Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sure someone else has had issues with picky eaters.Moses likes a food then all of a sudden turns his nose up.How hasanyone else handles picky eaters?Moses is six.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Mine are generally gluttons, so I am not much help.

Has Moses been like this for a long time?

Maybe make sure there is no underlying health problem, such as pancreatiris, gall bladder problems. colitis, even dental problems which could make a dog lose its appetite for anything, not just a particular food.

But I did have a dog long ago who liked an apparently highly flavored food for a while, but then later would take a piece as a treat but refused a whole meal of it.

My dogs generally seem to like a bland diet. The oldest has been on prescription Hills ID for years. I fed it after I had a lot left over from a dog who had been quite sickly in her senior years. He loved it and does very well on it. He is a senior now, too. Another gets s hydrolyzed protein kibble suitable for a dog with allergies. It is really expensive, but she is doing well on It, and the others get a little as treats, too.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Oh, I just read one of your older posts where you wrote that he was on meloxidyl and some supplements. I wonder if these are affecting his appetite.

Meloxidyl is an NSAID and is the same as Metacam which I know can affect the dog's digestion. One of my dogs is on it recently and doing well pain-wise but his stools are kind of soft now. I may see about adjusting the dose downward if vet okays that.

Maybe the medicine and supplements are having a more subtle digestive effect.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for weighing in.Right now Moses is going with Nutrish,but I have two different dry foods in the wings,one Royal Canine for Maltese,and the other a Simple Food Project.Part of the problem may be I had family for the weekend,including an eighteen month old,so Moses was stressed, calmer now.I also read that Maltese,being the smart little ones,will wait around to see if there is more going to be anything in their dish extra,they are so smart.The food issue start4ed before the weekend,which did not help.He was recently to the vet,so all checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am sure someone else has had issues with picky eaters.Moses likes a food then all of a sudden turns his nose up.How hasanyone else handles picky eaters?Moses is six.
Hi. My 13 year old has been a picky eater from the start she is on a prescription diet but she still refuses it. I tried adding chicken broth, chicken, the prescription soft food, all of which has been suggested by vet. Its always something with her (Peyton). Shes spoiled rotten if she doesn't get what she wants she will get in your face and stares at you but if you don't respond then she will bark. As soon as you get up to get her something she shuts up. So I feel your pain. Just know your not alone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just an update.Interesting.Things are generally better,fyi Moses has not had midoxidyl in months,just his usual Just food for Dogs spplement,Glandex,Omega crunchy and pumpkin.But the interesting thing is last night,the little nose went up,no thank you for what I gave him.and he tried this morning.Hemming around,waiting,so I used some tough love.In a stern voice I told him you are NOT the leader of the pack,few minutes later,I hear chomp chomp on the food.Oh,I also in my search for Mr Finicky,had tried Just Food,a freeze dried food.Not only does it smell bad when reconsituted,but only the cats will eat it,in its freeze dried state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts