Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flexi has come out with a retractable 16' leash with a pink handle!

I got one for my little girl. Pink, you know...!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
awww cute
i've been thinking about getting a retractable leash; anyone wanna tell me some pros/cons? thanks in advance.

obviously a2z is a fan

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 31 2005, 05:51 PM
awww cute 
i've been thinking about getting a retractable leash; anyone wanna tell me some pros/cons? thanks in advance.

obviously a2z is a fan

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47940
[/QUOTE]

Jessica,

On the package of retractable leash there is a warning that it could amputate a finger (or a limb or something like that). I have gotten minor cuts on my legs from our retractable leash. So, that's a major con.

The postitive side is that Miko can run pretty far from me in a park. But its not necessary on a regular street walking. I can't let Miko off the leash in a park unless my husband is with me (cause Miko tends to run from us) so a retractable leash is great when I take Miko to the park by myself.

I have never used a regular leash, but I really do hate my retractable one. One of these days I will buy a regular leash.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I've used one quite a bit and it does serve a purpose..... It is great if you want to give your dog freedom to explore while walking yet still have control. I don't think it is for a serious walk where you want the dog to heel. It is more for just a stroll where you want your dog to take his/her time and sniff things, etc.

I found that I had to learn how to handle the Flexi though... You can't just retract it all at once or I think it could hurt your dog. After using it a little while and getting the "feel" for it, it becomes second nature, but it does take some getting used to.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
great, thanks
i think i'm gonna get the leash. does anyone know where to get the pink one? i checked some websites and couldn't find it

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i saw it today at petsmart!! its super cute.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i used to have an american cocker spaniel and she was on the retractable leash and was pulling and she circled me suddenly

my stepdad was holding the leash and she was so strong the flexi leash burned into my left hand and it bled and i still have the scar

it was about 3-4 yrs ago

but i still use the flexi on jongee

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saw a pink retractible leash at Target, I think it was like $10 or $12 they have a great new line with pink fluffy beds and carriers, very fun if I only had a girl!

I loved using the flexi lead at my parents house, gave my dog the freedom to fun and frolic while I was still in control. You can't "reel" them in, that is true but you can determine how much lead you will give. There is a small button that you can push that acts as a "brake" so that they can be kept as close as 2 feet from you or let them run about 15 feet from you. I didn't use it when Jericho was a puppy though as I might have gotten tangled up in it but otherwise it worked great.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Mar 31 2005, 08:44 PM
i used to have an american cocker spaniel and she was on the retractable leash and was pulling and she circled me suddenly

my stepdad was holding the leash and she was so strong the flexi leash burned into my left hand and it bled and i still have the scar

it was about 3-4 yrs ago

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47996
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I mean and similar type of things happened to me a few times. I don't have any scars though. It mostly happens when Miko is playing with another dog in a park. I still use the flexi but I am getting annoyed with it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Apr 1 2005, 12:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mee
@Mar 31 2005, 08:44 PM

it was about 3-4 yrs ago

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47996
That's exactly what I mean and similar type of things happened to me a few times. I don't have any scars though. It mostly happens when Miko is playing with another dog in a park. I still use the flexi but I am getting annoyed with it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48008
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was going to say (but for some reason didn't) in my post on the Flexi that it is not good to use when your dog wants to play with another. Having a Flexi on your dog when he wants to play with another dog is not a good idea. It just isn't good for that purpose... a regular leash is bad enough trying to keep from being tangled, etc. but with a Flexi it is just about impossible.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Mar 31 2005, 10:43 PM
I'd like to add one con would be that you cannot just "reel" your dog in because its retractable.  Its only for gathering the slack. ie. if you needed to give your dog a little tug, or pull them to you, you'd need to do that by holding the string if you get what I mean

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47995
[/QUOTE]
I actually have reeled Kallie in.....I just do it in tiny steps at a time.... I move forward and then I push on the button for a very short time and it pulls and then I do it again. It is as if she had a short leash. It is hard to explain but I do believe that is how it is intended to be used. Otherwise it is very difficult to control the dog or get him/her to come closer or stay away from something yukky, etc. It is important not to touch the cord of the Flexi..... that is how accidents happen.

There is a great example on the Flexi site showing the way to retract the leash:
How To Use The Flexi

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't use the Flexi's now, but when I did I only bought the ones that were all material, (I think they are called belt?). Anyway, the wide material is the entire thing. I found this kind much safer (was afraid of cuts with the other one--I am clumsy). If you needed to you could grab the belt and use that to reel the dog in without getting cut.
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Apr 1 2005, 07:22 AM
I don't use the Flexi's now, but when I did I only bought the ones that were all material, (I think they are called belt?). Anyway, the wide material is the entire thing. I found this kind much safer (was afraid of cuts with the other one--I am clumsy). If you needed to you could grab the belt and use that to reel the dog in without getting cut.
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48016
[/QUOTE]

This is the one I have. It is called an All Belt Flexi. I love it, it is much safer then the cord ones. They are a little bit harder to find though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts