Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Me and Macy are definately going!! Was there a lot of dogs there last year. What kind of activities did you do? Sounds like lot's of fun.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did a parade around Petsmart. I felt silly, but it was still fun. Luckily there weren't many people in the store. They had a trainer teaching the dogs to do tricks, but Toby didn't participate because I didn't want to put him on the floor. They had a costume contest.

My husband and I aren't competitive people, so we were floored at how seriously some people took the contest. Several people brought several costumes to change the dog into! So I thought that was a little unfair that their dog kept winning. I mean there were kids there who had obviously made their dog's costume and I felt bad for them. I mean come on!
They were giving out prizes like a toy or a chew treat and you would have thought people were winning the lottery.

Overall it was fun and I think I am going to bring my camera this year. There was a lady there last year who had her ferret. They gave him a special prize. :lol:

I think we will be dressing Toby up as the hippie and I might bring the other costume if I ever get it made, but I won't enter him in the contest twice.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I forgot to answer the question about the amount of people.

There were at first a few people, but as the night went on, more showed up. If I recall correctly, like every 45 minutes or so they did a costume contest. We stayed for an hour and then left. I couldn't handle another costume change that some people had brought.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
we've gone every year since 2001, it's made me the "soccer mom" of dog activities LOL. buttercup goes to all the petsmart parties, it's helped keep her socialized with all sorts of different types of dogs and people. especially small children. some stores are more "active" than others, it's amazing the difference in some, actually! anyone who lives in the atlanta area: the north point store in alpharetta is hoppin' at these parties!

buttercup has four, count 'em--FOUR! halloween parties this year including the petsmart event. she has always had a much more active social life than i.

she is going as a ballerina once again. it's last year's costume, but it's SO DARN CUTE!
thanks for posting the link, nichole, i was actually thinking that i hadnt seen anything posted about it up here yet, afraid i'd MISSED it already! LOL

ann marie and the "i'm really not even a maltese. i just havent been able to get this darn white furry costume off of me for the last five years...." buttercup

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Our Petsmart is lame.. they'll take pictures of the pets in costumes but they don't have a contest. Last year we were the only ones in the whole store with dogs in costume. It was pretty sad. Maybe this year will be more fun but people around here don't really do the costume thing with their dogs.. which is too bad, because it's so fun! :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 13 2005, 07:23 PM
What other PetSmart parties do they have? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109430
[/QUOTE]

there are usually 3-4 "yappy hours" thru out the year, not including the halloween party, i believe. ask your local store manager if they regularly have them. the 3-4 that i know of are usually petsmart-wide and announced on their website (or emails, if you get their emails), and almost always have a theme of sorts (back to school, school's out, spring fling, etc). like mystify79 said, not all stores are "big participation" stores, some stores just dont have the customer base to generate excitement, some stores just have really lame staff who dont seem to get excited about it (which, in turn, makes the customer feel like "well if the staff isnt excited, why should i bother going?"), etc. some stores though, do have great turn outs. i guess it's pretty hit-or-miss...

we went to the summer luau a couple years ago and buttercup had a blast in her summer picnic dress (and matching ribbons). she met another maltese, andy, who was wearing a matching romper. we called them "raggedy ann and andy" because they were just SO matchy in their red gingham! LOL

ann marie, that's me, dork-squared, and the "yep, she's a dork
" buttercup

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well who knew! Toby and I have been missing out on all the fun!
I am going to have to start looking at their pages a little more closely!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was considering making a costume for Aidan to enter him into that but I couldn't come up with anything really original and I don't think his little pumpkin head costume will win so I figured I'll save myself the trouble. Were these adults that were doing all these costume changes??? If so that is ridiculous, me being the big mouth (sometimes bad thing) that I am, I would've probably said something to them ... I mean obviously they can make a better costume than a little kid but who does it matter most to. If the child wins they'll be happy just because they won and everyone thought their costume was great...not because they won a treat. Ugh, that makes me bad....

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by ElizabethJordane@Oct 14 2005, 08:22 AM
Were these adults that were doing all these costume changes??? If so that is ridiculous, me being the big mouth (sometimes bad thing) that I am, I would've probably said something to them ... I mean obviously they can make a better costume than a little kid but who does it matter most to. If the child wins they'll be happy just because they won and everyone thought their costume was great...not because they won a treat. Ugh, that makes me bad....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109580
[/QUOTE]
YES! That is what made me mad. There were some kids there with some material that they had tied around their dog's neck as a cape and then you had these adults running around the corner to change the dog!
Some of these people took it seriously. Of course it was also interesting to watch as a spectator; competition at its finest.

However, if you go there with the right attitude (we enjoyed just seeing how silly people are with their pets) you will have a blast. :D

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by steponme@Oct 15 2005, 08:59 AM
Hey Nichole,

when you went were people dressed up to or just the dogs. Just curious?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109946
[/QUOTE]
It was mostly the dogs. However, one lady came with her two doxies dressed as hotdogs and she was dressed as a hotdog vendor. Rightfully she won first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts