Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Janet,

I have already talked to you about this but I am glad that you reached Phoebe's breeder. I always thought that getting a different vet's opinion is a great idea (that's what we did). I am sorry about your job -- you certainly don't need that on top of everything. I hope your boyfriend is doing okay.

Things will get better! Just hang in there.

Olga

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Janet,

I am really sorry -- but I have to just say this on this whole topic:

On this forum people are constantly saying that if you go to a reputable breeder that you therefore decrease the risk of health problems. In my opinion, unless the breeder is testing the adult dogs for patellas, liver shunts, etc then its still likely that you could get a pup from even a well known breeder with the same health issues. I am not at all saying that we shouldn't go to a great breeder, but I am saying that I will not buy another puppy without having proof of adult dogs and puppies being tested for liver shunts and luxating patellas (OFA certification). If I couldn't find a toy dog breeder that does that, then I guess I wouldn't get another toy dog. Even in the newspapers, the large breed puppies are being sold with hips and knees certifications.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Maybe because I am a medical student but I have the mentality that if anyone (including a dog) has a health problem that can be fixed -- then you fix it!!! Sure, suregy can cause the arthritis but it doesn't predispose to further damage that luxating patellas WILL predispose the knee to. Also, just as 3maltmom said, constant luxation can cause an actual change in the leg bone (how scary is that???). And the bottom line for me is this: I don't want to worry about limiting Miko's activity for the rest of his life (which could be 15+ years) . I only had to limit it for 6-8 weeks and now I NEVER have to worry about his knees. That peace of mind is worth it to me. Its an individual decision and certainly depends on the grade of the knee but if its really high and the dog is limping...then I think there is only one thing to do. I know that lots of people have toy dogs with luxating patellas and chose to wait and its just a personal decision. I know that we couldn't be happier with having fixed Miko's knees. He runs around and jumps and NEVER limps anymore. Sure, it only cost $2400 but I know that we have done everything we could for this dog and that to me is priceless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.