Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know when I picked out Bailey at 2 weeks old, I went with him because he was the smallest and had the cutest features. The breeder said he would probably remain square, short nose, and he had all his points, etc. However, I didn't really have a bond with him like I did his brother at 8 weeks old. I could have changed my mind and taken his brother then, but I wanted to go with the smaller (and cuter), calmer puppy at the time. Well now he's totally different. He has a long nose (which is his cutest feature), a longer body like his mother's and is still growing! I was dead set on getting a dog just like my last one, a small Shih-Tzu, who was almost all white, had a great personality and who I absolutely loved and was bonded to. I ended up with a dog who doesn't look like I thought and who I'm not as close to "yet" (but I think that will come with time.) I think what my point is, I put so much into picking out a puppy based on looks and tried to get a dog like my last one, that this puppy that I got turned out to be much different and is teaching me much to learn about love, true love not based on looks or how bonded I am to him, but what true love is all about. Does anyone know what I mean? Did anyone else pick a puppy just based on looks also or was there a bond there?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
When I picked out Kylee, it was from site-unseen, like I bought her from a breeder that I found on the internet. I mean, I put a deposit down and waited for her to be born and everything, so it's not like I bought her on next-day pets or anything, but I didnt really pick her out, she was sort of, picked out for me. Anyway, it has been pretty hard bonding with her, especially in the beginning. I think we got off to a rough start though because when I picked her up from the airport I was alone and stressed (traffic, finding the right place, etc) and I didnt even take her out of her carrier until I got back to my house. The carrier was kinda small, so she looked HUGE...strike one (p.s. this ws before I knew not to care about how big or small they were), she was all dirty from pooping her carrier..strike two and then when I finally took her out I thought she was actually a boy and they sent me the wrong puppy!!..strike three. So the first impression wasnt the best. After we veriified she was a girl (my fam. had no experience with girl dogs) I calmed down a little but I think the damage was done. I felt almost no bond with her for the first month or so. Then we started puppy class though, and she did really great. I think she kinda sensed the way things were and tried extra hard to be good. Anyway, the puppy class really really made us bond and now we are moved out and its just the two of us, so she is like my child now. I dont know if this really answered your question, but I guess I just wanted you to know that you arent the only one who didnt instantly bond with your puppy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by NewMom328@Sep 26 2005, 03:09 PM
When I picked out Kylee, it was from site-unseen, like I bought her from a breeder that I found on the internet.  I mean, I put a deposit down and waited for her to be born and everything, so it's not like I bought her on next-day pets or anything, but I didnt really pick her out, she was sort of, picked out for me.  Anyway, it has been pretty hard bonding with her, especially in the beginning.  I think we got off to a rough start though because when I picked her up from the airport I was alone and stressed (traffic, finding the right place, etc) and I didnt even take her out of her carrier until I got back to my house.  The carrier was kinda small, so she looked HUGE...strike one (p.s. this ws before I knew not to care about how big or small they were), she was all dirty from pooping her carrier..strike two and then when I finally took her out I thought she was actually a boy and they sent me the wrong puppy!!..strike three.  So the first impression wasnt the best.  After we veriified she was a girl (my fam. had no experience with girl dogs) I calmed down a little but I think the damage was done.  I felt almost no bond with her for the first month or so.  Then we started puppy class though, and she did really great.  I think she kinda sensed the way things were and tried extra hard to be good.  Anyway, the puppy class really really made us bond and now we are moved out and its just the two of us, so she is like my child now.  I dont know if this really answered your question, but I guess I just wanted you to know that you arent the only one who didnt instantly bond with your puppy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103565
[/QUOTE]
That's interesting. I guess I expected him to be like my other dog - wrong. He's his own dog. I've been wondering a lot if I shouldn't have taken the other dog who I felt more of a bond to, but Bailey also looked healthier, and that was a factor. Ya, I think a bond will grow in time. He's 4 months now, and I just started taking him to obedience class, so maybe after that's over. The trainer said that clicker training is really good for your relationship with your dog. I've also been feeling really overwhelmed with him since he has so much energy, so I'm sure that's a factor too. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I also had pick of the litter...and I was set on getting a girl. I went there, knowing I was getting a girl, played with all the puppies and left with a deposit on my BOY Massimo. It was strictly based on bond. He has a brother who was smaller and was adorable. His sister was also smaller, but more independent and didn't seem to want anything to do with me....more interested in checking other things out...LOL Massimo was the second biggest at 2 lbs at 8 weeks. I have to say, I'm absolutely in love with Massimo...it was the best decision I've ever made.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I picked Peanut because of the bond. He came right up to me and took a nap on my lap. Afterwards we played for like an hour. Peanut's sister wanted nothing to do with me. She was perfectly content being alone. She was a cutie, but Peanut was so sweet, there was really no question about which I wanted. Tic was in a litter of 4 and two were already spoken for, so it was breaking my heart, I couldn't decide on which I wanted. I almost left deposits for both puppies
. Tic was more playful and attentive. I don't regret either choice.
I'm sure as time goes on and Bailey settles down, you will see what a great boy he is
Tic can be a handful still at about 8 months, but everyday he's showing more of his own little personality.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Well, I got Catcher sight unseen and had to trust the breeder. I bonded to him instantly! He was shipped to me and I opened the carrier and he was all fluffy and smelled so good and was just such a calm but happy fellow. I loved him instantly!!

Kallie was the only girl in a litter of 4 and I wanted a girl so there was not a choice. I went and visited her for several weeks and rocked her in a rocking chair and cuddled with her and she was very sweet and it just killed me to have to leave her there. So by the time she came home I was very bonded to her.

in 1990, with my first Maltese, Rosebud, there were four girls in the litter and someone else had first choice. I wanted a larger one and there were two large and two small ones so I got the large one that the other lady didn't pick. I only saw her with the litter one time and didn't know which one I'd get until I went to pick her up. It took about six months or so for me to bond with her. It was my first experience with a puppy and I was totally overwhelmed and not at all prepared.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jack was the only one left of his litter of three total male pups. I asked how he compared to the others, and the breeder told me that he was the calmest, quietest, and by FAR the BIGGEST of the three which was why he was left. I must say I was acutally kind of glad.. I didn't want a tiny dog that would break its legs falling off the couch... and I wanted a snuggle bunny. And guess what I have!! SNUGGLE BUNNY

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well, when we first saw Rosie she wasnt much of a beauty queen but I saw potential in her and she seemed like she had a very sweet, playful personality. We got rid of those tear stains and fixed her hair and she was perfect

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I got Toby based on his personality. He was 16 weeks old when we went to the breeder's house. She had two puppies, Toby was from one litter and there was another male who was from another littler who was a few weeks younger. The other puppy was so quiet and lazy. I personally wanted him, but my husband wanted Toby because he snuggled with my husband the entire night. Toby was also a bit more energetic and we thought that would be a better match with Wally, our Beagle, who was 2 at the time. For once my husband was right. :lol:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cindy, glad you got your "snuggle bunny"! Bailey will snuggle but only with other people, with me he likes to play. Mind you, I'm not complaining...

Carrie, he's so adorable. Everyone's are so cute.

Well, that makes me feel better, K & C's mom, at least I know I might have a ways to go yet.

Thanks for the links, Marj.

How did you get rid of the tear stains, AJ?

Thanks everyone for telling me your "story". I think the puppy I have is the one I was meant to have, but having to do it again, I would go with bonding.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Sep 26 2005, 06:08 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103620
[/QUOTE]
Well, I HATE tear stains so they really bothered me. When she was sleeping we cut the brown parts off so we could start fresh. Then, we applied eye envy everyday and we still do, although she doesnt have any or much anymore. I could tell that the tear stains were managable, not really dark, just dirty and strigy looking. Now she has clean face

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Bridge, I do think as your puppy gets older you will bond better. When they are puppies it is all about them and as they get older they will get so human-like and develop more of a soul, if that makes sense! If it makes you feel any better, I was so overwhelmed with Rosebud at first that I was going to give her to an acquaintance who already had a Maltese. All of the biting and high energy just overhwelmed me. I had gotten her at just under 8 weeks and frankly, it was too early. If I had waited until she was 12 weeks it would have been different, I do believe. But back then in 1990 I had never heard about the 12-week rule.

Anyway, over time we bonded and I came to love her soooooo much!!! She never was a cuddler and I think that is because I did not cuddle with her much when she was a puppy... I just didn't know to do that.
I had only had large dogs before (Irish Setters and Doberman) so I really didn't realize that a Maltese's needs are different.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Sep 26 2005, 07:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bridge
@Sep 26 2005, 06:08 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103620
Well, I HATE tear stains so they really bothered me. When she was sleeping we cut the brown parts off so we could start fresh. Then, we applied eye envy everyday and we still do, although she doesnt have any or much anymore. I could tell that the tear stains were managable, not really dark, just dirty and strigy looking. Now she has clean face

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103734
[/B][/QUOTE]

I laughed that you did it while she was sleeping...

I have learned that the best way to snip Brink's stains are in the tub.
I wash his face and then clip it while his face is wet. It is easier and he is SO still and patient. Don't know why the tub is different, but it works for us. Then when his face dries, he looks so clean...for a few days anyway.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I shave Jack's face where the stains are (so they don't get so bad -- he has pretty terrible stains, entirely bacteria caused), and I also do it right before or right after his bath -- put him on the sink counter, where he can't get away, and he lets me do pretty much whatever I want to his face.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
i was hellbent on getting a little boy shih tzu, so when i stumbled upon a litter of buttercups, i was all out of sorts. i walked up to the room, saw two little girls sleeping, and a little boy who was playing with a water dish. i thought "perfect, a messy little boy...i already LIVE with one of THOSE...." LOLOL but i went over to see the girls, and the little cute one with the perfect maltese tail (ohhhhh so CUTE!) didnt wake up, but the other one (with the soon-to-be bent tail....) woke up, walked over to me, asked for uppies, and promptly fell back asleep in my arms. i knew then... i was a smitten kitten! i knew THIS one was THE Buttercup.

we bonded very quickly. her sister and i...not so much. she had the CUTEST little tail, the cutest little lemon colored ears, and the shortest little nose.... but just didnt have the personality of a buttercup
so the buttercup it was....

ann marie and the "my mommy always smelled like cookies, so i knew i'd have a good home!" buttercup

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was so excited to buy a "Maltese". I think I read everything online about the breed (that's how I found you guys). They were so tiny and white and I can put ribbons in her hair and buy a juicy bag to put her in! Then I learned about the baby doll face and I was obsessed.

I wanted a tiny (I was looking for something around 2 or 3 pounds) all white (no yellow what so ever!) and SHE had to have a babydoll face (I couldn't pick one out of crowd).

So after months of looking for my perfect dog, I found the perfect breeder. 3 boys and 1 girl and a descent price.

When we got to the breeders house (3 hour drive), I was about to bust with excitement. Then I saw the one I was praying to be my little girl. She picked him up and said "Oh, this one is a boy, I thought he was the girl" She handed him to me and checked out the other two. Turns out, they were all boys.

After holding him, it took me all five seconds to fall I love with him. My husband made me play with the other two to make sure I wouldn't change my mind, and he whispered "we can wait for the girl" But like I said, I was in love.

I ended up getting the medium size boy, with yellow ears, that would not stop licking my face.

...i need to go love on him.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Brooks@Sep 26 2005, 10:21 PM
I ended up getting the medium size boy, with yellow ears, that would not stop licking my face.

...i need to go love on him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103813
[/QUOTE]

awww and looking at the pic in your signature....what a CHARMER! that face is to die for. it's clear how you can be just so enamored. you fellow smitten kitten!!

ann marie and the "we're all cute, arent we? how could one be cuter than another? unless you're a communist or something..." buttercup

1 - 20 of 50 Posts