Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my mom, me, and sunny flew from west palm beach-newark the 24th its only a little over an hour flight but i was still so proud of sunny...although we did 'drug' him as another person with there maltese on the flight was calling it, the vet said to give him half a benedrill no every traquilizer or anything just that.

Anyways we got to the airport like 2 hours before or flight and it was like 6am the airport was almost empty so i found a little corner with no one around and let sunny strech his legs before having to sit in that bag for so long but a very nice guy who worked for the airline told me that if the cop saw sunny out of his bag it would be a $500 fine, not money i have sitting around so sunny went back into his bag and took his benedryll.

Getting on the plane we saw another maltese on the same flight he was so cute although the owner did make a kinda rude comment about how my 6 month old maltese is bigger than their 6 year old one (sure hope they dont post on here oh well i will proubly never see them again). Sunny was in the medium sized sherpa bag, i proubly could have fit him in a small but i wanted him to be able to stand up and turn around just like in his kennle. It fit ok under the seat find but it was really hard to put it down or pick it up while i was sitting in the seat becuase my legs were in the way. I wish i would have bought him a ticket so i could have put his bag on up on a seat. I did at one point i did have his bag on my lap with just his head sticking out but a flight attendent told me i couldnt do that, although the person working at the check in line by the gate had told me its find just so long as the person sitting near you is ok with it and she was she loved sunny(as all people should lol) so he spent most all the trip under the seat. He was very good, i think he would have slept right through the ride even without the meds but he is a puppy and i would have felt really bad if he started barking on the flight, i mean a crying baby is bad enough but i can see people getting really mad about a barking dog

Like i said it was a short flight the driver came and picked us up from the airport they had told him we have a dog with us and after he looking around for like a min finally asked me where the dog was lol i guess they didnt mention what kind of dog becuase when i pointed the the bag sitting next to me he looked confused. I have gotten the hang of taking him outside here finally, although he keeps walking out on to the middle of the pool cover ( he is the only one who can walk out there without it breaking) and pooing there where no one can clean it up still spring lol, but in the first day he peed twice in the house here, he hasnt done that in a month at home we get here, twice in a day, cant really blame him though we are from south florida it hasa been getting into the teens at night here.

So yeah we still have the flight back but i think it will be fine i dont know if i will even 'drug' him again.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Awwww. I was wondering how things were going up north for you and Sunny. So glad that he did good on the flight. I was in Atlanta last week and saw someone walking through the airport carrying their dog in their arms. I wonder how far they got before a security person told them to put it back in the crate? Oh well, at least he was good on the plane. I'd rather hear a barking dog than a crying child - but that's just me. LOL I hope you really enjoy your holiday and I know that Sunny will do great on the way home, too.
Susan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thanks for the update on your plane ride. So glad that everything worked out for you and Sunny! That is really great that you were able to take him with you...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am glad to hear that your airplane ride went well. That must be so stressful the first time around.

You know, it is such a shame that our country is SO dog unfriendly. To think they can charge you $500 for just bringing your baby out of his carrier. That's insane. Dog owners, let's unite and start campaigningfor rights!!!

I travel frequently to Switzerland and dogs are allowed everywhere there: on trains, buses, in public areas, in restaurants, etc...Now why can't we do that here?

When I flew last year (via Amsterdam), a young couple had a lovely Bishon Frise across the aisle from me. Well, the airline staff let them take him out of his carrier, he sat on their laps (out of the carrier) the whole way, and he was allowed to walk down the aisle to strech his legs (it was a long flight).

This is the way it should be! France and Germany are also very dog friendly, and I am sure other Eurpean countries are as well...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
You are exactly right about other countries. I found the UK to be dog friendly too. Maybe we are not dog friendly because Americans can be so irresponsible about their animals. I rarely see anyone in my town picking up after their dogs and leash laws are ignored most of the time. I guess if all of the dog owners would take care of their animals we would have an easier time. Wonder if countries like Switzerland have trouble with unwanted animals, etc.?? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well like i said the guy who told me about the $500 fine inside the airport was really nice about it and kept going on about he didnt want to be mean but thought i would really like to know what would happen if a cop saw him, which i am really glad he told me i wouldnt have been happy getting a ticket

On the plane when the flight attendent told me to stick his head back into the bag all the other flight attendent kinda glarded at her lol i guess they didnt have a proublem with him

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm glad the flight worked out for you! I'm so worried about taking Tuffy anywhere because places are so unfriendly to dogs. And it's so weird to me that the US is this way considering soooooo many people have dogs! Ugh. I guess it's those bad owners who let their dogs do whatever and don't train them that ruin it for the rest of us. What amazes me is that a child who is screaming at the top of their lungs, throwing things around, making a mess is welcomed with open arms everywhere but my well trained dog in his bag, not bothering anyone is unacceptable. What crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts