Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about purchasing one of those flat tvs for xmas. I noticed that there are plasma and LCD tvs. Do any of you own one? What's the difference? Which do you think is better? Thanks if you can help!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
OMG! I was getting ready to post this same question. My husband would know, but since I'm going to get him a new TV for Christmas, I can't ask....Hope we get some posts here.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I was looking at this for my boyfriend as well... until I decided to get him a new car stereo/speakers system instead... so I have all this lit on it from the internet....

Size: Both LCD TVs and plasma TVs are thin as you could hope for. In screen size plasmas usually run larger though don’t usually come in smaller sizes, which is sometimes needed. Viewing Angle: Plasma have a wider viewing angle. Life Span: Both have good lifespan. Issues: Plasma sometimes suffer from “burn in” effect. LCD TVs are sometimes susceptible to a delay that causes the outline of figures or objects to appear jagged. Color: LCD TVs are renowned for a sharp picture and vibrant color. Plasma TVs are known for a wide range of colors and accurate color reproduction. Brightness: LCD TVs are said to do slightly better in bright-light conditions. Black Levels: Plasma TVs generally produce very black blacks whereas an LCD TV will produce a very dark charcoal gray. Contrast Levels: Plasma TVs, technically, are said to have greater contrast levels. Cost: Prices for both types of TVs are decreasing rapidly.[/B]
Steudle believes that consumers will move to LCDs for better screen quality, higher reliability (LCDs have none of the burn-in issues associated with plasma), and longer product life. LCDs last for about 50,000 hours versus 30,000 hours for today's plasma screens, according to LG.Philips.[/B]
Basically -- I'd get it down to:

1. How big do you want it? (REAL BIG, then get a Plasma. Normal size: get a LCD)

2. Do you watch tv at night or in day? (Night: Plasma. Day: LCD.)

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 42" Pioneer plasma here that I bought about 2 months ago (my housewarming gift to myself! LOL) and I absolutely love it. Like you are doing, I researched the pros and cons of both and was pulling my hair out trying to decide between the two...I finally ended up going to BestBuy to really take a good look at both types....and I just liked the plasma picture better. So I went for it. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
An I just bought a Sharp LCD and I love that one!! I agree with Pippinsmom - I don't think you can go wrong either way....the Plasma's are really nice-we'll probably get one for our living room. The one I bought is for out bedroom and it hangs on our fireplace--soooooo nice. Good luck!! It can be very confusing--I think your best bet is to go to a store and check out the size you want and only look at the lcd's and plasma's in your size and compare what they have to offer. I just love that there coming down in price!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Thanks everyone! The TV in the upstairs of my parent's home is just OK. But we don't want to start the warranty ticking on the TV that we'll have in our Great Room or our bedroom. I'm going to get a 32" LCD that we can use now and then it'll be used in the workout room once we get the house rebuilt. And the prices really are dropping. By the time we are ready to furnish our home, it'll be really interesting to see how things are. I think that the big Plasma would be overkill in the small den that we are currently using.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If you get a LCD make sure it's HDTV - high definition. Some of them are only enhanced definition.

We have a Flat Panel LCD HDTV and really like it. The definition is excellent.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Thank you everyone! That was so helpful. I have a 50" (50 something anyway) in my bedroom and its a rear projection and it just SUCKS. I've had it serviced so many times and they just don't fix the problem. Every time I turn around there is a problem. When there's a dark picture, you can see uneven lines in the black/grey running from top to bottom, and when I came home and turned it on the night before, everything had a red outline. I've had it serviced like 3 or 4 times and they always have it for 2 weeks. And not to mention, the stinky picture quality is so crappy, they said that "all big screens vary in picture quality because it's such a larger image compared to a 27" tv." What a load of bull! I'm so sick of it. I want to get a 32" flat panel next. The prices are so reasonable now, around $1000, you think they'll come down some more?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I personally prefer the plasma and do not have any problems with the burned-in image problem. Yes, I understand the plasma lifespan is limited, but who does not get a new tv after 7-10 years nowadays anyways?

With the LCD, it's by definition, Liquid Crystal, ther is a problem with "bleeding". That is, upon impact, the crystals inside the screen is broken (although, physically, on the outside, it looks fine). This is when you can see the colors actually bleed down the screen... This can happen if someone hit the tv from the top, side, or just a strong jolt during moving...

I agree to go for HDTV, not just EDTV or whatever else that is available. Also to make sure that it's a true HDTV not HDTV ready. The difference is the converter, is it built-in or will you have to purchase another component.

We love our Panasonic 42 plasma. It's the best thing since sliced bread since we like to relax at home with our 2 <strike>dogs</strike> babies and watch the numerous hours of tv recorded on our dvr (oh yes, make sure you invest in either TIVO or a service through your local cable company that can record yoru shows).

We may get another one for the bedroom. I'm still deciding on that because I believe the bedroom, in a marriage, is not a place for tv. BUT it's sure comfy =)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
We may get another one for the bedroom. I'm still deciding on that because I believe the bedroom, in a marriage, is not a place for tv. BUT it's sure comfy =)[/B]
If you have not done it yet, DON'T put a TV in your bedroom.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We may get another one for the bedroom. I'm still deciding on that because I believe the bedroom, in a marriage, is not a place for tv. BUT it's sure comfy =)[/B]
If you have not done it yet, DON'T put a TV in your bedroom.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm interested in hearing your perspective on this matter. I'm leaning towards No TV, but I can't really justify it. I've just always heard that it's not good to have a TV in the bedroom

·
Registered
513 Posts
We have a 42" Panasonic plasma and we absolutely love it. The colour is something else. I was told one of the differences between the plasma and LCD TV's is the plasma can be view from any angle, but the LCD is better viewed straight on. As far as our plasma goes, it is true, we can see a clear vibrant picture from any angle. I don't know about LCD because we don't have one. Good luck choosing...I think both are great compared to what we used to watch.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Plasmas and LCD's are both good if you are looking to hang them on the wall, otherwise I would suggest getting a DLP tv. It is basically the same, however you don't have the issue with burn ins. Also you can't hang it on the wall, but it is still a rather thin tv. Plasmas also have a short life span and once the gasses run out the tv is useless and can no longer be used, where as with a DLP if the buld burns out then you can replace it. ANother point to consider...not sure if any one in your house plays video games on the tv, but it is not recommended on plasmas and LCD's due to the burn ins, but you can on DLP's. My fiance works at Best Buy and he was in the Home Theater Dept. he usually recommended DLP's unless the customer wanted to hang it on the wall. If you have any questions I can ask him...just let me know.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just clicked on and this was so great
I'm having a guy out to the house Sat. Getting a flat screen of some kind for my sons room ( Christmas ) anyway you guys answered all of the questions . this is so nice I was in the
dark about which one does what
Thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Plasmas and LCD's are both good if you are looking to hang them on the wall, otherwise I would suggest getting a DLP tv. It is basically the same, however you don't have the issue with burn ins. Also you can't hang it on the wall, but it is still a rather thin tv. Plasmas also have a short life span and once the gasses run out the tv is useless and can no longer be used, where as with a DLP if the buld burns out then you can replace it. ANother point to consider...not sure if any one in your house plays video games on the tv, but it is not recommended on plasmas and LCD's due to the burn ins, but you can on DLP's. My fiance works at Best Buy and he was in the Home Theater Dept. he usually recommended DLP's unless the customer wanted to hang it on the wall. If you have any questions I can ask him...just let me know.[/B]

What no video games for either of them , what is the point of spending that kind of money on your tv, if you can't play video games on it. gee Now I don't know what to do... I had plans of getting one of these as well but wanted to put it over the electric fire place on the wall, in the new home. Now what is the point. We wanted to play video game and watch movies in the living room. Gee what a bummer. not to mention i wanted to do this to save space in the living room.

My friend has a plazma and he plays ps2 on it all the time. I just asked him and he said so long as you don't leave it on pause for 30 min it should be fine. I guess that would be said for any tv regarding burnin

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plasmas and LCD's are both good if you are looking to hang them on the wall, otherwise I would suggest getting a DLP tv. It is basically the same, however you don't have the issue with burn ins. Also you can't hang it on the wall, but it is still a rather thin tv. Plasmas also have a short life span and once the gasses run out the tv is useless and can no longer be used, where as with a DLP if the buld burns out then you can replace it. ANother point to consider...not sure if any one in your house plays video games on the tv, but it is not recommended on plasmas and LCD's due to the burn ins, but you can on DLP's. My fiance works at Best Buy and he was in the Home Theater Dept. he usually recommended DLP's unless the customer wanted to hang it on the wall. If you have any questions I can ask him...just let me know.[/B]
What does DLP stand for?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
We bought a plasma in June of this year & already have a problem with it. It has a white line going all the way down it, when it's turned on. Repair man was here yesterday for the 2nd time with a new part but it didn't fix the problem. We told them we want a new one so we'll see. We do not play games on it or leave it on for several hours. Good luck! I don't recommend a plasma but ours may just be an isolated problem!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts