Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it was on my local news channel. A little girl went out to play in front of her home when a neighbor's 2 pit bulls brutally attacked her. Her grandmother came out to try and pull the dogs off, and they attacked her as well. The child was killed and the grandmother is in the hospital in serious condition. When the police got there, the dogs were still circling. The neighbors had complained many times about the dogs running loose. The owner was cited only a week ago. The dogs were kept in a fenced yard but kept jumping out. So tragic and so preventable. The dogs were killed by police. There will be criminal charges.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
OMG. People don't keep their dogs properly restrained. Thy knew they could jump out and did nothing? People are such morons. A child is dead,a grandmother hurt,not to mention having witnessed such a horror and two animals dead,mor ethan tragic!

I had a (former)friend who had a bull mastiff,she was the same way,it was an aggressive dog. They lived in the country but still had kids in the area. they'd let the dog run loose,not restrained at all. One time the dog pinned a boy 65 pounds) against a tree,only thing between him and this huge dog (over 100 pounds) was his bike and still she didn't restrain him... He got lucky ,only a few minor scrapes... Real lucky!

One day the dog died, My god she was an idiot! She lost a few dogs to being hit by cars,would always let them run loose,even when she lived in town....

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How sad for the little girl that was killed, her grandmother, & their family. This sort of thing is 100% preventable and it happens all too much. I don't care whether it was done by pit bulls, labs, yorkies, etc. It doesn't matter the breed...although I do think some breeds are more inclined to do this sort of thing.

I truly believe any dog owner who keeps their dog outside even for 5 minutes should be REQUIRED to have a 6 foot tall fence. Those little squatty fences that are 3-4 feet tall do NOTHING to contain a dog...even a medium sized dog can jump that if they are determined. I am so upset over this. Some dog owners are horrible.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That is just awful :( We have a pit bull that lives two houses down from us and has attacked our beagle and jumped into our in ground swimming pool. He is very vicious and the owner has kids who forget to close the latch on his pen. We have had to call the police because of it. It terrifies me because Bailey goes outside to potty. I am always standing there with her watching towards their house to be sure that he isn't loose.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My sincere condolences to the child's family. What a shame. Some people should not be in society, let alone own any animal or be near a child.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So sad. This is exactly what I said about when they kill small dogs too. Because that is the ONLY type of dog you ever hear about doing that. I've never heard of a border collie, or germam shepard killing a child or small dog. Something needs to be done about this. People should require licenses to own them or something and be resonsponsible for them. It's always when they are "loose" too. Gee, be more active in your dogs life! Don't let it out.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Some states do require special permits and insurance for vicious dogs. Pits are considered vicious dogs in some states even if that individual dog hasn't bitten or had any incidents,they're just on the the dangerous breed list.
Sad because I've met some pretty sweet pits....through friends and relatives that have them.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I live in a small midwest town.. and worked at a vet hospital and we had many incidences of pit bulls attacking small dogs. A member of my kennel club was attacked while walking her australian shepherd.. the pit bull somehow was able to follow her into her home and with the help of a passing by I think mailman using a tire iron was able to pry the dog's mouth off her dog. There is a small town near by where it is illegal to breed pit bulls. I am not an expert and there may be someone on this forum who knows more, it seems wise to me to always be protective if you have a small dog coming close to strange bigger dogs. Anytime at dogs shows those who have smaller breeds are keenly aware of dangers of crowded areas with big dogs. I hold my dog close because several times bigger dogs have jumped up at my dog. There was an incidence of an Irish Wolf Hound killing 1 or ?2 small dogs several years ago at a dog show. In her own home a lady I sold a Maltese to was attacked by an Akita owned by her daughter and had serious surgery on both hands.. She was enough concerned about this dog being in their home over the holidays that she boarded her Maltese.. The Akita was put down. At a dog show a breeder of Akitas that had a booth told me to NOT bring my Maltese to his booth to look at his products since he had the Akita there with him and he said this kind of dog is very interested in ? attacking small dogs. Another lady I sold 2 Maltese to turned her child day care into a doggy day care.. she LOVES dogs.. and was very protective and cautious with bringing new dogs into her place and with her Maltese.. BUT tragedy happened when a new larger big dog came and in a rush after being gone she allowed all the dogs out to potty while ? I think she went to potty. This new big dog attacked her Maltese and he died. I love all dogs and have hugged on some amazing loving pit bulls while I worked a the vet hospital, I don't know why there are too many stories of their aggression.. I think it is wise to be very cautious with small dogs, children and stranger bigger dogs.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
So sad. This is exactly what I said about when they kill small dogs too. Because that is the ONLY type of dog you ever hear about doing that. I've never heard of a border collie, or germam shepard killing a child or small dog. Something needs to be done about this. People should require licenses to own them or something and be resonsponsible for them. It's always when they are "loose" too. Gee, be more active in your dogs life! Don't let it out.
^ We had a member here whose Malt was attacked by a German Shepherd. The Malt was on a leash being taken for a walk and a German Shepherd came out of nowhere and attacked. The Malt lived after intensive veterinary care.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Snowy was attacked by a big dog too (mixed breed) while he was ON LEASH when the other big dog came out of nowhere to attack! but THANKFULLY owner was able to free my little angel from her dog a few seconds later (as owner was right close to me) and Snowy was not physically injured *phew* only was in shock/terrified :(

That said, there is a chance of *any* big dog to attack our little ones! which is really annoying when big dog owner doesn't keep his/her big dog on a leash!

·
Registered
615 Posts
So sad. My grandmother & 2 other ladies were attacked by a pit about 5 years ago. It jumped its fence. She was in the hospital for quite a while. Now my grandmother is even scared of little Mindi. I wish people would be more responsible

My neighbor has a english mastiff. I always keep an eye on him. He has only gotten out once (would let a neigbor out of her car) and the neighbors have lined his fence top and bottom with electric wire but still makes me nervous. He is HUGE..

·
Registered
86 Posts
All of these stories make me so mad! An irresponsible owner should not be given a citation, he/she should be given a substantial fine and possibly jail time. I agree, most of the time its not black and white - an accident is an accident, but this guy had a citation just last week - he knew exactly how his dog was! If it is determined the dog is not safe for the public it should be taken away - too many innocent people and dogs are at risk.

How can one protect themselves from a vicious dog? If a small dog or a child/adult is attacked, what can he/she or a bystander do? Try to help and end up in the hospital like the sweet little grandma; she too could've gotten killed! I am sorry but I think she should be able to sue and slap that irresponsible person with a huge judgement!

When I was very little, I was walking on the beach with my family and out of nowhere this german sheppard appears and bites my brother on the arm twice! - he was 3-5 years old, just walking along. It was so random, completely uncalled for, totally out of nowhere, baffling! The owner apologized and that was it... We were very lucky my brother got away with a couple of bite scars - it could've been much worse.

I think a good portion of the viscious dog owners are insecure, irresponsible morons; they view thier dog as part of themselves and in some sick way they enjoy the intimidation and fear thier dogs cause in people. It makes them feel bigger, badder and stronger by having such dogs.

Yes, this topic makes my blood boil...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Other breeds (like GSD's, huskies, etc.) have killed both other dogs and people. For a monthly breakdown of human deaths due to dog bites, scroll down to the section called "Canine homicides: July 2006 to present" in this link: DOG BITE LAW - Dangerous and Vicious Dogs

In 2010, several of the fatalities from dog bites were from other breeds or mixes (rotties, GSDs, mixes, huskies, unidentified, etc.). A vast majority were from pitbull types though and that means even more considering that they're not such popular breeds. I just think it's good to be aware of the danger around any dog that isn't under human control (leashed, contained, etc.) and/or showing signs of aggression or unease.

I am happy about the breed specific legislation we now have in Ontario, and am somewhat disappointed that so many dog clubs in the area seemed to be very much against it. I think that's doing a disservice to the public and limits their future voice in other issues. I also feel like a minority sometimes being a dog lover and saying that I support it (except maybe here). I do however think it's such a shame that it had to come to this... the real shame is that people created breeds like this--with a propensity to viciously attack and kill people--to begin with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts