm guessing then that it was the way she was dried or something else besides the shampoo based on your and Vita's comments.

Mine go outside only if it is a beautiful day... no mud, etc. I have divided up my yard into a patio area which has a little bit of grass and mulch and plantings. It is fenced in and then there is the rest of the grassed and mulched yard which my babies never go in. I don't let them on the patio area if there has been a hard rain, etc. They never get dirty from being outside.

I like taking them to a groomer because she can clip their tonnails and get in between the toes so well, etc. I just am not very good with my hands ... not crafty, etc. I have bathed them once in a while but I cannot do all of the fine cutting around eyes, ear hair, etc. If I didn't have a groomer I loved dearly, then it might be different. She is not an "ar tiste" but she is so sweet and very smart and I've never (knock on wood) had my babies get any kind of fleas, disease, etc. from being there (it's at the vet's office). I started taking my first Maltese, Rosebud, there in about 1994 so I have a lot of history with her.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh i ordered my pet silk products from cherry brook i got the shampoo , whiten rinse conditioer and liquid silk you guys are a bad influence on my pocket book !
~ Denise

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Denise, track your Cherrybrook order. I had a problem with them just recently.

I have ordered once or twice from them before and not had a problem, although I do have an attitude about their shipping being so much higher than anyone elses and so slow, to boot. $10 shipping on a $35 order is ridiculous. Revival charges $4 and I get my order in 3 days.

Anyway, I they told me that my order would take 5-7 business days. After 2 weeks "real" time, I called them on Monday to check the status. I was told that it hadn't even shipped and they didn't know why. The rep finally offered to call the warehouse and I held on for ages. She finally got back on and told me that one of the items was out of stock which is why it hadn't shipped.

In this day and age I have never heard of a company not having information in their computer about things being back ordered or out of stock. She gave me some excuse about having 3 different warehouses.

This company isn't computer savvy. The girl took my order by hand- she had me hold on while she got another order form, then told me not to speak so fast because she couldn't write fast enough! I asked if they were computerized as I was amazed and she said that customer service was, but the ordering dept. hadn't gotten to that point!

Anyway, I was so mad! After 2 weeks, I never got a card or phone call telling me that the one item was out of stock! The rep offered to go ahead and just send the Ice on Ice, but I told her to cancel the order. I wasn't about to spend $8 shipping on a $10 item! She swore my credit card hadn't been charged, but now I have to wait for my statement and check.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi marj thanks so much for the heads up i called and cancelled my order i will try with the mjm if all think that is the best site to get it let me know i know i compared prices and they were cheaper than cherry ~ Denise

1 - 15 of 15 Posts