Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Omg

This is just HORRIBLE! what in God's name happened??? how far was this pooch to have dropped to his death? :w00t::w00t::w00t:

I am in shock!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
That is terrible and so, so scary. I feel so bad for the poor owner...what a nightmare. Now I'll be terrified to leave Bailey at any groomers, especially since he is so wiggly when being groomed.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
That poor lady. I was about to cry reading that and thinking about how much pain she's in right now. It's just unimaginable!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This story aired on our friday evening news as I was wrapping gifts. I was in tears watching the owner tell her story as she cried. My Bailey girl was scheduled to be groomed the next day and boy was that story in the back of my mind the next day. Thank god I trust our groomer I cant even imagine leaving Bailey and then getting a call like that. I hope she fights to get answeres from Petsmart!!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
OMG - that's too horrible to imagine.:crying: I would be beside myself with grief. I hope she gets answers. What a heartbreak.:smcry:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh my goodness! I have such an ache in my heart for this poor woman. And I cannot believe that the people at Petsmart would not give her an honest explanation. That, in my opinion, is very slimy behavior and I hope whomever did this is properly punished.

I cannot fathom what she is going through. How utterly devastating.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
OMG I'm gobsmacked. I thought they put them on a lead or something when they goroom them? A friend of mine is a groomer,she does that. I'd be dying if it was me.Scares me to leave them. I took mine to a groomer twice and both times they didn't want the owner to be there,she says it makes the dogs more excited...

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
So Sad!!!

Good Morning all, This is owners worst nightmare. How awful. I know all groomers have different practices, but this is what I have noticed for any one that has not been able to stay for the visit. I have always stayed with Sammie at the groomers because he was so tiny in the beginning and it kinda evolved into me taking him in (no bath) and she does all the maintenance items and I kind of help. They are usually very busy on weekends, so better to take them on a week day if your not able to stay with them (some will not let you stay). The phone rings a lot and people come and go and there are distractions. I have seen them stop to answer the phone (which stays buy someone usually the owner) or to talk to someone or take a note all while keeping hold of the animals or calling another person to attend them. BUT I am referring to the quick turn of the head accident that could occur with a wiggly dog as may have happened here. The tables are very high and they usually have the loose lease on the dogs as well. The vet must know how easy it is for this to happen, I have noticed he always has an assistant for this reason and one of them always has their hands on the dog at all times to avoid a fall. I am just saying there is a lot of activity with all the owners/animals so maybe it is safer to not have the owners stay. I don't why she lets me but she does, maybe cause he is so small. I guess I never thought about it.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
OMG I'm gobsmacked. I thought they put them on a lead or something when they goroom them? A friend of mine is a groomer,she does that. I'd be dying if it was me.Scares me to leave them. I took mine to a groomer twice and both times they didn't want the owner to be there,she says it makes the dogs more excited...

Yes they do, but they could still able to fall off the edge of the table and I believe the lead could harm them.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
OMGoodness - I thank G-d that we will have in-house training on how to groom the kidz -

That is tragic. Beyond sad.

Hi Allie, I tried the in home groomer for a while and it can be difficult to get it all arranged in a smaller town if your working during the week days. Some have certain times and days (non w/end) they will travel to your area. And some come in vans equipped so they take the dog to the van. I ended up going in but she allows me to stay with Sammie, so I am lucky.

Edited: Sorry Allie, I read your post wrong, I thought you said the in home groomer service. I only wish I could learn to groom Sammie. maybe that will be next for us.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
This story is so sad.

There are too many reasons why we don't goto grooming salons-- I'm always hearing horror stories from my friends about infections, behavioral changes, failure to follow directions, etc. from grooming salons. If I couldn't get in-home grooming sessions, I would just groom my own dogs regardless of how bad it looked. Health and safety are much more important to me than looks.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
This story is so sad.

There are too many reasons why we don't goto grooming salons-- I'm always hearing horror stories from my friends about infections, behavioral changes, failure to follow directions, etc. from grooming salons. If I couldn't get in-home grooming sessions, I would just groom my own dogs regardless of how bad it looked. Health and safety are much more important to me than looks.

You are right
. I worry about the health issues too.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
That is tragic! Most here haveexperienced the heartache because of sending a fluff to the Bridge due to age or illness, but to loose a baby in this manner is ten fold much worse.

I'm sure there will be litigation in the near future over this one.

There was a discussion here maybe a year ago about groomers at Petsmart. What it revealed was there wasn't a standard. Depending on the location, some were great, others not so much.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
This story is so sad.

Your post has prompted me to find an in home groomer (not a van) and I can learn from her while watching. It's a start for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How tragic and sad. What a beautiful dog River was, too. Sure, accidents happen, but I somehow doubt this was unpreventable. Groomers (most, if not all, and I'm certain Petsmart does) are taught to NEVER leave a dog on a grooming table without at least one hand on them at all times. Even with the noose, the dog can jump or slip off the edge of the table and hang themselves, which is why they must keep one hand on the dog at all times. I used to take our 1st Maltese Benson to Petsmart to be groomed, and when I walked in, whichever groomer needed to help me would take the dog she was grooming and put him/her in a kennel in back to assist me. That is the correct way to do things. I haven't taken London or Preston there before, London used to go to a local groomer who was fantastic, and let me stay to watch, but I groom them both myself now. Preston has never been to a groomer.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
OMG this is so tragic! How heartbroken she must be. I'd sure want answers too, it makes me so sad just reading about it. :smcry:
I have a friend who owns a pet boutique and I can't even begin to tell all the bad grooming stories we've heard there. :w00t:
I have a groomer who comes to my house and I'm right here the whole time. I also had someone come to our house in Gulfport so there are groomers out there that will do that. You just have to look hard to find one. I found the one in Gulfport by talking to a vets office there and a friend told me about the girl that grooms here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts