Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pico had his bi-annual health screen done yesterday and the results were good! Thanks to LadysMom I have the Blood Chemistry Values chart off the internet and I can read his results myself now, even though my vet always discusses them with me. By the way, his MVD Maltese is 13 years old now.

Anyway, Pico's ALTS were 438, down from 685 in June 04. (normal is 10-118)
His BUN was 20 (normal is 7-25)

His WBC was a little below normal but the vet wasn't concerned as this can be caused by stress and going to the vet is stressful for Pico because of all the animal smells and other animals he encounters there plus being held for blood testing, etc.

If any of you vets-to-be can help me I would like to know what MCV, MCHC and MPV are. His MCV was high and the other two were low, meaning they were all out of range. My vet didn't mention those but I am curious as to their meaning. They weren't listed on the Blood Chem Values chart, either.

All in all, for an MVD dog, we are happy with his numbers.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ok before i answer ur question did ur vet say it was high, or are you saying it was high..basically what are the values? b/c if it is just a tiny bit high/low then it is usually insignificant...but if it is truely high, than it can mean a few things.

well i will tell you their definitions...
they are not part of the chem panel that is why they are not on your chart, they are part of the complete blood count...
MCV is mean corpuscular volume, which is basically the size of the red blood cells...if the MCV is high then u r looking at Macrocytosis which is large red blood cells.
MCH which u dont have listed is the mean corpuscular hemoglobin..basically is the amount of hemoglobin in each red blood cell. if it is high u get darker red blood cells (poly chromasia) if it is low you get pale RBC (hypochromasia)
MCHC (mean cell hemoglobin concentration) is a calculated value from the MCH divided by the MCV. but the MCHC usually reflect what the MCH is.
the MPV is the mean platelet volume this is a value that usually is not accurate on a cbc

now that i bored u to death...any questions

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have no idea about the test results but I'm thrilled that Pico is doing so well. I know you must be very pleased and relieved.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm so happy that you are happy with Pico's results. I don't really know much about the tests that Pico got done, but if you're happy it's good enough for me!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your well wishes. I know many of you have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but I know there are several on this forum whose furbabies also have Microvascular Dysplasia (MVD) and I wanted to share Pico's experience with this.

Lady Montava, I pretty much understood what you said but don't really know what most of it means in terms of Pico's health. His WBC was 5.4, a bit low but Doc wasn't concerned about it. MCV was 75 (high), MCHC was 31.2 (low) and MVP was 5.9 (also low). Also no concern from my vet. Since he has 3 Malts now and one with MVD plus 3 or 4 at Rainbow Bridge I am pretty confident in his assessments.

Now Pico can get his teeth cleaned but my vet wants me to wait until he returns from a trip because he wants to be there when Pico is anesthesized. What a blessing to have a vet like him!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
according to my "normals" those values were normal.and the wbc was slightly low...so that is why he wasnt worried. apparently if they were high according to his machine it wasnt a significant increase.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
no prob! glad I could tell you good news!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
So glad he's doing better

Just thought I'd add though that he's amazzzzingly cute haha. That's exactly what I want little Lucy's hair to look like when she's older.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JMM,

Yes he takes 90mg Denosyl daily on an empty stomach and has been taking it since he was diagnosed around 1 year.

No other supplements, though. He gets little treats at our mealtime such as peanut butter, sweet potatoe, brown rice, green bean, squash, whole wheat toast bite, things like that. Just the tiniest amounts, though, just enough to jump start his appetite and then he generally cleans his plate of l/d.

I'll ask my vet about antioxidants. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Anitoxidants can be good for the liver. Vit E or something like 3V caps can be given. Dr. Center recommended Vit E for my dogs. It is a pretty low dose that she recommended and she feels it is very safe long-term at that dose. Mikey got 25 IU once a day (he's on so many other meds right now, he's not getting the Vit E).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Feb 19 2005, 06:24 PM
JMM,

Yes he takes 90mg Denosyl daily on an empty stomach and has been taking it since he was diagnosed around 1 year.

No other supplements, though.  He gets little treats at our mealtime such as peanut butter, sweet potatoe, brown rice, green bean, squash, whole wheat toast bite, things like that.  Just the tiniest amounts, though, just enough to jump start his appetite and then he generally cleans his plate of l/d.

I'll ask my vet about antioxidants.  What do you recommend?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36399
[/QUOTE]
Pico's Parent...just wondering what symptoms Pico had that led to the diagnosis? I had never even heard of this until MO and SM.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 19 2005, 08:11 PM
Anitoxidants can be good for the liver. Vit E or something like 3V caps can be given. Dr. Center recommended Vit E for my dogs. It is a pretty low dose that she recommended and she feels it is very safe long-term at that dose. Mikey got 25 IU once a day (he's on so many other meds right now, he's not getting the Vit E).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36435
[/QUOTE]
What are those for ???? Kodie was not told to be on anything at this time in his life. When do you know its time to put your dog on something like that?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts