Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some good photos of the girls together and I'm using my Mom's Nikon Coolpix P80. I am trying to figure out how to take a picture where the subject is in focus and everything in the background is blurry. I have read the manual that came with the camera and still can't get it to work. If anyone can give me tips on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Not sure what features you camera has, but basically you need to be in A (aperture priority) not automatic, and choose the lowest A number you can. Like F2.8.range not F22 range, or whatever your camera will do. Try to have your subject as far away from the background as you can too and get in close to your subject. It is harder to do well on a point and shoot camera than a lens on an SLR. Hope it works out for you :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
OK so I have my camera set on the Aperture setting. I set it to F 2.8. Should I use the zoom or not?
The more you zoom the more subject isolation you will get, but with a P and S and some lenses, as you zoom it will no longer let you choose 2.8. It may go up to as much as 5.6. So I suggest you experiment to see what works best in your case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts