Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Boca for a week visiting my daughter and we had gone out on the lanai to discuss some floor covering she wanted to put there. I let Pico out because he has been around their pool in Dallas and never did more than just sniff at the water and didn't seem very interested in it.

Thank goodness my grandson was out there with us because my daughter said she heard a little splash but thought it was Michael standing on the pool steps like he does. Then Michael said "Pico's in the pool", which just didn't register with us because we were so intent on our own conversation. So Michael said it again, louder and when I turned around there was Pico, trying to get out of the pool and falling back instead and treading water. I started running to him and my daughter is yelling "don't run!" because her pool deck is real slippery when wet but I just ignored her because poor Pico just had his head above water and was treading water with his eyes as big as saucers, looking at me. I got to him quickly and pulled him out and my daughter grabbed a towel and he was fine.....his head didn't even get wet. We surmised he must have been going for the thermometer which is attached to a floating yellow duck and just fell or walked into the pool.

My poor baby! He wasn't traumatized, though, because later I sat on the edge of the pool and brought him into my lap and he was ok with it. It's just that the look on his face was "Mom?! Mo-om?! Mom, get me out of here!"

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
OMG how scarey,I would had just died! Thank goodness hes ok and not scared,and Thank goodness you didnt slip and fall! You are not a bad mommy,these little guys move so quickly!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
OMG!!!
How scary, my friends maltese fell into the pool also, he had to doggy paddle to keep from sinking when finally the owner rescued him...he sank all the way to the bottom first so it was quite a scare

·
Registered
486 Posts
this is the reason we make our dogs learn to swim. we take them to the pools and teach them to swim to te edge and use the stairs to get out. In case they fall in heaven for bid. We have a large koi pond in our yard and the dogs get in the waterfall when they get hot. Prissy is the one that taught them that. See my gallery pics you will see some. It never failed she did it after I spent hours grooming her. Also we lost our 17 yr old snauser(sp?) to the pond. We had lived her for about 4 years she always walked around the edge fine no big deal. Then one morning mom woke up and saw the water was cloudy went to check. Molly was to far gone. The worst part was she struggled because the lillies were all torn and rocks from the edges had been knocked down. Molly was my stepdads dog and my poor mom was all by her self I was out of town. She was freaking out but Molly was deaf almost Blind she had a long life and is in a much better place.

Sorry to upset anyone I just wanted to stress it is important to teach your babies to swim even if you never plan to leave them alone. I'm so glad you caught him in time.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even though he is only around a pool a couple of times a year when I visit this daughter, I am going to work with him on the swimming toward the steps when I go back in November. I didn't want to put him in the water so soon after this scare....mostly for my own peace of mind. The sight of that little guy struggling to stay afloat will stay with me forever. How on earth his head stayed dry I'll never know.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I know how scary that is! I am so glad Pico is ok. Last year towards the end of summer and before we knew how ill Holli really was, we were at a picnic at my boss' home on a lake. We were on his docks and Holli just decided to launch herself into 'whatever' it was below. She held on swimming while I panic'ed and my bf was able to reach down and grab her. I was very lucky at that age she automatically knew what to do. Well... she was all covered with sea weed and we were walking her back up to the house to rinse her inside, when I heard a splash. She had gone off into the POOL!!! I was a wreck and did not let her out of my arms the rest of the day. It was a cute story at the time but once I found out that she actually had been sick at the time I get sad every time I tell it

Phoebe had her first swim this weekend off of the boat. I only held her in the water to cool her off and to slowly get her used to it because I would like her to practice just in case...

Anyway, glad pico is ok!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Oh my, poor Pico. Thank god everything turned out ok. About a yr. ago we were visiting my sister in Florida. Peechie was still in that puppy stage. Every day she loved running around her pool (doing laps it was cute). Someone was always out there watching her. One day she was running so fast she fell in the jacuzzi part of the pool. I ran over right away and got her out. Poor baby, she was ok though. She still had a blast of running around that pool.

Peechie's Mom - Karen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts