Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've read a bunch of threads on Petsmart basic training (for dogs 5mths and up), and I wanted to give my experience with them so far. I've only had 2 classes so far out of 8, and the first class we dont' even bring our dogs. The second class was pretty good, we learned some basics like sit, leave it, take it, and having your puppy look at you when you call their name.
I'm really taking the class more for socialization since I think Stitch really hasn't had the chance to meet other dogs (with the exception of his new sister Lilo!!!). We're lucky because there are only a total of 4 dogs, so it's a very small class, and all of the dogs are small breeds!
So, I guess all in all, I know PetSmart gets a lot of bad wrap from people, but I really think it depends on the variable factors of the class, like the actual trainer, how many dogs, and what size. I'll keep you all posted on how Stitch is doing

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
OMG too cute!! Lilo and Stitch!!!
I love it!!! I wanted to name my guys Peanut and Buttercup
I'm glad you are liking the classes! Sounds like you have a good group.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Keep us posted! I am still thinking about trying the classes there. I have been asking everyone I know around here with a dog and everyone around here takes their dogs to Petsmart and seem to like it! Good luck!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We had a great experience there. If it was closer/more convenient, I would have taken him for more...Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jul 5 2005, 12:52 PM
Keep us posted!  I am still thinking about trying the classes there.  I have been asking everyone I know around here with a dog and everyone around here takes their dogs to Petsmart and seem to like it!  Good luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78250
[/QUOTE]
Ok today was class #3 at Petsmart. Only two lessons today, but they are taking everyone a lot longer than the first training sessions. Today we learned, "Down" and how to properly walk on a leash.
I thought Stitch would have the first part, piece of cake. We already taught him how to lie down for treats. Turns out we had him only going down in a "Sphinx down" (this is where his hind legs are out to the side on each side of him). The proper down, according to this class anyway, is for one leg to be tucked underneath him, and the upper leg pointing in the same direction but out. Kind of hard to explain, but it's basically supposed to be more restful, and should let up to the next class where we learn "settle". Stitch couldn't get it in class, even with the trainer's help. But when I got home we practiced some more and he's definitely getting the hang of it. (Trick, to get him to to do the proper down, you have him sit, then lie down, and if he does the "sphinx" down, you move the treat slowly towards his hip so he'll curl up and have to move his legs out.
The second lesson, walking on a leash, was SOOOO helpful. When we walk, Stitch is always pulling on the leash. Well we learned to hold the leash short, and have a treat in the other hand, and make sure to let him know you have that treat so he'll focus on your hand as you are walking. The goal is to have him walk slowly by your side so there is no tightness in the leash. As soon as he walks ahead and pulls on the leash, you stop walking and say "uh-uh" or some other, "enough" kind of word. IF he walks by you nicely for a couple of steps, be sure to reward him. It's definitely going to be a slow process, but Stitch is getting the hang of it.
So far, A+++ for Petsmart training.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So glad to hear you are having a good experience. I live in Northeast Ohio and and I checked out the the classes here. I don't know about your classes but the classes at both of the local Petsmart were held in the middle of the store. I observed a few classes and 1) all the dogs were is a very small area right on top of each other and 2) all the noises in the store were very disruptive to the class. I know that Lacey would not have done well with all the people coming up to her in class (people who were shopping) and looking and talking to her. I saw several people just come right up to the class and start making comments about the class, instructor and dogs. They just interrupted the whole class.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.