Phoebe was scheduled for patella surgery this coming Monday. I say 'was' because I have since cancelled. Two or three weeks ago I came home to her limping. In hindsight I remember one or two other times in passing she was holding up that leg. I figured it was a sore muscle or she sat funny or something. Well this time it was so bad that she wouldnt squat to pee, she would just sit instead, so I took her to the vet. They confirmed one of my worst fears, after feeling around, the knee was out of joint. So, they did an x-ray and scheduled her for surgery, definately one knee, and that morning the specialist would look her over and if she needed it would just keep her that day. For 1600$ each knee. ouch.
Now, things right now are going nuts as usual in my life. The day before this, we had bad news that my BF needed tests because of an eye problem that could potentially be serious, and it turned out last week an MRI + other stuff confirmed he has MS. Then, yesterday my company announced we have been "aquired". I am totally at my breaking point...
Anyway I tossed and turned debating on contacting my breeder to ask for help in the cost. One thing I have a hard time doing is asking anyone for money. I know theres no guarantees when it comes to this thing, and I trust that she has done her best in preventing this, but I felt I did my best in finding a great breeder, and Phoebe is not even 1 year old, so it just didnt feel fair (plus I'm a big ball of mess right now). Since theres a price "range" for these puppies and I paid the high end, I decided that made a good enough argument to at least ask for the difference in a lesser puppies cost.
It turned out that she was wonderful and helpful and explained at length to me the whole process and all of her research and experience with this. She is very concerned about Phoebe, and genuinely saddened to hear she has this problem. She is going to work with me, and we are going to rest Phoebe (strict crate or sitting on mommy's lap) and I'll call her with bi-weekly updates. Shes also going to inquire about vet's in PA that I might get a second opinion. She feels most likely she will need the surgery, but relaxed my mind by letting me know there is no rush, and has given me peace of mind that she plans to help and is not leaving me alone in this. She has had some do fine without surgery at all, even high grade luxations such as this. I cannot tell you what a relief that one phone call was.
I have talked to some of you who have had this so I wanted to update everyone. Phoebe seemed to be favoring that leg a few days ago, but has good days where its not bothering her. I can feel that its out though, but even so she is putting weight on it today. We will see what happens.
I've been meaning to write this novel for weeks. Finally I got around to it. Sorry I am so long winded