Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were wondering if anyone uses PetSmarts Vet services. We have a vet, but I am not that happy with them. It would be nice to use the Vet's at PetSmart, their groomers and their puppy classes. Does anyone out there have experiences with them??

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it all depends on the vet...working for petsmart doesnt mean n e thing. i worked with a vet who now works at a petsmart...he was a good guy...and HOT too lol...but im sure there are some not so good ones too. i know banfield has some health maintenance programs that might be beneficial or not. i would just see if u can "interview" the vet...only u can be the judge...unless someone on here lives in the same area.

good luck!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you want inexpensive vaccines, sure. I have never seen a record from a Banfield office that demonstrates vet care I would have felt comfortable with. They all have vaccine histories with the dog vaccinated for everything (Rv, bordetella, DHLPP, giardia, lyme). I would look around for another vet and talk to friends with dogs and find out who they use. Stop in and visit, make meet the vet appts with those you think are a good possibility.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i tried the vet at my banfield....i felt a little uncomfortable. JUST because i like to stay with a routine and stuff. change bothers me. lol. BUT i did eventually change to a vet who lived 5 minutes away. now i live like 10 minutes away....but still go to him. BUT with traffic...it takes like 20-30 minutes to get there
. it sucks. lol. but im happy with him.

i hope you find a great vet. keep trying them out. like a few months ago i went to try the closer vet (just cuz she's closer) but the dogs HATED it there. so i dont go there anymore. they were very nervous...it was weird.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess this is like most things, if you are comfortable and it works for you than that is best. Thanks for all your comments, I truly appreciate them. I watched the groomers at PetSmart working on some little dogs last time I was there. They looked quite nice actually, but I am certainly no expert as to how a dog should look
As far as the Vets go, I guess trying a few to see who looks best would be the better way to go. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Jan 3 2005, 05:22 PM
Well, I guess this is like most things, if you are comfortable and it works for you than that is best.  Thanks for all your comments, I truly appreciate them.  I watched the groomers at PetSmart working on some little dogs last time I was there.  They looked quite nice actually, but I am certainly no expert as to how a dog should look
As far as the Vets go, I guess trying a few to see who looks best would be the better way to go.  Thanks everyone!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27256
[/QUOTE]

Hi Sisse's mom, I mentioned to you in your other post that I live in Tucson and have 2 yorkies and a maltese. We experimented with a few vets in Tucson, and I think that it is hard to find a good one to be honest. I also mentioned that we go to Dr. Samuels on first and country club and he has been VERY reasonably priced as well as knowledgable of the special needs of toy dogs. He spayed my 2.5 pound yorkie (which is always scary putting that small of a dog under anesthesia, as well as my 10 pound yorkie
)....I wouldnt use petsmart, just because they are not as experienced with the needs of toy dogs, and let me tell you that these dogs are different than bigger dogs. I also have a fabulous groomer! I have been to SEVERAL places in Tucson, and most have actually chopped off all of my babies hair or charged a fortune
It is foothills pet salon on oracle, right past river. We used to live in central Tucson, and it was a drive, but well worth it! I also wouldnt let petsmart groom my dog (but then again this is my opinion), they dont use quality grooming supplies and also I recently heard of a story where a lady left her cute poodle (I believe it was a poodle, it could have infact been a maltese) to be groomed at petsmart. A customer saw the dog through the window and thought it was so cute, so they went in there, paid for the dog and took it home! I heard this story from another forum and was again reminded how good the lady we go to is. it is a lot more personal with her and I just feel comfortable with her staff. Also there was a story in florida where a groomer left 2 yorkies in the cage to dry ( you know there are those cage dryers) and she forgot about them and killed them with the dryer since it was too hot! You just really have to be careful where you go (not to scare anyone)...I would love to discuss vets, groomers etc with you! I was new to this whole dog thing in Tucson almost 2 years ago, and I went through a lot of trial and error and learning

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When I first started grooming Lady myself, I went to Petsmart several times to watch professionals doing it. That was an eye opening experience, let me tell you! The scene was bedlam and I saw dogs repeatedly left alone on tables tied to grooming arms (which can become a noose if they stepped off the table). It was noisey and the dogs were handled pretty roughly, in my opinion.

The positive thing was that it made me even more convinced to learn to do Lady myself!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow guys, what an eye opener!! See, I DID come to the right place to get answers!! Thank you for all your advice, I will look around and see what I can find other than PetSmart.........
Kinda embarassing being so clueless, but I guess that's what Spoiledmaltese.com is all about isn't it!! Thanks bunches. I continue to do lots of reading on Maltese and pouring over the forums here. You guys and gals are just great !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Jan 2 2005, 09:33 PM
We were wondering if anyone uses PetSmarts Vet services.  We have a vet, but I am not that happy with them.  It would be nice to use the Vet's at PetSmart, their groomers and their puppy classes.  Does anyone out there have experiences with them?? :huh:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26973
[/QUOTE]

well i have a friend that works in petsmart and i think it all depends on what store you go to i talked to my friend and she said that the never leave the dogs alone they take them down for a break cause it does take a long time to get groomed but that petsmart isnt doing the best thing i wouldnt go there i didnt like my groomer at all so i bought some thing at the pet store it was a do it your self groomer for your dog its great... it has all the sizes so you dont cut to much or to little. it was aroud 30 dollers but you should maybe try getting one of those..

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think she was asking about PetsMart vets not the groomers. Although seeing how they groom dogs might be an indication on how the vets will be, but not likely. John and I took Fantasia to the PetsMart vet near us (30 mins away). and we weren't happy with them. They tried to push almost every vaccination including the lime disease one. They talked me into getting an eye solution that cost a fortune (turned out to be cheap saline solution). They talked me into getting an ear cleaner too and I could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else. Over all I was not happy with that vet. It took us a while to find a vet we liked too, but we finally found one. They are only like 3 mins. away too. IF I had to I could walk it (it would take alot longer than 3 mins. though lol). They don't push vaccinations and when I told them I didn't want her to get any anymore besides the Rabies, they understood and didn't try to talk me into it. They even agreed with me. It used to be two male vets but they recently added a female that I like just as much. Their prices are reasonable too. I have seen a little cheaper but I have also seen alot more expensive, so I think they are just right. When you find the right vet you will know.
Interview the vets in your area, see if you can have a tour of their facility, and ask as many questions as you want. If they are a good vet they will be understanding and answer all your questions without getting impatient. I called one vet and asked a bunch of questions and she stopped me and said if I cared that much about my dog then I better go somewhere else because she didn't have time to answer all my questions. You bet I never went there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts