Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoebe was scheduled for patella surgery this coming Monday. I say 'was' because I have since cancelled. Two or three weeks ago I came home to her limping. In hindsight I remember one or two other times in passing she was holding up that leg. I figured it was a sore muscle or she sat funny or something. Well this time it was so bad that she wouldnt squat to pee, she would just sit instead, so I took her to the vet. They confirmed one of my worst fears, after feeling around, the knee was out of joint. So, they did an x-ray and scheduled her for surgery, definately one knee, and that morning the specialist would look her over and if she needed it would just keep her that day. For 1600$ each knee. ouch.

Now, things right now are going nuts as usual in my life. The day before this, we had bad news that my BF needed tests because of an eye problem that could potentially be serious, and it turned out last week an MRI + other stuff confirmed he has MS. Then, yesterday my company announced we have been "aquired". I am totally at my breaking point...

Anyway I tossed and turned debating on contacting my breeder to ask for help in the cost. One thing I have a hard time doing is asking anyone for money. I know theres no guarantees when it comes to this thing, and I trust that she has done her best in preventing this, but I felt I did my best in finding a great breeder, and Phoebe is not even 1 year old, so it just didnt feel fair (plus I'm a big ball of mess right now). Since theres a price "range" for these puppies and I paid the high end, I decided that made a good enough argument to at least ask for the difference in a lesser puppies cost.

It turned out that she was wonderful and helpful and explained at length to me the whole process and all of her research and experience with this. She is very concerned about Phoebe, and genuinely saddened to hear she has this problem. She is going to work with me, and we are going to rest Phoebe (strict crate or sitting on mommy's lap) and I'll call her with bi-weekly updates. Shes also going to inquire about vet's in PA that I might get a second opinion. She feels most likely she will need the surgery, but relaxed my mind by letting me know there is no rush, and has given me peace of mind that she plans to help and is not leaving me alone in this. She has had some do fine without surgery at all, even high grade luxations such as this. I cannot tell you what a relief that one phone call was.

I have talked to some of you who have had this so I wanted to update everyone. Phoebe seemed to be favoring that leg a few days ago, but has good days where its not bothering her. I can feel that its out though, but even so she is putting weight on it today. We will see what happens.

I've been meaning to write this novel for weeks. Finally I got around to it. Sorry I am so long winded
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Janet,

I have already talked to you about this but I am glad that you reached Phoebe's breeder. I always thought that getting a different vet's opinion is a great idea (that's what we did). I am sorry about your job -- you certainly don't need that on top of everything. I hope your boyfriend is doing okay.

Things will get better! Just hang in there.

Olga
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
awwww, poor phoebe!
sprites been limping for the past month now. and when i first noticed...i started giving her baby aspirin. then earlier this week---she poo'd and had blood. so that sucked. and we arent financially stable right now. SO im getting a school loan. we're hopefully going to see the specialist my vet recommends soon.

good luck with phoebe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Janet,

I am really sorry -- but I have to just say this on this whole topic:

On this forum people are constantly saying that if you go to a reputable breeder that you therefore decrease the risk of health problems. In my opinion, unless the breeder is testing the adult dogs for patellas, liver shunts, etc then its still likely that you could get a pup from even a well known breeder with the same health issues. I am not at all saying that we shouldn't go to a great breeder, but I am saying that I will not buy another puppy without having proof of adult dogs and puppies being tested for liver shunts and luxating patellas (OFA certification). If I couldn't find a toy dog breeder that does that, then I guess I wouldn't get another toy dog. Even in the newspapers, the large breed puppies are being sold with hips and knees certifications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,369 Posts
My foster Daisy is twelve-years-old. She has luxating patellas. Through the years her rear legs actually curved (bowed) to the direction of the dislocation. She's had terrible arthritis for many years. I wish the original owners would have realized the consequences of not having the surgery while she was young, and before so much damage was done.

Poor Daisy has tolerated this her entire life. And now too old to do anything about it. Bless her heart. It's a shame.

My Henry is around 3-years-old. He has one bad knee. I plan on getting that taken of after the holidays.

Good Luck to you and the little one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Janet, I'm so sorry to hear about Pheobe. I hope she is okay
Big hugs to your little peanut


I also want to say I'm sorry about your bf too. MS is something I've been around and there are loads of things that can be done to help. I'm so sorry so many things are going on for you right now. But like always, we are all here for you if you ever need anything or to vent. Take care of yourself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,200 Posts
I am so sorry about all the events happening right now in your life. I hope the best for your boyfriend, one of my best friends was diagnosed with MS 7 years ago and with proper treatment she lives a normal, healthy, happy life so think positive.
I hope Phoebe feels better, i am glad your breeder was supportive. I will pray for everything to be allright.
Good luck with your job too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Ah, Janet, I am so sorry to hear about Pheobe, your boyfriend's MS and your job uncertainty. You are going through some tough times but I know you can dig down and come up with enough strength and toughness to see it all through. It's just what we do, isn't it?

In case you have a shortage of trite sayings:

It's always darkest before the dawn.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!
Troubles come in threes (BF, Job, Patella)
When one door closes, another one opens.

None of these help but the compulsion to spout them is irresistable . :grouphug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
I am really sorry for everything that you are going through right now. I sure hope that Phoebe feels better and I'm glad that your breeder is willing to help you.

My favorite (country) singer was diagnosed with MS about 10 years ago I think. He is on a treatment for it and lives a very active lifestyle(now in remission I believe). He also has used his celebrity status to inform people about it and created a foundation to research and hopefully help find a cure for it. I hope your BF is able to get proper treatment and live a normal life.

Also, the same thing happened to me with the company I worked for a few years ago. I loved my job and of course we all got laid off. Now, I have another job that I absolutely love and make a little more money than I did at the other one. Good luck with everything. If you do have to find another job, then I hope it's the best ever. Remember, "when one door closes, another one opens". I know it's not easy to see at first, but things will get better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Janet I am so sorry to hear about Phoebe's problem and also your BF and your job.

I would like to know if you have tried Phoebe on Glucosomine and Chrondroitin suppliments to assist her with her problem. The reason I ask is because Scooby was diagnosed with LP at the same age and also had problems with his knee slipping out when he would play. Our vet recommended we put him on a short course of an anti-inflammatory which we did and he seemed to be ok for a while but the problem returned. We have since put him on the Glucosomine suppliment and I have to say after six months of this treatment he has not had any trouble since and he races about normally and never pulls up sore. These suppliments help with the strengthening of the ligaments etc that hold the knee in place and also help to repair cartalege. The odd thing is our vet said that although Scooby's knee wasn't too bad he could still require surgery. That was a year ago, now she says he no longer needs surgery because his knee is now a whole lot stronger than it was a year ago. I will be keeping him on the suppliments because I have faith that they are working for him and I find it a lot less invasive than surgery.
Another thing we have chosen to do is to not allow Scooby to climb stairs nor jump from high places even though he loves to do so, he knows now that it is not permitted and insists on being carried downstairs etc. I think that also has aided in taking the stress off his knee and allowed it to get better and stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all so much for the support and words of comfort. I just feel better knowing I dont have to do this right now thats all. I think she will need it, and I actually would like it to be over with so she can get on with being a puppy, but too many other factors right now.

Dont quote me, but the breeder explained alot to me, and one of the things that she said is that this is not only genetic, and injuries can cause them to happen. That being said, she did say that even if there are low level luxations in these toy breeds, you simply could not eliminate them all from your breeding program or you would have little to no dogs. She did say that if she has one show up before 1-2 years of age, then that dog will not be bred, but beyond that she keeps tabs on whats coming out of where and hardly ever has had this problem. She does do the testing on her dogs, and she did tell me neither of phoebe's parents have bad knees, but one of her mothers littermates ended up showing up with the problem.

Someone else pm'd me and did make alot of sense when she said, they say arthritis can be caused by this, but surgery ALSO can cause arthritis. I'm open to any and all thoughts on the matter though. I will take Scooby's mom's advice and try the G\C too. Hadn't thought of that


Now, that post on the snocap pup has me curious because of the patella problem they are having at a young age, may be why she is helping me because its probably a close relative.

Anyway, as far as my BF goes I am especially worried because his problem cannot be "fixed" and is very unpredictable. I know that alot of things can be done and we meet with the specialist at the end of the month. I have totally changed his and my diet, we are like huge natural nuts now
and I am reading up on every alternate and conventional treatment out there. He says if anyone can cure him, I can
but honestly, I have no idea where I get the strength sometimes...

My job is just an added thing to worry but probably the least. I mean, I dont love my job (sometimes hate but not always), but it pays the bills and was very secure up until now. I think I am probably "safe" for a bit at least, and if not I'd have plenty of time to look for a job if I werent so busy with this one. I can think the most positive on this front anyway


Thanks again so much all of you. I'm glad I posted now because you really have made me feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Maybe because I am a medical student but I have the mentality that if anyone (including a dog) has a health problem that can be fixed -- then you fix it!!! Sure, suregy can cause the arthritis but it doesn't predispose to further damage that luxating patellas WILL predispose the knee to. Also, just as 3maltmom said, constant luxation can cause an actual change in the leg bone (how scary is that???). And the bottom line for me is this: I don't want to worry about limiting Miko's activity for the rest of his life (which could be 15+ years) . I only had to limit it for 6-8 weeks and now I NEVER have to worry about his knees. That peace of mind is worth it to me. Its an individual decision and certainly depends on the grade of the knee but if its really high and the dog is limping...then I think there is only one thing to do. I know that lots of people have toy dogs with luxating patellas and chose to wait and its just a personal decision. I know that we couldn't be happier with having fixed Miko's knees. He runs around and jumps and NEVER limps anymore. Sure, it only cost $2400 but I know that we have done everything we could for this dog and that to me is priceless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,200 Posts
I know you have pet insurance in the US, does insurance cover things like patella surgery or liver surgery or just emergencies? Just curious, veterinary care in America is really expensive. I have yet to find out if there`s even an orthopedic specialist here in Mexico that could fix furbabies knees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
I am soo sorry you are going through this. I'm sure everything will have its way of working out. Just know you are not alone. I was sooo sad when I heard of Cloud's Luxating Patellas. So far he doesnt need surgery...but we have our emergency fund ready when that time comes Take care of yourself and sweet kisses to your baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
Have you considered asking the vet for a payment plan? Ours offers interest free payments on major surgical procedures for up to a year.

I sure hope that everything turns out well, for you, the dog and your boyfriend.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top